Lots of Dish Dead!

bonipie

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2006
Southwest Arizona
Hi,
We are in southwest Arizona. Much of DishNetwork seems to be down. Hard to tell whats up, but we have found Speed, all locals, Fox Cable news, NatGeo, ESPN2, many others are dead.

We get a message on some of the locals that there is no need to call Dish as there is a problem they are aware of.

We get a good signal on those transponders that come in, but the transponders that are down are 'dead'. There seem to be dead transponders on all 3 satellites.

Darn, no Sunday nite football.

Any ideas.

Last edited:
Your having the problem

All's well. Problem fixed. Football on-we're happy campers. Looked like it could be ugly with the funny symptoms. Boni

Hi,
We are in southwest Arizona. Much of DishNetwork seems to be down. Hard to tell whats up, but we have found Speed, all locals, Fox Cable news, NatGeo, ESPN2, many others are dead.

We get a message on some of the locals that there is no need to call Dish as there is a problem they are aware of.

We get a good signal on those transponders that come in, but the transponders that are down are 'dead'. There seem to be dead transponders on all 3 satellites.

Darn, no Sunday nite football.

Any ideas.

E* isn't down you have system problem. Try a hard reboot to start and see if that helps. Run check switch and see what if you have a switch problem or LNB problems.

Problem again

We are having the problem again this morning. We know we are getting all the satellites, just not all the transponders. For our locals, there is a message that there is a problem with the system and sorry but there are lots of other channels to watch. But, don't call them because they know about it.

We did call last nite, and just as we got connected to tech support, it started working. So, I'm about to call, again.

What transponders seem to be down? Are the even transponders or odd transponders or doesn't it seem to be either? If you notice that it is mainly one or the other (odd/even), you most likely have a bad cable and your system needs to be serviced. I would get a technician out there to check things out and get you back up and running quickly.

We are having the problem again this morning. We know we are getting all the satellites, just not all the transponders. For our locals, there is a message that there is a problem with the system and sorry but there are lots of other channels to watch. But, don't call them because they know about it.

We did call last nite, and just as we got connected to tech support, it started working. So, I'm about to call, again.

We had the exact same problem with our 722. Finally got tech out to repoint dish - all is corrected now

The slate on the local channels is actually generated by the receiver. But since you are missing a bunch of other channels you have an equipment issue.

Could be poor alignment...bad lnb..bad switch...bad cable/connectors..or even a bad receiver.

Could you post your signal strengths from all the satellites you receive with several transponders from each?

I have noticed on a 522 receiver that if you have an issue on the local channels the receiver seems to have software embedded in it to tell you that there is not a problem on your end and that there is no need to call them that it will come back shortly or something like that when in fact there is something wrong locally. They need to remove this message software from the receivers since it is false information.

if its a cable problem you will see the even transponders go out first since they carry 1650-2150 MHz

Both times that sat went out, it came back spontaniously as we were talking to 'tech support'. Second time, we unplugged receiver, and it seemed to correct problem. This was a several hour occurrance each time. So, quite disturbing.

Seemed to be sat 129, all or mostly. We're hoping that the really, really hard reset did the trick. We are really used to pointing the dish since we spent 5 years living in a motorhome, repointing the dish every couple of weeks. We had 45-70 signal strength where we had signal. 0 strength where there was a problem. Hopefully we are now ok. Thanks all. Boni:D

It is the time of year for sunfade. When the dish, the satellite and the sun are in direct alignment. Depending on which link, the feed to dish network, the uplink from dish network, or the link to your dish from the satellite could be having the sunfade problem. If the pribkem goes away after a few minutes, then does not happen again say after 7 or 8 days....that would be my guess as to what is wrong. And it should happen to each one of your lnbs on different days or times. which would explain "chunks" of channels dissappearing then reappearing.

It might be too late in the month for this...but if I remember correctly...it happens in October.

Just a guess.

Thanks everyone for the replies. We have not had anymore problems. Hope it stays that way.

About the sunfade, hubby and I are ham radio extra class. Sunfade, as we know it in the ham radio application, happens on an 11 year cycle-don't know where the cycle is right now. The result of sunfade (as explained to me) is that the sun ionized the upper atmosphere. This aids 'skip' and long range communication. It appearantly shouldn't affect satellite operation as those frequencies don't operate at that level of atmosphere.

This obviously is 'our' problem as no other occurances are reported. We appreciate the help. Boni

Well, time will tell. Coming from engineering, we can't remember when something actually fixed itself. Maybe short time or long time, but problem always comes back. Actually, had a few second 'black screen' today. Won't try for a tech until there's a chance of it acting up when tech is here. (Slim possibility of a tech in our small town. We didn't even have installers when we upgraded to 722.) Thanks for all replies. Boni

I have noticed on a 522 receiver that if you have an issue on the local channels the receiver seems to have software embedded in it to tell you that there is not a problem on your end and that there is no need to call them that it will come back shortly or something like that when in fact there is something wrong locally. They need to remove this message software from the receivers since it is false information.

I just discovered this box generated message myself a few days ago, and I agree with you absolutely. People are going to think Dish is doing something to "fix" the LIL's when, in fact, NOTHING is being done, until at least the daily update/reboot. So, many viewers will "suffer" without their even though all they need to do is a reboot. Dumb going, Dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)