Lost all but 1 of my digital channels

SATisfied

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
Lineboro, MD
I've had this Digital Stream HD converter box for almost 6 mos., and all of a sudden, I lost signal on all but one channel. Nothing has changed since it was installed. I've tried rescanning, but still only finding the same single channel. Any ideas? I've already tried turning my outside antenna(rotor)....not getting signal, where as before, I was getting about 20 to 25 channels. I don't get it. Thanks for your feedback.

Way too little info - which channels, all in the same direction?

Describe your setup.

I live very close to the Mason-Dixon line (MD/PA border). I was getting channels from Baltimore, Washington DC, Lancaster, Harrisburg, & York PA. The only channel I am getting now is a Baltimore station, WJZ-13. Little or no signal from any others. I hope this gives you enough info to form a theory. Thanks

Check all connections. Even the electric plug for the power inserter or distibution amp. Make sure the circut breaker to the plug didn't trip.

Sometimes it's the silly little things and you did not mention you did all of this.

No storms here....in fact, we've had nothing but gorgeous weather for the past month.
Oh well, thought I'd give it a try. Accuweather shows a storm there passing through the area yesterday around 5 PM.

If you have an amplifier, can you check to see if it is warm? If it stopped working, it will prevent all but strong stations from getting through.

Oh well, thought I'd give it a try. Accuweather shows a storm there passing through the area yesterday around 5 PM.

If you have an amplifier, can you check to see if it is warm? If it stopped working, it will prevent all but strong stations from getting through.

I don't know about an amplifier, but the converter box is very warm. Thanks to all your responses....I'll check it out.

Check all connections. Even the electric plug for the power inserter or distibution amp. Make sure the circut breaker to the plug didn't trip.

Sometimes it's the silly little things and you did not mention you did all of this.

....the circuit breaker to the plug?...I'm not sure what you mean by that. If you mean the ground fault breaker, nothing would come on at all. Is there a breaker on the converter box? A little clarification may be needed here. Thanks

....the circuit breaker to the plug?...I'm not sure what you mean by that. If you mean the ground fault breaker, nothing would come on at all. Is there a breaker on the converter box? A little clarification may be needed here. Thanks

Nothing would come on only if the TV, power amp and converter box were on the same circuit. Some have their power inserter or signal booster somewhere else in the house if the signal is split to multiple locations.

Like No Static says, if the signal amp is warm, you know it has power.

I guess I don't have a signal amp....all I have is a converter box receiving the antenna lead, & going into the VCR, out of the VCR into the TV. I have a DVD player also connected to the TV using an A/B switch....DVD on A, VCR on B. Everything is pugged into a power strip. All I can think of that may have affected it was that the other day, I shut off the circuit breaker to install a ceiling fan. I think it was after that, that the channels disappeared. I still don't know what would cause this problem....that is to lose signal on all but one channel. Thanks for your input....I did check for a breaker switch on the converter box, but didn't see any. I may just get another box, and see if it works normally. If it does, then I'll know for sure that it's the box...if it still does the same thing, then I'll know it must be a bad antenna connection. I'll let you know what happens.

What type of antenna do you have, which way is it pointing?

Is the VCR set to TV or VCR, perhaps it is no longer passing any signals but the one channel somehow?

So you have the composite out from the digital tuner (Yellow, red, white) going to the inputs on the back of the VCR, which then outputs RF to channel 3 or 4 on your TV?

What type of antenna do you have, which way is it pointing?

I don't know the brand....it's a standard outside antenna w/rotor. I've turned it 360 degrees, and it only gets a signal that's just strong enough to pull in the one station when it's pointing north.

Is the VCR set to TV or VCR, perhaps it is no longer passing any signals but the one channel somehow?

It was set to VCR.... I have removed the VCR, since we almost never use it. I ran the converter directly to the A/B switch. The TV is now set to TV.

So you have the composite out from the digital tuner (Yellow, red, white) going to the inputs on the back of the VCR, which then outputs RF to channel 3 or 4 on your TV?
It was on 4, now I set it to 3....makes no difference.

I have discovered that I did indeed have a signal amplifier. I checked it for heat, and it was cold. I unplugged it, and it made no difference in the signal, so now I am pretty certain that this is the problem. I need to get another signal amp. Thanks for all the suggestions.....they helped me locate the problem.

The ChannelMaster signal amp is definately dead....I pugged it into another outlet and it remains cold. It's been so long since I setup all this stuff, that I forgot what I had. When something dies, you get a refresher course on everything. I'll be off to Walmart tomorrow to pick up another one.

The ChannelMaster signal amp is definately dead....I pugged it into another outlet and it remains cold. It's been so long since I setup all this stuff, that I forgot what I had. When something dies, you get a refresher course on everything. I'll be off to Walmart tomorrow to pick up another one.

Got another signal amp at RS....hooked it up, and it boosted the signal on my one channel a little, but still no signal on any other channels. I guess I'll switch out the converter box.

OK now..

Lets look at your towns TV Fool report here. What channel are you getting? IMO, it's either channel 8 or 10.

Nothing really powerful around you. Do you have a little box attached to the mast just under the antenna? Besides the rotator. That is a pre-amp.

You want a good replacement? The Channelmaster CM-7777 Titan 2 is considered the best.

I think this is what you need.

I did discover after rescanning channels , that I am now getting 2 more stations, since installing the RS signal booster.I know it's supposed to be mounted on the antenna pole just below the antenna, but I am not prepared to risk my life to try and climb onto my roof & up the pole to do this. This antenna & pole were pre-exiting when I bought my house, and I haven't changed anything in the 14 years since I've lived here. I moved the booster closer to the antenna, and that did improve the signal, however, I'm still not getting all the channels I was getting before. The old Channel Master preamp was inline just before the tv, and was getting a lot of stations, not being installed where it should be, under the antenna. As per the question of which channels I am getting....they are WJZ (Baltimore,MD), channel 13.1 ( that's another weird thing...I used to get 13.2, 13.3, & 13.4, but now only 13.1) Also getting 43.1(WPMT York,PA), and 49.1, & 49.2(WGCB- Red Lion, PA).
I think I will bite the bullet, and get another Channel Master preamp...the CS 7777mentioned above. Thanks for all of your input. I'll keep you updated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)