Low powered NBC & ABC in Jacksonville

lazydogmot

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 27, 2009
N/E Florida
We live 23 miles max from the broadcasting towers in Jacksonville FL and cannot receive NBC 12 or ABC 25 due to their low power. TV Fool has them at 29 kW and 53 kW respectively. FOX 30 and CBS 47 are both at 1000 kW and their picture is super. Due to HOA, no outside antennas are allowed.

We have been using an Antenna Direct CSM1 rated at 30 miles. Have tried it on a Sony TV and a Samsung TV. Also tried on both our Hoppers. Bought a 1by one powered high gain low noise amplifier (20dB, <4dB). Didn't help with those two stations. Are we SOL because of their low power or is there some hope?

Thanks,
Tom

We live 23 miles max from the broadcasting towers in Jacksonville FL and cannot receive NBC 12 or ABC 25 due to their low power. TV Fool has them at 29 kW and 53 kW respectively. FOX 30 and CBS 47 are both at 1000 kW and their picture is super..
Both your ABC & NBC (and PBS) are on VHF (the station they actually transmit on). FOX and CBS are on UHF.
VHF stations transmit at less power than UHF but do travel further. (by the way in the analog days VHF has less power than UHF did) ;)

Due to HOA, no outside antennas are allowed
tell them they can shove it. You can put up an antenna as long as it isnt no more than 12 feet above the roof line
http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/thr...hoa-cant-stop-you-fcc-otard-reference.232368/

We have been using an Antenna Direct CSM1 rated at 30 miles.
issue is that is a UHF only antenna and wont get VHF stations.

Can you post your tvfool for us?
Can you put the antenna in the attic? Reason I ask is there are small combo (VHF/UHF) antennas that can go in the attic or the roof and would perform better than the indoor one you currently use

oh and technically a "low powered" station can only run up to 15k watts on UHF and 3k on VHF
(I have a couple low powered translators where I live....we need BIG antennas here) :)

It appears all of your important stations are in the same area, so I'm going to make a suggestion since you're in an HOA situation. IF you are in the market to buy a new antenna I would buy the new Xtreme HD Horizon X10 off Amazon or Solid Signal. I bought one of these on a gamble to use as my "travel" antenna before a recent trip to the mountains with my wife's family where I knew I would be TV less if I didn't do something. It has an adjustable amplifier that might allow you to "dial" it in to the signals you have in your area. The main reason I suggest it though is that it comes with a stand for indoor use, a mount for outdoor use, and even the hardware to mount it to a patio or balcony railing (if that is an option in your building? don't know). It's very small & discrete, but it packs a punch. It's slightly bigger than the antenna you have now.

I was shocked. It pulled in every station I needed where I went (tucked away in the Tennessee mountains). I honestly thought I was wasting my money, but it proved me wrong. I'm sandwiched between two markets where I live... one similar to yours where all the stations are in one direction with towers ranging from 16 miles to 45 miles, and the other with towers ranging from 27 miles to 70 miles. I can turn the pre-amp up on it and pick up every station with it sitting on my desk if it's pointed in the right direction. It does VHF just as well as UHF in my experience.

I'm not leaving home without it and my Tivo OTA ever again.

Thanks for the advice you guys, I appreciate it. I remember living in the SF Bay area and being close to 40 miles from the major networks and getting a pretty decent picture with rabbit ears that came attached to the TV sets. Things are different though. :eek:

I ordered a 1byone UHF/VHF/FM indoor antenna - 40 mile range with detachable 20dB amplifier. Since we are way less than 40 miles, it should be OK. I'll let you know how it works out.

Thanks again,
Tom

Reactions: Mr Tony
Just arrived today and it's going back. The Samsung has a signal meter and it bounced all over the place. Did a scan for channels on it and the Hopper. Never did get ABC25 and no PBS7. Got NBC12 but badly, on one of them and not the other. Got tons of ION21 and 59 whatever that is.

Guess I am going have to figure out something for the attic and how to cable it to the TVs.

Try the antenna I suggested. It's more expensive, but you can return it to Amazon if it doesn't work. I used the TV Towers app on iOS to point it and came out fine. It has adjustable gain so you can play with the amplification.

Unless you're getting FM interference on those VHF stations it will do the job. If it doesn't, you're going to need to add an FM trap to your setup. Others with more expertise in that area can comment on that possibility.

www.amazon.com/dp/B013X7ONHW/?tag=satell01-20

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)