Lost Shaw signal

ggilbert

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 1, 2006
LaFayette, GA
Does anyone have an idea why I would lost my Shaw sat signal. It worked fine until a week and a half ago. Then disappeared. Signal strength is zero. I thought it might be because a tree has grown fuller for the summer. I had the tree trimmed back, so that isn't the problem. The system status screen says it needs a "refresh required." I had KU send a hit but since it isn't receiving a sat, I don't know what good that will do.
My receiver is a model HDPVR 630. I'll take any help.

Does anyone have an idea why I would lost my Shaw sat signal. It worked fine until a week and a half ago. Then disappeared. Signal strength is zero. I thought it might be because a tree has grown fuller for the summer. I had the tree trimmed back, so that isn't the problem. The system status screen says it needs a "refresh required." I had KU send a hit but since it isn't receiving a sat, I don't know what good that will do.
My receiver is a model HDPVR 630. I'll take any help.

Even when your receiver needs a refresh you should be able to get a signal and get say ch 299.

So it sounds like you´ve missed the signal, if trees are not blocking your LOS, could it be possible that your dish has moved a bit ?

If your signal strength is truly a "flat zero" it means your LNB and your receiver are not communicating. If it was a case of the dish not being pointed correctly, or if the dish had been moved slightly, or it were a line of sight problem, your signal strength meter on your receiver would show a signal of, say, 20 or so as a result of ambient "noise" that exists in the air.

A sudden drop of signal to zero indicates that something catastrophic has happened. The first thing I would suggest that you check is your connection between the receiver and the dish. Coax connectors can become corroded, even though they may appear to be OK from the outside. It's also possible that your coax cable has become cracked somewhere along the run, thus shorting or breaking the connection.

The other possibilities are that the LNB or the receiver has become defective. The only way I know of to check this is to either substitute another LNB or receiver as a test, or purchase an external satellite meter and insert it in your coax to see whether you are receiving a signal (1) at your dish and (2) at your receiver. Also, be sure to try connecting to one of the other ports on the LNB; I've heard that one port can be bad, yet the other three will work.

I'm going to check the cable by taking my receiver and plugging it directly into the LNB. I have a small TV that I can use. If I get a signal then it means something is wrong along the cable run.

I plugged the receiver directly into the LNB. I got a signal and a picture. That means the dish is aimed correctly. The problem is with the cable. I will check that on Saturday when I have time.

I plugged the receiver directly into the LNB. I got a signal and a picture. That means the dish is aimed correctly. The problem is with the cable. I will check that on Saturday when I have time.

great. glad you solved the problem relatively easily. thanks for the update

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts