Lost Signal Completely On SES! LMB???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

richyriles

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 9, 2008
NY
Lost the picture entirely on SES1. I got signal of 65%, but zero quality. It's time for me to stop trying to fix the old dish, and call a technician. My guess it's the LMB. Its a dual LMBF, 15 months old. I guess they don't make 'em like they used to. In the garage, I found an old Chaparral Gold Series PMJ LMB. I don't know how old it is, but it was working when the technician took it off, and put up the dual LMB. The plastic cover is still solid. I put up a dual LMB before I knew about looping receivers. I don't need the dual anymore, as I can loop receivers all over house with one feed. Do you think the old Chaparral PMJ can do the trick, or do I buy a new LMB? This service call will be expensive, so I want to save some coin. Also, what is the difference between an LMB, and LMBF?

Thanks,
Richyriles

Well it is a LNB or LNBF not LMB to start with. LNB stands for Low Noise Block Down-converter. This is the part with the electronics and antenna. You attach the LNB to a Feed Horn to have a complete assembly to mount to your dish. A lot are built as one unit these days so it is called a LNBF "F" for Feed Horn.

The LNB feedhorn assembly (where the LNB bolts to the feed horn) also has three small wires that are used to select the polarity. Most FTA receivers are incapable of operating them.
Chaparral is one brand of feed horn, and can have one of many brands of LNB bolted to it. LNB's require 18 to 24V to operate.
An LNBF only has the coax connected to it. The polarity is selected via the voltage supplied by the receiver. 13V = Vertical. 18V = Horiz.
Ordering a SatelliteAV C1 or C2 LNBF and replacing it yourself would be a lot less expensive than having a tech come out.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts