Lyngsat now again active, Sathint broken? (Dated: 2021.03.23)

It would be nice to start from scratch with a fresh database. It would just take some time to build it up. It needs to be written so that the average Joe could edit it. Not just anybody, but only ones given rights to do so, but would not need to be a programmer. Most all of the existing databases are always so out of date anyway and inaccurate. If we had one here and then have a forum for it for the active guys to have a place to submit changes, then I could update it almost daily.
Lets just say ... if I were to build one from scratch: What did everyone like and dislike about sathint? Also, I would take inspiration from lyngsat. What would everyone's ideal system look like? I've been looking for a side project, and since there seems to be a need, I might take a crack at it. I want to build something others would actually use though, so I welcome suggestions.

Lets just say ... if I were to build one from scratch: What did everyone like and dislike about sathint? Also, I would take inspiration from lyngsat. What would everyone's ideal system look like? I've been looking for a side project, and since there seems to be a need, I might take a crack at it. I want to build something others would actually use though, so I welcome suggestions.
Always liked the way Lyngsat denotes whether channels are sd, hd, scrambled, itc, etc by color coding. Makes it easy to skip through a list of transponders. A search feature would be nice with the ability to show results on all or selected satellites for a specific channel, frequency, band, etc. :)

Automated contribution examples, an Edision OS Mio STB running TNAP (or any Engima2 based device) or USB/PCB tuner software generates an XML based service scan file, compatible with sharing to an online database. Other user data bases could be formatted to xml for submission. For manual contribution, a user webpage could format and hold data for admin approval prior to publishing to a database.

Reactions: raydio and FTA4PA
It seems much of the online satellite database sites lack accuracy. None that I have seen are correct for 139 west for which birds are there. I know it is not the most important slot in the arc.....but.
Lyngsat shows 139 as blank. Is there anything currently there?

If the database could be downloaded (i.e. standard xml database), a user could checkbox the desired satellites, transponders and services to create a customized file for loading to their STB. Many online converters available for xml to different file types.

One of my favorite tools for creating satellite, transponder lists for Dr.HD meters and Enigma2 STBs is: satellites.xml creator Using this as an example for .xml database management, one could add a services layer for TV and Radio channel selection.

Reactions: raydio
Automated contribution examples, an Edision OS Mio STB running TNAP (or any Engima2 based device) or USB/PCB tuner software generates an XML based service scan file, compatible with sharing to an online database. Other user data bases could be formatted to xml for submission. For manual contribution, a user webpage could format and hold data for admin approval prior to publishing to a database.
Gee Brian, you sure have a handle on what needs to be done...how long would it take you to do it? Ha Ha like you have all sorts of spare time right?

It would great to have a Satelliteguys version of Sathint, Lyngsat, etc. I'm sure Scott knows his userbase but I'm confident for North America we would have a enough users to keep the database reasonably up to date.

sfeeds.com (account needed to sign in) is and older database that is occasionally updated and has satellites from 5W to 180 already in. Is it easier to take on something like this rather than reinvent the wheel? It was an offshoot of satforums.com mainly for 4DTv, DCII and mpeg2/dvb.

Hi all,

I preferred Sathint over Lyngsat as it seemed more up to date.
However, now that Casey has decided to end this great service, I’m back to Lyngsat.
Would love to see a new more updated list.

John

I'd be interested in participating in such project. As far as style of presentation, I think that all the sites we often use(d) (like lyngsat, sathint, tvrosat, portaleds, etc...) all have pros and cons.

I didn't use sathint all that much, I was usually more confortable with Lyngsat.They all suffer from the same problem, which is that it's difficult to keep things up to date.

One feature that I think is sorely lacking on Lyngsat, and that I think most other sites have, is an update list. On Lyngsat it's ok if a new channel is added: you get the highlight on the satellite list, and then the added info is also highlighted. The problem is with removals - you get the highlight next to a blank line and unless you have a really good memory, you just don't know what was just removed.