Lost a bunch of HD channels today, please help!

The whole EA, WA thing is a mess and it is all Dishes fault. Glad I live in a market where I can get the channels on the EA. They should have just left everything on one arc 110, 119 and chose a better satellite location that unlike 129 which the east can't see good. One arc that the entire US can see like DirecTV has will all the SD and HD channels on. DirecTV does it right, Dish has crap split on different arcs. A complete mess.

The whole EA, WA thing is a mess and it is all Dishes fault. Glad I live in a market where I can get the channels on the EA. They should have just left everything on one arc 110, 119 and chose a better satellite location that unlike 129 which the east can't see good. One arc that the entire US can see like DirecTV has will all the SD and HD channels on. DirecTV does it right, Dish has crap split on different arcs. A complete mess.

The only slot that covered every area would of been at 105 and that was the old slot used by Prime Star. DISH got the slot and used it for a while then took every thing off of it for residential customers. The foot print for that satellite covered all of Alaska and the continental U.S.A. . If DISH had already converted their subs to all hd receivers like on Eastern arc, then it wouldn't of been necessary for two arcs. Though having two arcs that see two different look angles helps with subs that have line of sight issues at their homes. So if western arc doesn't fit ,then maybe eastern arc would , or vice a versa.

Just want to say THANKS to Zach on the DIRT team. He got me all scheduled for this week and was able to upgrade 2 of my receivers for my at no cost. THANKS Zach GREAT JOB!

We have the same problem. My wife told me to dump Dish. We have been surviving well with less and less HD channels. In the past few weeks, so much is missing, we have not been watching Dish at all.

Would be nice if we could get someone out and move our single to a location that can see 129. We tried getting 129 with four installers a few years ago. I think our issue was a tree. If we move the single Dish about eight feet with an eve mount or a roof mount, we should be good. We have been a Dish customer since the beginning of time. If I have to pay $100 for this or do it myself, chances are high we will drop.

Matt - Can you help us out? Sending PM now with account info.

PM sent. Sorry for all the detail but thought it best to get it out of the way early. This should be an easy fix if we can get a good installer out here.

What an abortion!!

Matt: I contacted you last week because I too had lost most of my HD channels, And sure enough, I had a tech here two days later which was much appreciated. The tech looked over the situation and decided he wanted a second opinion from an expert.

I have a lot of trees on my property here in northern MI. This past summer I cut down 6 trees to improve my 61.5 view and thought that would be the end of my problems. And it was for a short while. Then DISH decided to rearranged its entire satellite setup and as you know, a lot of people are now unhappy.

Long story short - I was first told I could get the eastern arc by cutting a couple more trees. I have no problem with that. But the expert said I would need the 129 sat because the EA and the WA aren't 'mirrored'. WHO DESIGNED THIS ABORTION of a setup????? That almost guarantees that a) many will need two dishes... and b) some won't be able to ever get their HD channels back!! I'm one of the latter I guess.

The 129 sat is at 23 degrees in this neck of the woods and that's pretty damn low. I'd have to take out a whole swath of trees to be able to get it. So I guess it is very questionable whether I will continue to stay with DISH after being a customer for about TwElvE YeArS!!

And to add salt to the would, about 4 months ago I paid the $100 for "HD FOR LIFE" and then they took all the HD channels away!! I think DISH owes me a refund whether I remain a customer or not.

So Matt: What's your take on all this? In the meantime I will be checking out my alternatives with DIRECT-TV and cable.

IMHO you should say "to hell with 129" and go with an EA dish. At worst you would be missing your locals. This could be fixed by "moving" to a nearby DMA that is on EA. Northern Michigan... How about Detroit or Grand Rapids?

Last edited:
IMHO you should say "to hell with 129" and go with an EA dish. At worst you would be missing your locals. This could be fixed by "moving" to a nearby DMA that is on EA. Northern Michigan... How about Detroit or Grand Rapids?

Saying "to hell with 129" is pretty much a given. I'd have to take down more than a dozen trees. And I'm getting HD on the locals now with 61.5, 110, 119 but if all I would lose would be local HD and yet I'd pick up all the normal HD channels, I could live with that.... (until the next time they screw things up) 'Northern MI' is near Traverse City.

Traverse City is on 61.5 for the HD locals so if you went with an EA dish you'd be all set

As long as you have VIP receivers (211/211k/411k/622/722/922/612) you'll be fine

as for this nugget in your last post
But the expert said I would need the 129 sat because the EA and the WA aren't 'mirrored'
The only thing that isnt "mirrored" in most cases is locals in HD. There are some markets (Minneapolis being one) where locals are on both arcs. National programming is mirrored on both

Hopefully you have it nailed and I got bad information from the tech. But he said he was going to talk to the 'higher ups' to see what could be done, and came back with nothing... I hope you are right. I have VIP recvrs and I am pretty sure one or two more trees will give me the EA. Thanks!!!

Hopefully you have it nailed and I got bad information from the tech. But he said he was going to talk to the 'higher ups' to see what could be done, and came back with nothing... I hope you are right. I have VIP recvrs and I am pretty sure one or two more trees will give me the EA. Thanks!!!
Go to the DishPointer.com link at the top of the page and see what it looks like for using an EA dish (61.5, 72.7 & 77). Sounds like the tech they sent has done few if any installs of EA systems, so he wasn't "smart enuff" to tell you what can be done.

Go to the DishPointer.com link at the top of the page and see what it looks like for using an EA dish (61.5, 72.7 & 77). Sounds like the tech they sent has done few if any installs of EA systems, so he wasn't "smart enuff" to tell you what can be done.

Ok, this whole thing is getting to be a real pain..... Had another tech out today and we agreed on a few trees that need to come down in order to get the EA. That's no big deal and they'll be down within the hour. But the boss of this outfit is STILL saying that the EA won't give me the national HD channels.... thinks I need 129 which is an impossibility. We got into some heated words over the phone while the installer and myself stood on the roof. So long story short, I have an appmt on Tuesday to put up the 1000.4 dish for the EA, and I'll be taking the trees down.

Just one last check: will the EA give me all of the national channels?? I don't have to have local HD but should be getting my local HD on 61.5 (until they mess that up). I can't believe the head honcho of this local outfit doesn't have the straight story....

Yes; all us EA DMAs have all the national channels in mpeg4 HD as well as mpeg4 SD (for no apparent reason). Local HD channels are not also present in SD as they are on WA. That's about it.

Yes; all us EA DMAs have all the national channels in mpeg4 HD as well as mpeg4 SD (for no apparent reason). Local HD channels are not also present in SD as they are on WA. That's about it.

Thanks much for that information!!! The trees are down... I should be good to go....

I have cable within a 1/4 of a mile on either side of me, but no, not here... If cable was available I wouldn't be going to all this trouble.

Thanks again.

I also have lost some HD channels. I believe we are using 61.5, 110.9, and 119.0 on a ViP722 DVR-HD with software version L721. What has to be done to get my HD channels back? Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)