Lyngsat now again active, Sathint broken? (Dated: 2021.03.23)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rogerxx

Original poster
Nov 27, 2020
Ohio
Looks like sathint.com website is now broken, while lyngsat is, now once again, showing recent changes after several years of inactivity.

Feedback anybody?
(2021.03.23)

Reactions: c-spand
The link is stated as gone, or rather is likely restricted to viewing only for VIP members.
Here is what we know, right from the owner of Sathint:
Hyper [March 21, 2021, 06:25:11 PM]:there are some other reasons, i hope to explain more in the next day or two. SatHint.com may be back, but in a different format

As for the previous link, ask a mod to give you access to the: FTA - Whats up there? forum

Thanks for the snip/paste.

I've long since given-up trying to request access to those private posts.

As they say, if it's not in the public (or clear text), then God likely doesn't want me (to waste time) looking at the (private) posts.

I'm sure this'll be a hot-topic for FTA installers/users, as we rely upon the documentation at lyngsat.com/sathint.com satellite websites.

Reactions: c-spand
it's a great resource (not perfect though) for coverage maps, and for satellite lists (as in "what satellites are in a specific orbital slot?"), but the transponder/channel database is not very accurate for North America (it gets some updates, but also has a lot of outdated or innacurate information)

Too bad to see it gone.

We have the resources here to host something like that. (Remember The List?) but just no time.

If anyone want to try it let me know. I would be happy to have a good FTA list back again. :)

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: primestar31
It seems much of the online satellite database sites lack accuracy. None that I have seen are correct for 139 west for which birds are there. I know it is not the most important slot in the arc.....but.

Too bad to see it gone.

We have the resources here to host something like that. (Remember The List?) but just no time.

If anyone want to try it let me know. I would be happy to have a good FTA list back again. :)

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

What kind of time would be needed you think? I have the expertise to do so (and maybe the resources). I could probably put in a little time -- I can't see it taking too much effort?

What kind of time would be needed you think? I have the expertise to do so (and maybe the resources). I could probably put in a little time -- I can't see it taking too much effort?
I am not a programmer so I am not really sure how much time it takes.

But I am guessing a database which is easy to edit, and PHP to display it and search through the database.

I am not a programmer so I am not really sure how much time it takes.

But I am guessing a database which is easy to edit, and PHP to display it and search through the database.

I guess I was making the assumption that Casey would let whomever decides to takeover have the existing codebase and database, and then only maintenance and updates would be required. (With some occasional updates to add features or fix bugs). I am a Software Developer, and thoug PHP isn't my preferred language, I do have some experience with it in the past.

I guess I was making the assumption that Casey would let whomever decides to takeover have the existing codebase and database, and then only maintenance and updates would be required. (With some occasional updates to add features or fix bugs). I am a Software Developer, and thoug PHP isn't my preferred language, I do have some experience with it in the past.
It would be nice to start from scratch with a fresh database. It would just take some time to build it up. It needs to be written so that the average Joe could edit it. Not just anybody, but only ones given rights to do so, but would not need to be a programmer. Most all of the existing databases are always so out of date anyway and inaccurate. If we had one here and then have a forum for it for the active guys to have a place to submit changes, then I could update it almost daily.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)