Loyal Dish customer longevity

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Just curious olds... Does your name come from an old Oldsmobile V8 engine? Too bad Olds is no more. :(
Yes actually it does. I have a 1965 Cutlass convertible that is my hobby, and the first engine that I built for it (of the 3 that have been in it) was a 403, lol. Good catch. Yeah it sucks they are gone, my grandfather worked for Oldsmobile and always drove them too, new one every 2 years as they used to do.

Do y"all have really good memories or is there a place to look it up?I know I started with Dish and a 301.Started with C band(I think HBO started scrambling the month I got it) and had Direct after I got tired of maintenance hassles of a big dish on a 20 foot pole.Think I switched to Dish because they started offering locals.

Reactions: Mikeymax
Do y"all have really good memories or is there a place to look it up?I know I started with Dish and a 301.Started with C band(I think HBO started scrambling the month I got it) and had Direct after I got tired of maintenance hassles of a big dish on a 20 foot pole.Think I switched to Dish because they started offering locals.
I know what you mean about scrambling. We had a four meter dish in central Mexico since 1985 thru 1997 and soon had to deal with VideoCypher scrambling via "alternate methods".

Reactions: Mikeymax and tanman
I'll hit 22 years in June.
Unfortunately D* is the same way ...
In my personal opinion, they sign you up for a 2 year commitment originally, you complete that 2 years, you should have No More Commitments after that.
The advantage I've found in having a commitment is Dish is then forced into the price lock for two years. If there's no commitment on my part, then they can raise rates.

Nearly 23 years with E*/Dish for us technically, but on pause since October just to make sure the all streaming/Amazon Recast DVR/BD/DVD solution for us. It is and before long I'll close the account and see what they want me to do with the Vip722 (which is the original one we got from them in 2008). It's really no fault of theirs but there's no need for pay TV service with the plentiful lower cost and free streaming options available. About the only thing I can knock them for is the amount of SD channels that have HD equivalents but Dish doesn't carry the HD feed (TV Land, INSP, Hallmark Drama, numerous movie channels, etc). At this point SD only channels make no sense and I haven't considered them usable content that I am willing to pay for in several years. For the most part they have treated us well but times and priorities change and I have plenty of other things to spend the money on every month.

• Wow
Pretty sure we switched to Dish around 1998, so around 23 years. I remember buying one of the original TiVo boxes and interfacing it with the Dish receiver with the infrared doohickey. Only slightly less reliable than what we have today.

• Wow
Since 1998 or so, just after PDX locals came on line. I remember our first installation had three boxes; a 1000 in the bedroom and a 4700, and 4900 in the living room. The 4700 was hooked to a VHS unit so we could record one channel while watching another. Oh how things have changed.

As of today, I believe I have been a continuous Dish customer for 7,973 days. Might be off by a couple of days. That is based on the move-in date for the house we were in then and I am not sure if we activated on day 1, 2, or 3. That would have been April 1999.

• Wow
Dish will tell you how long you have been a subscriber...

• Love
Reactions: pattykay and tanman
Nearly 23 years with E*/Dish for us technically, but on pause since October just to make sure the all streaming/Amazon Recast DVR/BD/DVD solution for us. It is and before long I'll close the account and see what they want me to do with the Vip722 (which is the original one we got from them in 2008). It's really no fault of theirs but there's no need for pay TV service with the plentiful lower cost and free streaming options available. About the only thing I can knock them for is the amount of SD channels that have HD equivalents but Dish doesn't carry the HD feed (TV Land, INSP, Hallmark Drama, numerous movie channels, etc). At this point SD only channels make no sense and I haven't considered them usable content that I am willing to pay for in several years. For the most part they have treated us well but times and priorities change and I have plenty of other things to spend the money on every month.
I feel exactely the same!

Reactions: TVEngineerArk
14 years in May and resigned the 2 yr. contract last October. Customer service has always been good to me and nothing compares to the Hopper 3.

Subscribed in April 1997. A friend had told me about Dish Network and he had installed it on his house. We live in a rural area that had no cable and could only get 2 channels off the antenna so I was looking to get the new small dish satellite. I had read about it in Video magazine. Started working at a place that had the Internet. They wanted me to play on it to learn how to use it. I had never seen it before. I forget which search engine I was using, might have been Yahoo. Found a place selling the Dish package and installed it myself. I think we were just hitting one orbital back then so it wasn't that hard. Have had a number of dishes on different parts of my house since then, but that was the last one I installed. Been with Dish ever since. Tried Spectrum Roku Cable for a month a few months ago, but Mama didn't like it. Will be staying with Dish until we give up TV I think.

Echostar 2000 receiver package deal with one year of the Americas Top 120 programming from June of 1996 for me. I remember putting the Dish 300 together and finding a spot in the back yard where I could get a signal through the maple trees on the SW corner of our lot. Of course, the trees are taller now. Good thing we converted to EA a decade ago.

I remember doing an A/B switch between our Valley Cablevision and the Echostar receiver and being amazed how much clearer the image was. I've been with Dish ever since…

Since 1998 or so, just after PDX locals came on line. I remember our first installation had three boxes; a 1000 in the bedroom and a 4700, and 4900 in the living room. The 4700 was hooked to a VHS unit so we could record one channel while watching another. Oh how things have changed.

I had a JVC DVHS, and a 4900 connected to a replay Tv.

Bought the 4900 used and had locals from Pittsburgh and Denver for years, even though I never paid for Pittsburgh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is my 26th year and have had as many as 3 accounts at once but usually have 2. My lake house is in the boonies and it was the first place I had dish. When HD became available in 2000 I installed it at my primary residence. A dual dish setup with one pointing at 61.5 for HD. NASA was the only HD channel available. I still have no streaming alternatives at my lake house as internet is barely available. I have all the streamers you can buy for my primary residence and watch Dish less and less but I still like the DVR so I'm probably going to keep it until a reasonable alternative replaces it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)