Lots of News from Team Summit

No, I think you'll have to either transfer it to one device or the other, I don't think the external will be able to send it to the pocketdish because it needs to verify that it's all owned by you. Maybe that technology is there, don't know. Pocketdish is really just the external hdd with a screen, no?

Sorry if I wasn't quite clear.

Basically I want to have "two" hard drive backups of the same recordings.

I want to have a back up copy on a seperate external hard drive for safety.
In case the first external goes bad.

Hard drives go bad all the time.
This is just a smart way to protect your recordings IMO.

I'd hate to lose everything due to hd failure.

My other question is will the external hard drive recordings be married to a specific DVR model/ID number. If so what happens with that DVR goes bad.

Thanks, BC

Some followup questions on the External Hard Drive.

Must I get it only from DISH?

What will the cost and largest size be?

Hard Drives with HD can fill up quite fast.
So if it's big bucks to archive that would not make it worth bothering with.

Further if the External Hard Drive is married to a specific DVR that also would
make this fairly pointless to spend the money on this.

I want to be able to archive to cheap media like BluRay once it's common.
Don't like the idea of limited expensive storage.

Choice should be where it's at.

I would hope DISH will either do it right or not bother at all.

BC

Yes, I suppose recording every HD show twice would be a solution.

But what if one of the recordings wasn't great.
And it didn't repeat. Yet something else in the mix.

No the better solution is a enforcement of fair use for consumers.
Take it to the Supreme Court and expose the greed of Hollywood.
This is nonsense that we can't, (for personal use) and we've paid fees to view this and record this, save the recording as we want and easily make spare back ups to multiple technologies for archival sake. Who knows which of them will go south at some point.

Do we really want a single hard drive holding many fav rare recordings only to lose them if you by chance drop the hard drive and it decided on it's own to go belly up. This is yes, an option to record but a VERY limited one IMO.

And possibly a very expensive one too.

BC

Stargazer said:
With the dual tuner receivers, couldnt you record the show twice at the same time? This would put two copies onto the hard drive and you could move one to the external while keeping the other on the receiver.

Also I wonder if there would be a way to get the shows from the external hard drive to the PocketDish. How about being able to take the external hard drive anywhere you go and connect it to the PocketDish to playback on the PocketDish or television that is hooked up to the PocketDish.

bjf said:
<...>
Do we really want a single hard drive holding many fav rare recordings only to lose them if you by chance drop the hard drive and it decided on it's own to go belly up. This is yes, an option to record but a VERY limited one IMO.

And possibly a very expensive one too.

BC
Dish engineers approved very limited number of hard drives from Seagate, Maxtor ( now Seagate) and Samsung. Best of the best :D.
Regardless our problems :(.

HDVoomer said:
Is Voom really a DISH exclusive? I had heard that Verizon was looking into getting those channels too.
You'll receive no reply from Dish Network, and Rainbow Media (aka VOOM HD Networks) will tell you they are pursuing all business opportunities. However, the fact of the matter is they are indeed a Dish Network exclusive until one or more of the VOOM HD Original channels are carried by D*, cable, FiOS, etc.

If you'll recall, Rainbow Media has done a good job marketing their wares: AMC, IFC, WE, FUSE. I think they are wanting to market the VOOM channels, but there just isn't enough bandwidth on most cable systems at present. Heck, VOOM isn't even on Cablevision's cable systems...and they own VOOM! Although FiOS is fully capable of carrying all 21 of the VOOM channels, the fact of the matter is they are still small potatoes in the video market at present. Much like welfare, it is much easier for Dish Network to fund VOOM to keep them a DishHD exclusive for at least another year or two...and for VOOM to accept the handout. Seriously, it's going to take FiOS another couple years before they have enough subscribers ($$$) to make it worth VOOM's while.

Anyway, this is only my opinion...

Scott Greczkowski said:
I asked and they had no time line, I also asked about WMUR and was told that they are ready to flip the switch however something in legal is keeping them from doing it.

Scott,

Was this in reference to WMUR being added as a Significantly Viewed channel or WMUR being added as an HD channel to the Boston HD Locals?

John

No HGTV HD & NFL HD for Greatwall HD customers

Called E twice ang got absolute "NO" answer to get HGTV HD & NFL HD for Greatwall HD customer(I assume for Dish Latino Bronze HD as well). While the price structure is almost identical comparing with Greatwall HD and Bronze HD ($29.99 SD + $20 HD), how come we receive different treatment? I already send email to ceo@echostar.com, hopfully there would be positive feedback. Otherwise is there any other way to complain. Have been E customer for 3 years, like their program, but really hates their CSR and installation techinican. Most of all, the way they conduct their business. I believe if E no more holds the edge for HD program, most existing customers will leave.

Make the dual tuner DVR record the show twice at the same time or if you have two DVR's make them both record the same show. When you have one DVR transfer the show to the external hard drive you would still have one available on the other DVR. Now, can we have more than one external hard drive and if so can we hook them up to any receiver that is on the account? Will it still transfer recordings if the receiver gets shut off?

I'm sure it will ask you "are you sure?" before it just shut the box off while doing something, just like it does now if you want to shut it off or change the channel while it's recording...

Hard drives go bad all the time.

No they don't...

Purogamer said:
I'm sure it will ask you "are you sure?" before it just shut the box off while doing something, just like it does now if you want to shut it off or change the channel while it's recording...

No they don't...
Right! I bought a little Dell computer off eBay, that had no HD in it. I bought for the kids to play. I put a 11 year old IBM 10.1 GB HD in it. It still runs.

long_time_DNC said:
With an average MTBF of 500,000 hours, HD failure isn't all that common anymore...

Hahahahaha...

You actually believe that figure? That's > 57 years for the average drive to fail. Do you know how that figure is determined? It's very educational to learn the process of calculating these MTBFs.

Guess what the #1 hardware failure is with computers? Hard Drives. Always will be.

My laptop drive just conked out, and I'm in the process of recovering the data from it from the spindle itself and from backups.

I bought a new Dell desktop last year and the hard drive lasted one month! It took 4 hours straight talking with half of the people in India before they diagnosed it. In fact they had me do the same test soooooooooooo many times that my finger sarted hurting from holding down the resart button for 10 seconds. It was only when I complained that I did not want to do it any more that the diagnosis was made!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)