LSU vs Ohio St.

Who will win the BCS championship?

• Ohio St.

Votes: 30 44.8%
  • LSU

Votes: 37 55.2%

• Total voters
Whatever, I'm just so sick of everyone saying "Told you so!!!" People love to rub it in when they're right, but when they're wrong (see Ohio State vs. Miami in 2003) they never come back to eat crow.
And other's are sick of the excuses (It wasn't cold enough, too long of a break, etc...). Just admit that LSU (and Florida before them) were better teams.

btw, Miami isn't in the SEC, never has been.

I admitted and even congratulated Mich on destroying florida, and made no excuses. The same cannot be said for OSU fans... And if you want to talk about home field advantage UF played in Orlando FLORIDA pretty far away from Mich I think.. and they still got their ass handed to them (uf)

The SEC cant help the fact that most the Bowls are in the south.. Why? Because of the weather of course. Id assume at least. There were quite a few OSU fans there in LA if you saw the crowd shots youd see it. You could even see the excitement on their faces and the crowd went crazy after the first couple plays when OSU scored.. After that all you heard was LSU fans because they were handing OSU a big whoopin. I dont know the stats but from the noise I heard on TV when OSU was up the stadium was rocking when LSU was up the stadium was rocking.

Also note OSU beat Miami in Overtime.. in what was a great championship game. No excuses OSU won, but noone dominated anyone in that game. It came down to the wire and whoever didnt make a mistake at the end won.

Wasting your time with OSU fans. I'm a transplant in columbus, after being here a week I've became anti-buckeye. (10 years now) These are the most obnoxious fare weather fans in the world. There teams up, you can't stand to be around them. There teams down they're no where to be seen, but the ref's are out to get them. blah,blah, blah. They do not lose gracefully, espeacially to Michigan. They damn near burnt the city down several years back after loosing to them!

And other's are sick of the excuses (It wasn't cold enough, too long of a break, etc...). Just admit that LSU (and Florida before them) were better teams.

While it may not be true of all Buckeye fans, I am not making excuses (I even said that the outcome would have been the same if played at a different site). I admit that LSU was clearly the better team, and Florida was a better team last year. Also, I never implied that Miami was an SEC team. I just pointed that out as an example of how people never own up when they're wrong, but love to PILE ON when they're right (just like everybody is doing now with the whole "SEC dominance, Big 10 sucks" theme). Before that game in 2003, it was amazing some of the things that I was hearing/reading from the so-called experts and columnists. I can post articles if you want evidence of some of their drivel. Yet these same personalities are back at it talking as if they know everything there is to know about college football. It's laughable.

stevenl: Visiting teams win quite often in football, but that doesn't mean it's not a disadvantage. I'm not using this as an excuse, but certainly you should be able to understand why many fans of Big 10 schools wish that the games could at least be played at neutral locations. This year we had OSU vs. LSU in LA, ILL vs. USC in CA, UM vs. UF in FL, PSU vs. A&M in TX, even Purdue vs. Central Mich in MI. I understand that this is the system we have, but it doesn't mean it's fair.

dail24: Based on your excellent grammar and usage, I'm assuming you're a transplant from the South, and that you probably attended a fine SEC institution. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on Buckeye fans. :rolleyes:

Just a question. Did Big 10 fans argue that the Rose Bowl was played in California every year before the BCS? If we didn't have the BCS in place, Ohio State would have traveled to Pasadena to play USC two years in a row. It's not like the bowls all of sudden started to be played outside of Big 10 country.

Just a question. Did Big 10 fans argue that the Rose Bowl was played in California every year before the BCS? If we didn't have the BCS in place, Ohio State would have traveled to Pasadena to play USC two years in a row. It's not like the bowls all of sudden started to be played outside of Big 10 country.
The fact that the Rose Bowl is a virtual home game for USC or UCLA has always been a point of contention, even before the BCS. Do you think USC/UCLA fans wouldn't whine if they had to play the game at the 'Shoe? ;) Incidentally, the last time OSU was in the Rose Bowl ('97), it was against ASU (they had Jake Plummer), so neither team had an advantage in terms of fan attendance (it was probably in OSU's favor). So you're right--it has always been the case that Big 10 teams often travel to "enemy territory" to play the bowl games. It's just that some years (like this year) are worse than others because of who gets selected to play in each game.

OK, next year have your team take 50 days off before playing in thier bowl game and play it in close proximity to the opponents home.

I'm tired of getting 50 days off, give me 2 weeks and lets go.
This is one reason I am pushing so hard for a playoff, so we don't have long delays.

SEC teams get 2 weeks off then play, your still in the flow of things, try taking a month and a half off ..... then it will be you crying about your team not playing the way they did at the end of the season.

Btw, how about playing a game on a neutral field for a change (execption was the Florida game)

Jimbo

FLA got their ass handed to them I make no excuse.. OSU gets their ass handed to them and you want to cry :rolleyes:

Mich did not have a problem with the Gators playing IN FLA, with plenty of rest..... In fact they have won more games vs the SEC then lost.... Whats OSU's excuse? 0 and 9 ?

Last Monday was NOT the norm.
Whats the wind chill at 32* and 15-25 mph wind ?
Curious, do you work outside ?
So if the game was in Ohio, would you still blame the weather? (How dare LSU bring warm weather with them. :rolleyes:

And yes, part of my job does involve working outside. Especially since the plant is several building, and some testing occurs outside.

As for the extra time off, that is no one's fault except the Big 10. The other conferences have been going until Turkey weekend forever.
And as mentioned, Michigan had no problem with it.

And it's not LSU's fault that the game was in New Orleans, it's on a rotating basis. And watching that game, I doubt it would have made a difference where it was.

So if the game was in Ohio, would you still blame the weather? (How dare LSU bring warm weather with them. :rolleyes:

And yes, part of my job does involve working outside. Especially since the plant is several building, and some testing occurs outside.

As for the extra time off, that is no one's fault except the Big 10. The other conferences have been going until Turkey weekend forever.
And as mentioned, Michigan had no problem with it.

And it's not LSU's fault that the game was in New Orleans, it's on a rotating basis. And watching that game, I doubt it would have made a difference where it was.

The Big ten plays till Thanksgiving weekend every year.
Why is it again your beloved SEC has scheduled OFF weeks in the season, the football season is suppose to be consecutive weeks of football, started out as 8 then 10 now going to 12.
Are you guys not able to handle playing 12 weeks without taking a few weeks off for you to get ready for your next opponent ?

There never use to be OFF weeks in college football, thats something you guys probably started too. WIMPS :D

Nothing worse than finding that your team has an OFF week stuck somewhere in the middle off the season for a true football fan.

IF they want to do it right.
All teams would start and finish on the same weekends...
NO BS conference Championship, thats JUST for MONEY, nothing else, you have enough money already.

Everyone should have thier football season completed BEFORE the 1st Weekend in DEC. period.

Then we take a week off and start the playoffs, top 16 teams according to BCS , If your not in the top 16, tough luck, your not going to win it any ways.
I would do away with the Coaches Poll, it's useless, Coaches don't have time to do it and do not have access to see all the other teams, Coaches poll has always been useless.
Unless you want to form a Coaches poll from retired coaches that are interested in doing this type of thing. It should be the "Former Coaches" poll !

Start the playoffs the first weekend in Dec..
Skip my week off, that got taken when I moved the playoffs to 16 teams, original idea was 10 or 12 teams.

Teams with the higher seed are HOME teams.
This way the fragile warm weather teams would potentially have to play up north occasinally, making more sense than NEVER going north of New Orleans and it would make a fun playoff and be much more fair to the teams that come from the north.

Jimbo

I have nothing against your SEC other than you think your entitled to something and thats not right.

Last time I looked Teams played one another not against the conference

Odd how the bottom 2/3rds of the SEC teams never get mentioned, but how bad the Big Ten is from top to bottom does.

Most year the SEC has 3-4 really good teams and the Big Ten has 2-3.

The Big ten plays till Thanksgiving weekend every year.
Why is it again your beloved SEC has scheduled OFF weeks in the season, the football season is suppose to be consecutive weeks of football, started out as 8 then 10 now going to 12.
The open weeks are in there because teams like to have the first game on Labor Day weekend, and the last game (typically against the in-state rival) and the weekend of Thanksgiving. That currently leaves a week open (before 12 games it left 2 weeks open). That's how they've always done it down south. It's not the SEC (or anyone else's fault) that the Big 10 ends earlier.

The opposite argument is that the extra time gave you more time to rest, recover, and prepare; but you don't see Florida using that excuse.

So stop using it as an excuse for getting your ass handed to you.

I have nothing against your SEC other than you think your entitled to something and thats not right.
Actually I went to an ACC school, but unfortunately Ga Tech (and the rest of the conference) has sucked lately.
UGa would be my second favorite, as I grew up a Dawg fan (until I went to GT and became a Techmite).

I don't see a sense of entitlement. Hell, no ones was saying that Ohio St. shouldn't be in the game. They are just saying that Ohio St. couldn't keep up with the SEC teams, and Ohio St. hasn't proven anyone differently. All we are hearing is excuses (long break, warm weather-it was in a freaking dome!!!, air conditioned no less).

I can see I am getting no where in this thread, which is why I was not in it for the longest time.

No one said Ohio State should not be in it... you've had your eyes closed then.
Look around in these threads and nationally in the media.
Pat Forde (ESPN) actually came out an said that Ohio State should not be allowed in a big game again.

ESPN - Buckeyes and BCS title game: Third time's a harm - Columnist

Jimbo

Look around in these threads and nationally in the media.
Pat Forde (ESPN) actually came out an said that Ohio State should not be allowed in a big game again.
I would be the first to argue against him. Ohio State was one of the larger conference champions, and the only one with a single loss. That alone justified their ranking and inclusion in the game. If they had 2 losses, then I would probably argue otherwise, but their record provided all the justification they needed.
LSU's inclusion I would justify that they beat the other 2 loss conference champions earlier that year (Virginia Tech) or had a stronger schedule/performance (USC/Oklahoma/West Virginia).

Again, I have no problem with Ohio St. being in the game. I just am tired of the excuses for losing it.

I would be the first to argue against him. Ohio State was one of the larger conference champions, and the only one with a single loss. That alone justified their ranking and inclusion in the game. If they had 2 losses, then I would probably argue otherwise, but their record provided all the justification they needed.
LSU's inclusion I would justify that they beat the other 2 loss conference champions earlier that year (Virginia Tech) or had a stronger schedule/performance (USC/Oklahoma/West Virginia).

That didn't seem to matter to him, He wants the Bucks to not be allowed down south for the forseeable future.

Jimbo

For what it's worth, the Big 10 will be adding a bye week to the schedule in 2009, so OSU-UM will be played after Thanksgiving. It's not just the fans that think a 51-day layoff is too long. Also, we had to hear the talking heads whine about how Ohio State was sitting home on the couch while other teams were out there playing and losing. Even though it's a BS argument considering that every team plays roughly the same number of games, it obviously has something to do with how the conference schedule is perceived. Link: SpringfieldNewsSun: Dayton, Ohio, news and information

Also, the long layoff "excuse" is not something that is used only by fans of Big 10 teams. Read this article abstract that I found on the Gators' fan board:
"Any time a team doesn't play for a month, sloppiness is always a concern. For Florida it was a definite issue throughout the first half of the Capital One Bowl." Link: Scout.com: UF/UM Odds and Ends

It's funny that Gator fans dismissed that notion from Buckeye fans after last year's game, but now that Florida gets dismantled by a crappy Big 10 team, the "excuse" is valid.

Mets get Santana??

Georgia Frontiere Rams and NFL's ONLY Female owner dies

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)