Lost all signal after windstorm in northeast on 3/8/17

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

montana16

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
May 24, 2015
Rochester
Hello all. Been up and running for almost 2 years now and I'm glad I cut cable and went this route.
But since 3/8, a bad windstorm hit leaving many without power for days (3 days for me.) When all came back, I couldn't get any signal on my 10 ft fiberglass dish. The dish was pointed almost due south during the storm. I assumed with 75 mph winds that it must have came out of alignment and all I needed to do was re-aim dish and all would be good. Unfortunately, that has not been the case.

Dish setup:
10 ft solid fiberglass dish with center mast for lnb (not 3 arms coming from edge of dish)
Titanium C1-PLL lnb
4 port Cheetah Diseqc switch connected to port 1 (used when I was trying to get KU band going)
Titanium ASC1 dish mover
TBS 6982 DVB S2 PCIe card for pc
DVB Dream

I am no expert but this is how I checked alignment:(it is slow going as weather is not cooperating)

1) I pointed dish straight ( lined up saddle with dish mount.) In my neighborhood, if aligned, that should point me close to 78 W Simón Bolívar. At this point, still no signal in DVB Dream.I marked pole for current position and loosened saddle bolts and turned dish a little (up to 1 inch or so in both directions) and still no signal.

2) I started to question lnb or wiring to it. I turned on ASC1 and fired up DVB Dream to get power to lnb. Checked voltage at diseqc switch (13.2 vdc) but at lnb it is only 6.2 vdc. I then took diseqc switch out of the mix and now get 13.2 vdc at lnb connection.

3) The lnb connection itself was loose so I looked inside it to see if water or something got into it. Looks ok. I tightened connection (making sure pin from coax connection is making contact to lnb pcb. I have one of those cheap buzzing satellite meters and I connected between lnb and ASC1. Getting power there but the signal meter was showing signal no matter where I pointed lnb except straight down to ground extended away from dish. The knob on meter was turned nearly all the way down, which seems odd to me as usually (on ku signals) if I turned down meter, it would lose signal so meter is questionable.

I am thinking the declination angle should not have changed on dish as nothing looks liked it turned nor are any bolts loose. The actuator does have a little play in it but not a lot.I currently only have an older Norsat lnb but would have to manufacture a bracket to mount to current setup. Probably will try if I can find some pipe and get my shed unburied. Snow storm hit less than a week later dropping 2 ft of snow in 2 days.

Just looking for any ideas on what may be wrong or what testing procedures I can do. There is a lot of expertise in the forum and I am only a novice. Thanks.

2. If 6.2Vdc was measured at the LNBF end of the coax fitting on a Vertical transponder on the correct DiSEqC port, the switch or jumper to LNBF is defective. Taking the switch/jumper out of line restores proper voltage. Also test on a horizontal transponder for approx. 18Vdc at the LNBF coax fitting.

3. A loose f-fitting may have allowed moisture inside the electronics enclosure. This would not necessarily be obvious to viewing (unless water drips out)! :eeek The meter is reading the amplified output and this will rise if the LNBF is pointed at a noise source. The earth is a noise source. Agree that the meter should not indicate a reading if the knob is turned down. Probably defective and I would not trust it.

I am not familiar with programming on 78w, but if possible, also try a horizontal transponder to compare to the vertical transponder you are currently tuning.

Reactions: beavs2112
Status
Please reply by conversation.