Luken Communications Translators Saga

localclassictvfan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 26, 2015
Lafayette, Louisiana
Does anyone know if Luken will launch their 8 stations on the 78 low power translators they acquired a few years ago. We have one that is K39JV out of Opelousas. At one point it was a go but nothing has come on yet

I honestly dont think they will come to fruition. They bought a bunch of analog translator stations from TBN when TBN decided not to upgrade to DTV (due to cost). They literally have just the tower in some cases as the TBN stations were just translators of the main station
Also a few years ago Luken was in "better situation" (financially) than now.

A TV that I use in one of these ex-TBN/now-Luken markets scanned in an analog signal on of one of these channels about 12 months ago or so. By the time I noticed it, the signal was gone. It does seem like they're trying to at least hit the minimum operation requirements to keep the license active. (Based on location, geography and the fact that it was the only non-regular to scan in, I don't think it was a DX catch)

There were a few "phantom" stations in the area that did not exist, so I appreciate that they are at least making an attempt at activating the signal to keep it active. The others didn't appear to even do that.

When I worked there, we were moving toward getting them built out in digital as money allowed, and saving the licenses (as RjDRjD notes) on the others. Shortly after I left, the company went into bankruptcy and, as far as I know, all activity on building them out was frozen. Luken is now out of bankruptcy but I don't know the status of the stations. I have to assume they won't spend any money on further digital build-outs until after the incentive auction, though.

- Trip

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)