Lots of audio dropouts and picture freeze ups

lsh1885

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Apr 6, 2004
Orlando, Florida
I have been getting quite a bit of audio dropouts and picture freeze ups on HD channels. Real bad tonight while watching the baseball game on Fox (1135) and last night on the Footbal game on ABC (1090). Anyone else having this problem on Brighthouse in Orlando. I'm trying to decide whether I need to call Brighthouse and talk to them about it.

I would call and complain- the more people that do, maybe they'll actually be forced to do something to fix their inadequate system. That is what the problem is. Brighthouse's system is really unstable. I gave up watching cable movies with my surround sound system because I have an issue with digital pixelating pretty much every night. Do you know what the digital stuttering and jumping sounds like through a surround amplifier? Nails on the chalkboard is more pleasant. Brighthouse is another one of those companies that puts only so much borderline effort into their product. They watch other companies excel, then complain about them. You can tell because of the excuses Brighthouse gives out sound like an endless loop. At this point, cable should be free, because they are not really offering anything that justifies the monthly bill. Don't believe their lame excuses. There is strength in numbers. Don't give up.

I am in Orlando. Brighthouse Central Florida. I came to Brighthouse form Satellite (Dish Network). I am beginning to regret it. I will call Brighthouse and complain about the HD signal.

mirage426 said:
I would call and complain- the more people that do, maybe they'll actually be forced to do something to fix their inadequate system. That is what the problem is. Brighthouse's system is really unstable. I gave up watching cable movies with my surround sound system because I have an issue with digital pixelating pretty much every night. Do you know what the digital stuttering and jumping sounds like through a surround amplifier? Nails on the chalkboard is more pleasant. Brighthouse is another one of those companies that puts only so much borderline effort into their product. They watch other companies excel, then complain about them. You can tell because of the excuses Brighthouse gives out sound like an endless loop. At this point, cable should be free, because they are not really offering anything that justifies the monthly bill. Don't believe their lame excuses. There is strength in numbers. Don't give up.

Whens the last time you had the wires in your house replaced? whens the last time you had the drop from the pole/ped replaced???

Where do you live? you live in the brevard county area? If you do, let me know, we'll talk privatly... I can guarantee a total home rewire unless you have a 2 story house, or a house with no attic space... and at no cost to you..

Khandurian.....

I live in East Orange County near the Seminole County Line. I am between Bithlo and Chuluota if your familiar with this area. The house is fairly new I don't know about the pole/bed thing since I don't know what that is, I have only had cable service for about 3 months. I can tell you that the distance between the cable box in front of the house and where I am is so great they had to install an amplifier. I don't have any other reception issues other than the HD problems.

I live in right above the Seminole county line and I understand the motive behind the rewiring, but before you go through all that, if you have a problem, I'd still call Brighthouse first to look at it because if it is them, you did not waste your time wiring. I say this because I know for a fact that Brighthouse's system is reaaaaallly unstable. Even though I live in an apartment, out of the 11 (yes, 11) techs who were sent to fix, 2 techs ran fresh lines directly from my TV, out my front door to the box outside with absolutely no improvement. 1 Tech replaced my connectors and wires from my TV to the wall and another replaced the main splitter, also with no improvement. 4 techs have actually admitted to me that the same thing happens to them at their house. (Until I point out that they seem proud of paying for horrible service with a crappy picture, do they try to help me.)The problem has been identified outside my apartment, and is in their hands-now I am just waiting for a senior maintenance tech to come fix it. Meanwhile, I am receiving credit on my account. According to customer service on the phone, we all should be getting a crisp, clear picture on all channels with no problems-including analog. Brighthouse needs to upgrade all of their equipment. Plain and simple. Until more people complain, they will continue to provide bare minimum services.

Sorry for the confusion lsh1885... my statement was to mirage426... which is why I quoted him in my post.. he posted in 3 differnt areas complaining about the problems he has....

On to your reply though, yes, I know where your refering about... Ive lived in florida all my life.... Your cable box infront of your house, is refered by techs that work in the buisness as the "ped" or "pedistal"...

Here's something you can do and its very simple to help you get the correct service the next time a technician comes out. Physically measure the distance in feet from the ped to your house.... if it's over 200feet then you should have had cable installed called RG-11... (really thick stuff) after you measured the distance, goto the side of the house (usually power) where the line comes up to the house and see if they used regular cable or very thick cable for that cable run..

In my area when im doing service calls, if I feel the drop is of lonng distance, I measure it out. You'd be surprised how often running the RJ-11 cable will resolve customers problems....

Khandurian.....

Cool, my message is getting out there. While I appreciate the heads up and tip, I also mean no offense to anyone personally, alot of people today tend to get wrapped up in things thinking they are being attacked, but that is not the case. Business is business. Complaining sounds so old, I like to refer to it as customer satisfaction. Most professional companies will take customer feedback as a way to improve their business. The only way companies will know there is something wrong is if us customers let them know. We pay for a product, why shouldn't it perform like they promise? If your new car stalled out when you went over 10 MPH, wouldn't you be upset? What would you do? You would take it back to where you got it. This is all I'm saying- with all of today's technology, why do I feel like we are still in the past. I'm getting the same excuses that my dad got 15 years ago. Maybe Brighthouse don't want to improve their system, if nobody notices why should they do extra work? If all the customers fix the issues they are having, Brighthouse gets paid twice. Look- they pay us all this money and we don't have to do anything. All I know is that we are supposed to be in the digital age, today -with all of the sheilding on the newer cable and what not, we shouldn't be having any issues. Unless the cable outside wasn't updated for today's newer signals. However, I did ask techs about the cable quality, they told me they were using Cat 5 for everything and it is the best out there. I left it alone, because they seemed to get annoyed like they were being personally grilled, whereas I was trying to make their job easier, but it was ok to try to tell me that the wiring job I did was bad because I used Monster Cable S-Video wires to connect my equipment and TV instead of their coaxial. Shrugs shoulders. Everyone else may be happy being overcharged for services lacking, I really feel that If you are paying for a service, it should be the responsibility of the company to make it right. Business today is passing the ball to to the point where the customer does most of the work while the company still gets paid regardless.

lsh1885 said:
I am in Orlando. Brighthouse Central Florida. I came to Brighthouse form Satellite (Dish Network). I am beginning to regret it. I will call Brighthouse and complain about the HD signal.

Same here, but I find BH very reliable. I was getting real tired of rain fade even though my dish was well peaked.

I have noticed some momentary studdering on the BH HD channels, but getting HD locals over cable is still better than what DishNet offers, which is just CBS in some markets.

Look, DishNet offers pretty good service but only marginally better than BH. There is no company out there offering perfection right now. But I agree folks should complain about substandard service. Any improvements are welcome.

I didn't have any real rain fade issues with satellite. I switched to cable because of too few HD channels and HD-DVR being so expensive. At least with cable I have locals in HD. I had an OTA antenna for Locals in HD when I had Satellite, but with very mixed results. I did call Brighthouse about the HD signal and they said they would look into the problem. Since that time it seems to be getting much better, I am still getting some freeze ups occasionally, but it is happening much less frequently. I should also mention when I had the Satellite installed there was really no other option as there was no cable in this area at that time. Brighthouse expanded in this area within the last year.

i dunno if this means anything but.......i had a loss of signal earlier this week. when the tech made it out to my house, he found a problem at the pole. since then, my hd pic hasn't been too bad. we'll see when i flip to 1060 later today for the gator game. last week's ten-lsu game in hi-def was horrible......glitching (as i like to call it). all the time.

even, with that said, the pq and sound is still better than what i was getting with directv.\

i do recall last year after charley, the tech mentioed something about needing heavier cable from the pole to the box, since it's a long distance.

BHN on its worst day - with the exception of Universal HD that was thrown on as a temporary thing - will look better than D*.

Just found this thread today and wanted to share a Brighthouse experience that could help some of you.

When I switched from digital to Brighthouse's HD DVR (motorola), I was having a lot of problems with freezes and tiling. After a couple of visits, I got a technician that actually knew what to do. Signal strength had been increased at the street to take care of my cable internet service a couple of years ago. The technician found where the cable that provided the signal to the TV was actually too high. So we redid the cable in the attic(added splitters) so that the signal level going to the TV would be less. Although I still have an occassional glitch, its a whole lot better than it use to be. Furthermore, this problem didn't appear on the non DVR version of the Motorola HD box.

lsh1885 said:
I didn't have any real rain fade issues with satellite. I switched to cable because of too few HD channels and HD-DVR being so expensive. At least with cable I have locals in HD. I had an OTA antenna for Locals in HD when I had Satellite, but with very mixed results...

Yes, I called BH and they gave me a good deal for 12 months for switching back to BH from E*. You are right, the HD DVR deal with E* is very expensive. Dish wants $700 for the 942. And since they are switching to MPEG4 soon that would be money down the tube.

Also, if you want the old VOOM HD channels you needed to install a second dish. BH has a great HD lineup and at very competitive price to E* and D*.

Since switching back to BH I think their PQ is as good or better than E*.

JimP said:
Just found this thread today and wanted to share a Brighthouse experience that could help some of you.

When I switched from digital to Brighthouse's HD DVR (motorola), I was having a lot of problems with freezes and tiling. After a couple of visits, I got a technician that actually knew what to do. Signal strength had been increased at the street to take care of my cable internet service a couple of years ago. The technician found where the cable that provided the signal to the TV was actually too high. So we redid the cable in the attic(added splitters) so that the signal level going to the TV would be less. Although I still have an occassional glitch, its a whole lot better than it use to be. Furthermore, this problem didn't appear on the non DVR version of the Motorola HD box.

Where does Brighthouse have a Motorola Based System?

On another note, if the QAM signal is above +0 on the SA HD STB's, it really does not like it. Likewise, below about -8 and you run into big problems with the S/N.

I imagine the Motorola boxes are similar.

All I know is that I had D perfectly and less expensively for 6 years with 1 minor problem that was resolved in 1 visit, I switched to BH because I was looking to try the whole all in 1 Internet package, and I am on tech #12. I have been told that my signal was too high by some of the techs, but none of them can fix the problem. The only thing all of them have been able to tell me is that it isn't the wiring in my apartment, but outside in the hub on the building or at the street, one minute they are on their 2 way, the next thing I know thay are gone. They don't even bother to come back and tell me what is happening. So far I am on 2 months with no resolve. I refuse to order any additional BH services until they actually fix my TV issue. Meanwhile, I have gone with sprint high speed internet not really caring if it it slighly slower, because it works the way it is supposed to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts