Low Speed Data Port For RV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bulbman907

Original poster
Jun 13, 2009
Alaska
I need a Low Speed Data Port For RV

I recently purchased a 2005 RV with Tracvision LF/SF and the Satelite Receiver is missing. I called KVH the Company that makes the equipment and was informed i needed a receiver that has a low speed data port and that they are no longer made. Where can i find equipment to get things up and running? Maybe someone can give me the information on what would be the best equipment to use and if it would need to be upgraded or added onto to work? Thanks Anyone.

Last edited:
I recently purchased a 2005 RV with Tracvision LF/SF and the Satelite Receiver is missing. I called KVH the Company that makes the equipment and was informed i needed a receiver that has a low speed data port and that they are no longer made. Where can i find equipment to get things up and running? Maybe someone can give me the information on what would be the best equipment to use and if it would need to be upgraded or added onto to work? Thanks Anyone.

Have you tried ebay?

You might ask DIRECTV (or better yet, a dealer who works with RVs) and see if you could make something happen with a USB <-> RS-232 adapter.

Your next problem might be that most, if not all of the receivers with the low speed data ports were mpeg2 only.

I know there are quite a few people controlling H/HR receivers through the USB ports. No idea whats involved with it.

thank you guys....I'm still looking to hear from someone who mights have done it or knows how to do it...I will follow up on all suggestions:)

What receiver should i look for on ebay? Does anyone know what receiver i am looking for? I will need to know Make and Model of the receiver.

I feel like i'm looking for a machine to watch Beta Tapes

Your next problem might be that most, if not all of the receivers with the low speed data ports were mpeg2 only.
That's OK as most of the KVH antennas are Ku only -- a handful of HD channels.
I know there are quite a few people controlling H/HR receivers through the USB ports.
The principle is similar but reversed. The receiver must be able to tell the antenna what to do. I'd be interested to see if that capability still exists in any of the modern receivers. I'm inclined to think that they aren't.

It would appear that most of the latest mobile rigs use an outboard Nomad controller with built-in GPS to find the satellites.

Last edited:
The last D* receiver with low speed data port was the D10 SD receiver so that model or meny before the Directv brand came into use will be what you need. In other words RCA/HUGHES/ SONY branded propducts that have a low speed data port.

ok now i'm getting somewhere....i have brand names and models...i see some on ebay....Looking at the Manual on a few of these...As far as hookup on these...Can someone explain the scematic on the TracVision Hookup....the TracVision Dome itself has the following....RF2....Data/Power....RF1...Ports. Im told i needed to look for a Receiver with the (low speed data port)....What i dont understand is what is pluged into this port?

If you read the manual, you'll find that there is a switch panel at the other end of the data cable that has a DB9 port in it. That's where one end of the serial cable goes. The other end plugs into the receiver.

I would expect that this switch panel would be located somewhere near where the receiver is supposed to be located.

looking at the manual the switchplate has a RJ11 data cable to IRD listed as (optional) a center Data/Power Connector and a DB9 Connector listed as a (Maintenance Port).... The manual shows the DB9 Connector for use with a PC.....That would leave the RJ11 port available and it shows it going to the Receiver....Why is it listed as (optional) and something else that's confussing is that you can have a second receiver and connect it to the RF2 port directly on the Dome.

I have learned a lot from you guys in One Day....Thanks

is there anyway to rig this TracVision system LF/SF to get HD? or to use newer equipment? Without buying a new TracVison System?

My father had the same setup. He used an old sony (forget the model number) that had the data port to lock the satellite in and then after it was locked on he switched over to a new subscribed receiver. The receiver with the data port does not need to be activated for it to lock up the satellite. Of course this only works if your going to be stationary. Hope that helps.

Direct Tv stills has these types of boxes.....should i buy my own or let them provide it to me? They will let me use it, but it is their property

Ok...So I learned that the box I need should have a low speed data port....and that the LSDP is what keeps tracking the satelite while we are in motion.... is that correct?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts