Lots of News from Team Summit

So are you saying I'd be smart to wait to sign up for DishHD on July 1st?

Only if you are a new Dish Network customer

who_the said:
Awesome news! My RSN (FSN Bay Area) is the only reason I keep Comcast around at all.

I tell you one thing. You won't see MSG HD, YES HD or FSNY HD on E*. I will be shocked if that happens.

John Kotches said:
I would imagine this means that everything is initially recorded to the internal disk then you select what gets moved from the internal disk to the external disk.

A small drawback if you have to do it manually. I suppose that they can get the OS to do it automatically as long as there is space available. I really do not see the difference (from Content Provider point of view). The pgr is still copy and moved over and isn't "moved over" the same as "copy"? What would be the difference if you just recorded the program right on the external drive?

Scott, Here is a good question... If one subs to the hd pack and the sports pack.... Would they get all the RSN's in hd??? Also, if there is a game on MLBEI for instance and the RSN that is being shown in mlbe EI, (Dish carrys the MLBEI HD RSN... would we get the HD verson of that. Sorta like an MLBEI HD PACK?

Sean Mota said:
A small drawback if you have to do it manually. I suppose that they can get the OS to do it automatically as long as there is space available. I really do not see the difference (from Content Provider point of view). The pgr is still copy and moved over and isn't "moved over" the same as "copy"? What would be the difference if you just recorded the program right on the external drive?

Copy keeps a version resident on both drives. Move only has one version in existence at the end of the move command.

I'm speculating that all content is automatically sent to the internal drive, I don't know that for fact.

What would be fun, would be to stick a TB+ of storage on the external drive, with say a RAID enclosure that has USB 2.0 output.

Cheers,

Last edited:
IPTV - Yes the VIP name does mean Video of Internet Protocol, and this will open up true Video on Demand if you have a bradband connection. The service will adjust to your internet connection and will work with all speeds of internet service. In some cases it will download video to your receiver to prevent buffering and in addition they are planning on offering HIGH DEFINITION movies via VIP.

The planned offerings for VIP is as follows -
Hollywood Studio Films
HD Content
Interactive Programming
Indie Content

This is good but it will depend on how much it will cost. They should partner with XTV and bring the XTV adult content via VIP.

Scott Greczkowski said:
In addtion lets say you tune to HBO on Channel 300, your receiver will know you are hooked to a HDTV so when you tune to channel 300 you will actually be tuned to the HD version of HBO instead. (The same goes with Starz)
This is already in place with the Locals, at least in the NYC area. I have noticed it few weeks ago, if you enter on the remote the 007 for channel 7 (ABC) the receiver tune in to the HD channel 6300, it's a cool feature, but the epg shows channel 7. This is on all ViP receivers that I have.

Scott, I know you're busy but if you could find out anything about the Vermont HD LiLs, there's a few of us that would really appreciate it. The Burlington DMA was listed in the original 50 but we've heard nothing since.

John Kotches said:
Copy keeps a version resident on both drives. Move only has one version in existence at the end of the move command.

I'm speculating that all content is automatically sent to the internal drive, I don't know that for fact.

What would be fun, would be to stick a TB+ of storage on the external drive, with say a RAID enclosure that has USB 2.0 output.

Cheers,

Is USB 2.0 fast enough to stream a program off the external drive (to view), or would you have to transfer it back to the internal drive before watching it?

Brad

Scott Greczkowski said:
Mark Jackson comes out and tells us about all the new technology coming out.

First thing he shows us is the VIP612 which is a Dual Tuner / SIngle output MPEG4 HD DVR. The major difference between this and the 622 is that it does not have Dual Output mode which helps bring the cost down on these DVR's. The 612 will become the standard entry line DVR in the future. It does not look like the 922, this unit is a glossy black color.

Scott:

Can you take a piture of the 612 and post it ?

TIA

Last edited:
Bradtothebone said:
Is USB 2.0 fast enough to stream a program off the external drive (to view), or would you have to transfer it back to the internal drive before watching it?

Brad

See previous discussion of bandwidth, there is plenty of bandwidth to run directly from the external disc for HD viewing.

480 Mbits/second vs ~20 Mbits/second. I'll let you do the math.

They might not let you stream/view a program from the external drive. If it is truly an "archive" drive, then you will need to move it back to the internal DVR drive in order to view it.

A bit inconvenient, but I could live with this.

Scott said in another post that they were viewing from the external drive in the demonstration

Great Site But Now Really Confused

Have a 942, picture flickers now....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)