Mad Scientist Hooks up 5 Satellite Locations!!!!

More experiments in Dish switching

Ok since the switching universe has converged on the top of my house, I decided to run a couple more experiments (especially since I still had the extension ladder still up)....

DP+44 pass through to a DP34

Yes you can drive a DP34 off the pass through ports of the DP+44 without any problems...

DP34 DP21 cascade for 4 satellites

Yes you can cascade a DP34 off one of the LNB inputs to a DP21 and tie a 4th satellite to the other port of the DP21 and see 4 satellites. Of course note that you can only have 1 reciever with this configuration without buying another DP21. This also only works with DP receivers, the DP+44 has definite advantages.

Both of the above just tested.

Any more experiments for a DP+44, DP34, DP21 that anyone would want to see?

Insane switching... beyond Xtream!

Ok going for the bonus round I tried DP21 with LNB connection being DPP44, and connection 2 being DP34....

Ok, believe it or not the receiver found 5 LNBs. It found the 4 on the DPP44 and the first port of the SW34.

Now you ask why bother with the SW34 if only one port could be used... Well the minor advantage is that it will split the feed of the 5th lnb to 4 ports. and you could in theory hook up 3 DP34 feed throughs to replicate the satellite 12 times.

Perhaps someday Dish will add the logic to the recievers to see 7 satellites (or even 8 with 2 DP+44s). Then Dish could give you a 7' dish solution to see 8 satellites at once, back to the future ala Cband sized dishes.

mike123abc said:
Any more experiments for a DP+44, DP34, DP21 that anyone would want to see?
How many times can you go up the ladder and back down, juggling all three switches, without falling off?

Bimmerbenz

How about hooking the DP21 to the pass-through outputs of DP34 and DPP44?

It could have application for some 5-receiver setups where the 5th receiver only needed 110 & 119.

Mike - if you have some matrix-type notes on this, I'd love to have them as the start for the configuration database. :)

mike123abc said:
Ok going for the bonus round I tried DP21 with LNB connection being DPP44, and connection 2 being DP34....

Ok, believe it or not the receiver found 5 LNBs. It found the 4 on the DPP44 and the first port of the SW34.

Now you ask why bother with the SW34 if only one port could be used... Well the minor advantage is that it will split the feed of the 5th lnb to 4 ports. and you could in theory hook up 3 DP34 feed throughs to replicate the satellite 12 times.

Perhaps someday Dish will add the logic to the recievers to see 7 satellites (or even 8 with 2 DP+44s). Then Dish could give you a 7' dish solution to see 8 satellites at once, back to the future ala Cband sized dishes.

How about this... try moving one of the four inputs from the DPP44 to the DP34 and see if it still sees five of them? Or put up a sixth dish and see what it finds. I was about to ask if you had tried with a DPP44 on both sides for eight total inputs but you beat me to it. (is it DPP44 or DP+44)??

This is an awesome topic, maybe somebody with graphical experience (not me!) could diagram the working configurations.

Pepper said:
...This is an awesome topic, maybe somebody with graphical experience (not me!) could diagram the working configurations.
Someone around here had some nice graphics that could maybe be a basis for that. What I'm looking for are 'pieces' that could be 'assembled' programatically on-the-fly driven by the database I'm going to build.

I haven't fleshed it out yet, but I'm envisioning something where a user would tell the program what he wants, what he's already got, and it would tell him what else he needed, and how to hook it up. :)

Attachments

• DP32_DP21.pdf
    46.7 KB · Views: 372
  • DP32_feed_DP21.pdf
    46.7 KB · Views: 378
dlsnyder said:
Would one leg of a DP twin into one side of a DP21 and one of the outputs of a DP+44 into the other result in six satellites seen?

I do not have a DP twin so I could not experiment with it. I do not think that it would work though. The logic appears to be that if the first switch the DP receiver sees is a DP21 it looks on side 1 to see if there is a switch attached, if so then it will attempt to cascade that switch. If there is no switch to side 1 of the DP21, it will look on side 2. Once it has found a second switch it does not appear to attempt to look for yet another switch. As experimented above when a DPP44 is on side 1 and a DP34 is on side 2 of the DP21 it only finds the DP44 and then used the first port off the DP34.

Given the above logic, if you hooked up a DPP44 to side 1 and a DP twin on the other it would see the DP44 and 1 side of the DP twin for a total of 5 satellites. If you hooked up a DP twin on side 1 and a DP44 on side 2 it would see 3 satellites, the 2 on the DP twin and a third from the first port of the DPP44. But, I do not have a way to test this, but it is what I would speculate would happen.

Khandurian said:
Ive been studying your first pics of the 5 dish 5 sat setup.... I didnt see a wiring diagram for that.... Could you please post that diagram?? thanks

goaliebob99 said:
hey send me a diagram on how everythings hooked up.. im doing this myself.. except im going to do this like.. 119 110 121 615 148

Well I do not have a snazzy picture of the DPP44 to cut and paste, but here is a basic one. Note that I have the DP21 NOT connected to the first input of the DPP44 switch. This is because as mentioned above the first receiver port needs the power inserter on it. The DP21 appears to block the power. The only way to get the DP21 to work on the first receiver port is to put the power inserter BETWEEN the DP21 and the DPP44. Not very easy to do since the power inserter is not meant for outdoor use. You would have to run a cable inside from the receiver port 1 for power and back out to the DP21, or run the 5th dish cable in with the receiver port 1 and have the DP21 inside. Either way you end up with an extra cable coming inside. Also note the separator cannot be used with the DP21.

Attachments

• DPP44_DP21.pdf
    48.1 KB · Views: 418
Looks great.. thanks for the quick reply... One more question, and I promise I'll stop buggin you.... In your pic, I see that your 110 and 119 dish is not using DPLNB? Are those standard 110 and 119 lnbs? Or are my eyes playing tricks on me??

Khandurian.....

Khandurian said:
Looks great.. thanks for the quick reply... One more question, and I promise I'll stop buggin you.... In your pic, I see that your 110 and 119 dish is not using DPLNB? Are those standard 110 and 119 lnbs? Or are my eyes playing tricks on me??

Khandurian.....

The dish picture is just a generic one from Dish's web site. There is a DP logo on every one of the dishes in the picture. All of this is DP technology. Legacy peaks at 4 dishes max.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)