Losing signal via hdmi from 722

Stalker

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
Kentucky
Anyone else have a problem with losing signal fronm the 722 using an hdmi connection? I just got this dvr a few weeks ago and was using a regular tv and cable connection and just upgraded to an Insignia brand 120 hz. HDTV with 4 hdmi ports.

When I first connected it to the 722 the audio and video all excellant but for some reason when the tv is turned off for a period of time and turned back on it shows no signal, and so far the only way I resolve it is reboot the dvr.

Some things I have already tried to troubleshoot is testing the other 3 ports but same result, and I also purchased higher quality hdmi cables with no luck. I have tried the componet connection and it works fine so any ideas or anyone else have this problem?

Try hooking up the tv w/ component cables or something like that and just see what that does if it does the same thing i would try putting the recv on another tv w/ the same kind of connection you were using on your new tv and if it still does it then its the recv if it does not then its the tv somehow putting its self back in some sort of default mode

Anyone else have a problem with losing signal fronm the 722 using an hdmi connection? I just got this dvr a few weeks ago and was using a regular tv and cable connection and just upgraded to an Insignia brand 120 hz. HDTV with 4 hdmi ports.

When I first connected it to the 722 the audio and video all excellant but for some reason when the tv is turned off for a period of time and turned back on it shows no signal, and so far the only way I resolve it is reboot the dvr.

Some things I have already tried to troubleshoot is testing the other 3 ports but same result, and I also purchased higher quality hdmi cables with no luck. I have tried the componet connection and it works fine so any ideas or anyone else have this problem?
I suspect that the problem is with your TV and not the 722 receiver, because you say that it happens only "when the tv is turned off for a period of time and turned back on".

It sound like your TV doesn't detect properly the present of the HDMI signal. During the 722 rebooting it create a different sequence of HDMI signal and your TV detects only that.

When you reboot your 722 make sure that the TV is off. If you still do not see any picture after reboot and turning on the TV then it is definitely the TVs fault.

You can also verify that it is your TV problem if you have another HDMI source like a DVD or an TV game and the problem still exist.

Will unplugging and reconnecting the hdmi cable allow the TV to properly recognise the receiver?

I have had this problem with 722 and Sharp LCD, sometimes switching inputs on TV will fix it, sometimes unplugging HDMI cable will fix, it's hit and miss for me, so I start out using component and after awhile just for fun I try to get HDMI working. Every time I turn off system while using HDMI, I will get no video when I turn things back on, so this tells me that rebooting 722 won't fix the problem.
Dan

I called Dish an the advanced techs said they were aware of this issue an it was occuring with all thier HD DVR models...is it ocurring with yours?

No...but I have experimented and if I leave it on the hdm the signal returns eventually...any ideas???

I have a Philips TV and never had such a problem. If this is true and it is "occurring with all thier HD DVR models..." they would not stay in business for very long.

The main thing I would try is using component cables, there are some known issues with HDMI cables, but switching to component cables is a good workaround.

Do the lights on the front of your receiver turn on normally when it's turned on? You should be getting the green TV1 light and orange mode light

I called Dish an the advanced techs said they were aware of this issue an it was occuring with all thier HD DVR models...is it ocurring with yours?

With respect, you either did not hear what they said correctly, or the agent is just wrong. If that was the case, there would be thousands of posts about it. I have three DVR's on three different brand sets all connected by HDMI with no problems at all. There are however the occasional problems with a particular TV reported by people, with any set-up not just Dish. It will usually be more the problem of the TV than the receiver.

As another poster suggested, if you want to continue to use the HDMI cable, you should be able to change the input on the TV, then change back to the HDMI imput and the TV should look for the signal and connect. I would also try a different HDMI cable if you have one and see if that helps. I have personally experienced an HDMI cable that works fine in one application, but not in another.

Component cables will give you virtually the same picture quality, just not as convenient. You also will not be able to order HD PPV movies if you do this.

Is it possible there have been problems with Insignia in general and that is what the Dish agent said?

Last edited:
No...but I have experimented and if I leave it on the hdm the signal returns eventually...any ideas???

Have you tried unplugging the hdmi cable while the tv is off and then plugging it back in after you turn the tv on? I've never had a problem, but I'm running the signal through my Onyko home theater receiver. A drawback to using component video and analog audio is that you only get stereo sound not surround.

I get surround using my Onkyo, either HDMI or component.
Dan

How is your audio connected to your Onkyo? If optical, you would but if using r/w rca cables you can only get stereo. You may be outputting to a 5.1/7.1 speaker system, but it won't be true 5.1 or 7.1. The OP was talking about connecting his receiver directly to the TV.

My 722, Toshiba DVD Recorder and Panasonic Bluray are all hooked to my Onkyo via hdmi. And the Onyko is hooked to my Samsung lcd via hdmi. Never had a problem with the set up.

Its possible they meant that they are seeing HDMI issues across the board. HDMI as a handshaked medium sometimes won't be perfect and the signal reset you're forcing helps ... it is often device specific and the two devices that are having the problem get updates to handle more gracefully resetting, re-training, and syncing.
Papa Google will find you (and I mean *EVERYONE*) a bunch of information, some anecdotal, much of it not if obtained from higher quality sources..

http://www.eetimes.com/design/commu...VI-HDCP-handshake-problems--how-to-avoid-them (2007)

http://www.hdmi.org/installers/interoperability.aspx

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-AlVcI0WoJhc/learn/learningcenter/home/cables/hdmi.html?page=3 (2011)
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-PzXusnari1q/learn/learningcenter/home/cables/hdmi.html?page=3
and that statement pretty much makes the same case ... that given time, the moon and sun aligned and the seven pillars of gulu have sanctioned it, hdmi will commence yet again.

Ok, I'm being dramatic ... its not always that bad ... and generally everything does work ... its just that some times, for some reason, something doesn't ... and people pay the price until the device sources (this case Dish/Echostar) creates updates that allow their HDMI to be more "forgiving".

What our mission (as dish customers) needs to be ... is to get dish to open up their front lines of denial ... so that people can openly report problems, openly *track* those problems, and be notified of problem resolution (bugfixes) ... anything less and dish always looks the rose .. with officer barbrady out front "nothing to see here move along people".