Loving HD DVD...

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
I have had HD DVD for a whole 24 hours, and while I am limited to watching via component video due to a HDCP compliance issue with my TV, I am pretty impressed. PQ is super crisp. And the audio --- welll, the audio is just amazing. It is the best sound I have ever heard out of my SONY DDR998 system ever. It really brings out the quality of my Infinity speakers. The Special effects are crisp, it sounds like you are there. I never realized DD5.1+ could make such a difference. Using the same optical inputs I used with my SD DVD player, but wow. I am watching Bourne Identity as I write, and it is a great experience.

Now I can't say that I have had the same "wow" factor with PQ, after having a year and a half of HD from Dish. (I know, I know, its HDLite... but with the 34" SONY Wega XBR CRT, my picture has always been good, and distortions that occur on a larger screen, just aren't as apparent at 34". Indeed, last night I watched part of a RIVER RUNS THROUGH IT from HDNET MOVIES, and it was a wonderful viewing experience.

But back to HD DVD, its a great experience so far. I now know what I want for Christmas... more discs :)

I have had HD DVD for a whole 24 hours, and while I am limited to watching via component video due to a HDCP compliance issue with my TV, I am pretty impressed. PQ is super crisp. And the audio --- welll, the audio is just amazing. It is the best sound I have ever heard out of my SONY DDR998 system ever. It really brings out the quality of my Infinity speakers. The Special effects are crisp, it sounds like you are there. I never realized DD5.1+ could make such a difference. Using the same optical inputs I used with my SD DVD player, but wow. I am watching Bourne Identity as I write, and it is a great experience.

Now I can't say that I have had the same "wow" factor with PQ, after having a year and a half of HD from Dish. (I know, I know, its HDLite... but with the 34" SONY Wega XBR CRT, my picture has always been good, and distortions that occur on a larger screen, just aren't as apparent at 34". Indeed, last night I watched part of a RIVER RUNS THROUGH IT from HDNET MOVIES, and it was a wonderful viewing experience.

But back to HD DVD, its a great experience so far. I now know what I want for Christmas... more discs :)
Time to buy an even larger HDTV and be even more impressed by HD DVD compared to satellite HD. I guarantee the difference will be dramatic.

Time to buy an even larger HDTV and be even more impressed by HD DVD compared to satellite HD. I guarantee the difference will be dramatic.

I am sure it would be. And I can imagine why it would make people upset about HdLite.

But alas, for the next year or so, its just not in the cards, for a lot of reasons. And I am generally quite happy with the CRT's PQ, so no complaints here.

Take a look at Amazon, looks like they are lowering prices on HD-DVDs.

Evan Almighty was 27.95 yesterday now 18.95. Looks like the Wally World sale titles are 16.95 also

HD lite on a 1080P monitor does show. It is also 1080i not p from the satellite boys but I have discovered a simple solution. Get an upconversion video processor called the DVDO VID 50 Pro. It will make your 1080i stuff on Dishnetwork as well as the 720P stuff so close to HD DVD your eyes will pop. The dead giveaway, however, is the sound. HD DVD sound definition is way more than E*. BTW- the sd DVD also can be auto upconverted to 1080p with various schemes and while the detail is not there, the over image is the best HD conversion of SD DVD I have seen. If you have a good large screen FP HT for 1080p I'd recommend getting the processor as well. Besides, It comes with a nice multi source switch 4x1 HDMI as well as other analog inputs.

Watching Transformers on HD DVD; dang, amazing PQ, great sound, this film has one of the best HD transfers I have ever seen.

TRANSFORMERS also blew me away on HD DVD and I was hooked instantly! Now I refuse to buy SD DVDs. Only HD DVDs from now on! :D

Added another title to my collection, HP5. PQ is excellent, but the audio has not wowed me like Transformers and Bourne Identity.

Still, pretty darn nice.

Going to rent Bourne Ultimatum next week.

rocky- You should try Phantom of the Opera. You may not be a fan of operas and stage performances but this HD DVD has some spectacular imagery on PQ detail that makes the case for 1920 H pixels. They did a fabulous job of camera focus and depth of field in the scenes. Check out the costumes and detail in them. I had it playing when my wife came home after I had just finished with screen image calibration ( ISF) and when she saw the 1080p x 1920 screen for the first time she was convinced the investment was well worth it.

I to am loving my new A3. Got it hooked up to my Sony STR-DG810 with 10' Yamaha subwoofer. Sound is amazing. Got to go, watching HP and the TrueHD is crazy.

rocky- You should try Phantom of the Opera. You may not be a fan of operas and stage performances but this HD DVD has some spectacular imagery on PQ detail that makes the case for 1920 H pixels. They did a fabulous job of camera focus and depth of field in the scenes. Check out the costumes and detail in them. I had it playing when my wife came home after I had just finished with screen image calibration ( ISF) and when she saw the 1080p x 1920 screen for the first time she was convinced the investment was well worth it.

I will check that out sometime! Thanks Don!

I ended up having to return my HP disc; it was defective. I bought it at a Borders in Florida, but the local store gladly exchanged it. :)

I watched Bourne Ultimatum and was disappointed in the flaws too. It began to break up in image and lose sound at about 1 hr 55 minutes. The balance of the movie was unwatchable so I had to flip the disk over and finish watching on SD DVD side to see the story. :)

What is it with all these issues on both BluRay and HD DVD's not playing in players with the latest firmware upgrades.

I have the A30 Toshiba. Is it the DVD or is it the player? I had enough trouble with this DVD from Amazon and the carrier taking forever to get it. Now it doesn't play! :( :( :(

Amazon has a true HD DVD BOGO

HD DVD Bargains!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts