Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Haller

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 11, 2003
pittsburgh pa
I have a old windows 98 computer taking up space:( I have a old friend who might be able to use it for mild web surfing and e mail. she is on a limited income, retired, her hubby died some years ago, he was my old boss. nice lady.

so i am thinking of giving it to her, and perhaps a few months of access thrown in for free.

any good providers? local access is important. 412 655 XXXX is the number around clairton pa.

Any help would be appreciated.

I used the restore diask on the computer and its running good:) Heck I loaded AOL 9.0 and put it on my fios router. it ran fine....

Last dial-up I used (and I actually still have them) was juno. www.juno.com.
Had no problems with them whatsoever. Cost was $119.40 for the year (they'll also bill by the month, but I think you can get a little discount by paying yearly).

I went here: http://my.juno.com/s/numbers
and found these numbers available for the phone number you provided:

Access number Modem speed Location

(412) 267-0005 56k (V.90) McKeesport, PA
(412) 927-4283 56k (V.90/V.92) McKeesport, PA
(412) 927-4496 56k (V.90/V.92) Mckeesport, PA
(412) 379-4244 56k (V.90/V.92) Pittsburgh, PA
(412) 943-9005 56k (V.90) Pleasant Hills, PA

there may be better options out there -- I have no idea. But FWIW, I used juno (and when my broadband trial pricing runs out will likely go back), and haven't had any issues.

I am using Intergate, a little known provider that costs only $10 per month, and works just fine for me. Go to www.intergate.com to see all local numbers available around the country. I believe that they also offer a discount if paid a year in advance. I have been using them for approx. 5 years now, and wouldn't even consider a change. They are a no "bells & whistles" service unlike People PC for example that totally takes over your computer.

I use verizon DSL and it is only $14.99 a month. Before that I was using netzero which was $9.99 a month. For an extra $5 the speed you get is worth it. Just go to verizon's website and enter the phone # to see if it is available.

You can get Earthlink for $9.95 permanently. I just did yesterday. When I called them six months ago I told them that I was going to switch to Netscape because they had the internet for $9.95 with accelerator included and a free month. Told them to give me two months (one of those months to make up for some issues I had) and they gave it to me without hesitation and six more months for $9.95 a month. The six months was up and I called them back and asked them if they could either keep me as a customer at $9.95 or shut me off and I would switch. She said that she could get it for me for three more months at $9.95 but she could transfer me to someone higher to get it for me for longer. I was transferred and told me to give her five minutes after I heard some cheering in the background. She came back on and told me that they just started a new unadvertised promotion where you can get locked in at the $9.95 rate for one year. I told her to sign me up. Got the $21.95 knocked off my bill and now only charged $9.95

People PC is $10.99 a month I believe and it includes the web browser accelerator software. Net Zero charges $5 extra for it I think.

dragon002 said:
try people PC or net zero.

good lord bob, DIAL UP???

the poor woman may be DEAD before she gets on line

DSL isnt available from her home:( and Cable just costs way too much so dial up it is.

I will give her the dial up for free, she has very little $$:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts