Loud High Pitched Noise on H3.

RadioChuck

Original poster
Dec 9, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
For the past several days I have been noticing that while performing certain functions such as pause, slow motion, and other DVR related functions, I occasionally get a very loud high-pitched noise.

I have tried rebooting the H3, to no avail. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

H3 SW ver U507. Sony Bravia 4K TV.

It’s coming from the speakers, not the H3 box itself. Have had the same setup for a couple of years. This just started. I may have to call. I always dread that.

It’s pretty consistent for me if I try and slo mo. Otherwise it’s kind of hit and miss, but often startling since it tends to be a bit louder than the program audio.

It’s coming from the speakers, not the H3 box itself. Have had the same setup for a couple of years. This just started. I may have to call. I always dread that.
My sister had the same problem many years ago with a Directv DVR. She even had them replace it more than once, and the problem continued. When she told me about the problem, I suggested that maybe her audio cables needed to be replaced. She took my advice, and she did not have the problem again after that.

Reactions: charlesrshell
For the past several days I have been noticing that while performing certain functions such as pause, slow motion, and other DVR related functions, I occasionally get a very loud high-pitched noise.

I have tried rebooting the H3, to no avail. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

Did you recently install the Nougat update for the Android SmartTV functions?
Over on AVS Forums a lot of people are complaining about getting these strange noises with their Hopper3 after the upgrade. Sony has acknowledged the issue.

Reactions: dweber
I think the sound is being caused by the latest Sony update (PKG6.2818.0075NAA). The problem started after the Sony update. I get the high pitched noise when I resume from a pause on my Sony XBR-65X900E connected to my Family Room Hopper3. I don’t have the sound problem on my Living Room Hopper3 which is connected to my Sony KDL-55W700B.

I think the sound is being caused by the latest Sony update (PKG6.2818.0075NAA).

I think you’re right. I had forgotten that I did get a Sony update last week. That’s got to be it. I don’t know how good Sony is about fixing issues like this, but I can see this being a “forever” issue.

Interesting. It’s an HDMI connection, though.
Audio problems can happen with HDMI. I posted, in another thread, about audio problems that I have experienced with an HDMI connection directly to the TV. I am somewhat inclined to believe that it is more likely a problem with your TV, though. All of the problems that I posted about were also on a Sony TV.

Same here on my Sony XBR-75X900E that was just updated last week. Hopper 3 to audio receiver plays OK. Hopper 3 to TV to audio receiver and Hopper 3 to TV has the loud high pitched noise. Has to be the Sony update.

Just checked and it seems to only make the noise on HD channels and not SD channels.

Last edited:
It is definitely the Sony update. I get the same high pitched tone when pausing and resuming a movie on my PS3 which is also connected.

Reactions: JS_racer

its your sony tv with the new update:mad:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)