Loss of even transponders on 119. Help?

bikiniduck

Original poster
Apr 12, 2008
I still have my original Dish 3000 system from '98, so I'm happy its lasted a good 10 years now with no problems. Probably time to upgrade, but cant justify the cost for it. Still a noob though when it comes to the more complicated troubleshooting.

So last week all signal died from my dish. Repointing it didnt work, so I bought another LNB from eBay. I just installed it, and while that fixed one problem, it caused another. Now only the odd transponders work. Signal strength is around 85-90 on transponder 11, around the same its been forever now. But it seems that all of the even transponders on 119 get zero signal.

Would this loss of even transponders be caused by the age of the system? My original LNB has a single output connector, the new one has 2.

I did a switch test and I get
1 | 1 | 2 | 2
119 | 119
even | odd | X | X
What exactly does that mean?

Anyways, does anyone have any suggestions on how I can fix this? Out of all the channels all I get now is NASA, QVC, and Comedy Central. >.<
I searched across this forum a bit before I posted, but cant seem to find a solution.

Thanks,

Check if the LNB says DISHPRO on it. If it does, its the wrong LNB for your system. Here are some troubleshooting steps to take:

1. Try using the other port on the LNB
2. Try a different wire from dish to receiver.
3. Try a different receiver on that outlet.

According to your switch matrix posted above, you are getting both odd and even TPs from 119

Yeah, it does say DishPRO on it.

So, when looking for another LNB, what exactly should I look for? Is it a specific model or style? I just went by the impression that if it fit in the mast for the dish it would work with the dish and my system.

Oh, and what should these things cost to get? I paid around $10 for the one I got, is that what they generally run? Just trying to get an idea of what to look for.

Thanks for the help.

DishPro technology places one of the polarities stacked on top of the other one. Your receiver from 1998 will only see the frequency band from 950-1450MHz. DishPro has two bands, one at 950-1450MHz and another at 1650-2150MHz. In this manner, fewer wires are needed. Since your receiver can't see this upper band, it appears as a signal loss to your box.

Typically, all DishPro equipment will say DISHPRO in black on the LNB. Legacy doesn't have these markings and will usually just say DISH NETWORK in gray. Another option is to buy a DishPro Adapter. The adapter will take the higher band and convert it down to the lower frequency when it detects the appropriate voltage levels from the receiver. However, I personally am not satisfied with their operational record. Also, it is just another potential failure point in the system.

Your best bet is to look for the correct LNB or buy a replacement receiver. Considering your 10 year history with DISH, I would bet you could get a great deal on a 500 dish upgrade and a new receiver. You may have to call a couple times before you get a CSR that recognizes the value of a decade-long subscriber.

I still have my original Dish 3000 system from '98, so I'm happy its lasted a good 10 years now with no problems. Probably time to upgrade, but cant justify the cost for it. Still a noob though when it comes to the more complicated troubleshooting.

So last week all signal died from my dish. Repointing it didnt work, so I bought another LNB from eBay. I just installed it, and while that fixed one problem, it caused another. Now only the odd transponders work. Signal strength is around 85-90 on transponder 11, around the same its been forever now. But it seems that all of the even transponders on 119 get zero signal.

Would this loss of even transponders be caused by the age of the system? My original LNB has a single output connector, the new one has 2.

I did a switch test and I get
1 | 1 | 2 | 2
119 | 119
even | odd | X | X
What exactly does that mean?

Anyways, does anyone have any suggestions on how I can fix this? Out of all the channels all I get now is NASA, QVC, and Comedy Central. >.<
I searched across this forum a bit before I posted, but cant seem to find a solution.

Thanks,

Did you perform a smart card reset on the receiver before the check switch?

Did you perform a smart card reset on the receiver before the check switch?

did you bother to read the responses?

He bought a DISHPRO LNB and has a Legacy receiver so they won't work. He needs a Legacy LNB. Check switch doesn't mean anything in this case

Of course I did.

But if he doesn't do a smart card reset on his receiver when he gets the right one, it won't likely work right either. It will likely return the previous incorrect check switch information.

Have a problem with a little reminder?

But if he doesn't do a smart card reset on his receiver when he gets the right one, it won't likely work right either. It will likely return the previous incorrect check switch information.
Never done a smart card reset on any of my boxes when swapping out LNB equipment. Also the check switch matrix will stay the same when he swaps LNB's so that wont need to be done

To the OP,

Some have given you the answer to your problem already. You have a Legacy receiver and the LNB you bought is Dish Pro. You need either a Legacy LNB or a Dish Pro Adapter for the Legacy receiver.

Another thing to mention is that you had a Legacy LNB before and RG59 could handle the frequencies but now that you have a DP LNB you must use RG6 rated to at least 2200 Mhz. What kind of cable do you have? If you have RG59 and want to keep the cable the answer is simple get a Legacy LNB.

To the OP,

Some have given you the answer to your problem already. You have a Legacy receiver and the LNB you bought is Dish Pro. You need either a Legacy LNB or a Dish Pro Adapter for the Legacy receiver.

Another thing to mention is that you had a Legacy LNB before and RG59 could handle the frequencies but now that you have a DP LNB you must use RG6 rated to at least 2200 Mhz. What kind of cable do you have? If you have RG59 and want to keep the cable the answer is simple get a Legacy LNB.

He would have to get a DishPro Adapter to keep the DishPro LNB as useful. Seems a bit of a waste as a legacy LNB can probably be had aftermarket for the same price or better than a DP Adapter. Also, the DP Adapter just adds another potential failure point so it is ill-advised.

He would have to get a DishPro Adapter to keep the DishPro LNB as useful. Seems a bit of a waste as a legacy LNB can probably be had aftermarket for the same price or better than a DP Adapter. Also, the DP Adapter just adds another potential failure point so it is ill-advised.

Might also be able to a new receiver, even a DVR, for less than it costs to get this configuration to work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)