Lost HD Channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lean Guy

Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
2 nights ago I noticed a 721 error on my main TV when I turned it on. Did a hard reset, unplugged Receiver, etc. Checked other receivers around house, and all HD boxes had same problem. Called Tech support, and got the usual response, which was what I had already done. They tried refreshing, but no change. Set up a service call for this coming Saturday. Last night I started playing around with different things: Swapping wires, moving boxes, etc. I refreshed from Website on all units, but no change. Then I went into settings menu on each box, and on Display Preferences, I switched to SD only, and all units started working. Unfortunately, now I can't go back, or have HD channels to show up on guide.

Any ideas? Would love to get HD back and cancel service call. I do have Protection plan, but I don't want some monkey ripping apart my entire set-up. I have 7 receivers, all over a multi-story house.

If all of your units are having the same issue, it's likely the lnb, or the cable(s) from the lnb inside. Do you have a swm setup? Either way, check all of the cabling and connectors from the dish back to the house. What are your signal strengths for all of the satellites? If you don't see anything obvious, I'm betting on a bad lnb.

I have a SWiM setup (SWiM 16). I did a Sat check last night, and all readings were in the 90's, but that was only for the first one. Assumed if one was that good, that all would be ok. I will check them all tonight when I get home.

I have a SWiM setup (SWiM 16). I did a Sat check last night, and all readings were in the 90's, but that was only for the first one. Assumed if one was that good, that all would be ok. I will check them all tonight when I get home.
You thought wrong ...

Check your Signal Strength for the 99 and 103 Sats and see what thier readings are ...

Btw, who says your gonna get a tech that doesn't know what he's doing ?
Thats a pretty broad brush your using to paint the picture of all Installer/Repair guys.

Hold everything..... 721 is a programming error... a tech can't fix this. Your account isn't authorized for hd. The only thing a tech is gonna do is make a phone call.

Try to have tech restart services rather than just refreshing. Check that advanced receiver is on your services list or some other form of that code. This is nothing hardware related.

Hold everything..... 721 is a programming error... a tech can't fix this. Your account isn't authorized for hd. The only thing a tech is gonna do is make a phone call.

Try to have tech restart services rather than just refreshing. Check that advanced receiver is on your services list or some other form of that code. This is nothing hardware related.
Good call.

It's been so long since I dealt with the codes, I forgot ...

I suppose other than what you suggested, I would look at my billing statement and see if the HD portion is on the bill as well.

Oops! My bad, I read it as a 771 (los, bad cable, etc.) error, not a 721 (programming) error. I must have been :drunk

Checked my signal strength last night, and I'm getting Zero's on some of the transponders from the 99 Satellite. Had no issues with HD prior to Tuesday night. Now my HD option is greyed out on Display/Preferences/Show/Hide. Only can get SD for now.

I would call customer service. It sounds like your hd programming has been removed by Directv.

Just called, and they refreshed my HD. I'm at work, so I will have to wait till I get home to check.

Thanks all.

That should do the trick, I sure hope so anyways.

Checked my signal strength last night, and I'm getting Zero's on some of the transponders from the 99 Satellite. Had no issues with HD prior to Tuesday night. Now my HD option is greyed out on Display/Preferences/Show/Hide. Only can get SD for now.
That's probably 99s, which only carries spotbeams so low or zero signals on many transponders is normal. 99c/103ca/103cb should be in the high 80s at least on all transponders.

It has happend when I was a CSR that during a manual reinstate (you didn't pay your bill and hit level 1 disconnect), someone would accidentally skip Advanced Receiver HD services and cause a 721. Also, there have been a LOT of issues with the backend over the last couple of weeks, so it could have just taken itself off in the database. Either way, if it is not on when you get home today, give the csr these instructions:

Go to the primary receiver, open services, scroll towards the bottom and check advanced receiver hd to make sure if it is enabled. If it's locked out, check the reinstate services tab to see if it can be enabled there.

If it still doesn't come up, escalate, escalate, escalate. A service call wont solve this if the issue is system-wide.

All is well. After contacting CS again this weekend, they reset my HD channels, and everything is fine. Just curious as to why they could do this the first time I called them. At that time, they said they refreshed my receivers, but that didn't work, which led to me posting here.

I think there is a difference between refreshing your service and reauthorizing for hd channels. There are a few csrs that post here, hopefully one can clear this up.

Status
Please reply by conversation.