Lost 2 OTA's with good signal strength

jrchip01

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 3, 2004
Virginia
Today I lost 2 OTA channels, even though both are showing more than adequate signal stregth and SNR's. Booted the STB , no change. Called Voom - CSR said he thought I might have "too much" signal, which is clearly not the case since I am receiving another OTA with the same nominal levels with no trouble. The CSR offered to schedule a tech to install a new more directional antenna ( I have the Stealth) which also makes no sense since this would create an even stronger signal. Anyway, his appointment scheduling software was non-functional, which is just as well since I suspect the cause of the problem lies elsewhere. Anyone else ever the problem of not being able to tune an OTA with good signal and SNR numbers?

i have one ota channel(upn) that will not come in. it shows a signal strength of 79 to 81 if i fine tune my antenna. the snr # always stays on 00. what exactly is the snr #? you would think with a siganl above 80 i should at least pick up an intermittent picture.

I don’t remember exactly what signal you need to have for a clear OTA picture, but I believe it is over 80…I seem to recall having problems with OTA channels when the signal is below 85.

ota signal strength

joep said:
I don’t remember exactly what signal you need to have for a clear OTA picture, but I believe it is over 80…I seem to recall having problems with OTA channels when the signal is below 85.

It won't lock below 85. Have you checked your local channel grid, voom, green button, local channels, to make sure that this channel is not hidden?

Is the Stealth antenna suggested for your area? Go to www.antennaweb.org can check to see if you need a better OTA antenna. I had the Stealth installed here in VA and it was the wrong OTA antenna for my area. I got upgraded to a Channelmaster 4228.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)