LPGA to require all women to speak English

Personally I think it's ridiculus. I can understand Formula 1 required a single language, as you need to be able to understand instructions when driving at those speeds.

But what words do you need to understand in Golf? Fore?
If it's marketability they want, then just do what they do in women's tennis, get a bunch of hotties. That's the only reason anyone follows women's tennis, and no one cares if they can speak english, or speak for that matter.

Damn.....I forgot about that...damn good point Derwin!:up

I agree they need to learn English too....but FORCE them? IF NOT SUSPENSION??!! WTF??!! They European players and players from Far East countries do not NEED the US money....they make tons of money. People, OTHER COUNTRIES have ALOT of money and endorsements too.....hello.....:rolleyes:

From what I've read only 1 player has made no attempt to learn Engrish in the last 2 years. They may not need the the US money but they need the US tour. It is the largest and the most visual in terms of world wide viewing and sponsorship. They could also play on the asian tour

Ladies Asian Golf Tour

Is it that much different than when an employer prohibits smoking on its premises? The tour is a business and they have requirements too.

From what I've read only 1 player has made no attempt to learn Engrish in the last 2 years. They may not need the the US money but they need the US tour. It is the largest and the most visual in terms of world wide viewing and sponsorship. They could also play on the asian tour

Ladies Asian Golf Tour

Is it that much different than when an employer prohibits smoking on its premises? The tour is a business and they have requirements too.

Ok...as Derwin stated...explain womens professional tennis? You don't see any mandates on their behalf of REQUIRING the women to speak english, and shey sure as sh** have MORE European athletes than golf does?

The ONLY explination is what CharlesO stated....the LPGA want's a cut of that Far East pie(no pun intented) and they feel left out.

Ladies Asian Golf Tour

And it's their(LPGA) business at that. Like I said, I don't see any suspensions coming from this, but it is their tour, and they should be free to do what they like. You know, stuff like turning a profit.

Here is a little fuel for the fire....

MEXICO CITY (AP) - Lorena Ochoa of Mexico says a new LPGA Tour policy requiring players to be effective in English starting in 2009 is a "little drastic."

From event coverage to commentary to fantasy tips, Golfweek.com provides all you'll ever need to be up to speed on the world of golf. Ochoa, the No. 1 player in women's golf, says golfers are better judged by their performance.

She was asked at a charity event in her hometown of Guadalajara on Tuesday if she thought the new policy discriminated against international players.

"That is a very strong word. I wouldn't want to use it," said Ochoa, who speaks English. "But I do think it is a little drastic."

There are 121 international players from 26 countries on the LPGA Tour, including 45 players from South Korea.

FOX Sports on MSN - Golf - Ochoa: LPGA's English test 'a little drastic''

A big part of golf is the live gate, and fans like interacting with the players. At a smaller tournament on a weekday, most fans get to talk with many of the players. Even moreso at an LPGA, Champions, or Nationwide event. And, the high rollers love the pro-ams.

In the LPGA, its pretty much a nice round of golf with no talking.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts