Mad Scientist Hooks up 5 Satellite Locations!!!!

mike123abc

Too many cables
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 25, 2003
Norman, OK
Dish is lining up satellite capacity right and left:

Plus 2 more Ku-FSS, and working on an unknown number of Ku-DBS slots. Will dish come out with the MegaDish able to see 12 satellites and the DP+12:4 switch?

Well the need to see 12 satellites at once is a project for the future. What is needed for today? At this moment it is possible to have programming on 5 different satellites! Pity the poor soul that:

1. Has locals on 105
2. Subscribes to Sky Angel on 61.5
3. Has AT180/HD/Movies/etc on 119/110
4. Has international channels only available on 121

The DP34 switch gave out long ago... What is that? The fabulous DP+44 switch is missing a fifth satellite input!

Never fear the mad scientist has been busy! For this experiment I will need some satellite dishes and some switching power. I selected 61.5, 105, 110, 119 and 121 for the experiment. See below the pictures of a mad scientist's rooftop filled with satellite dishes. Also see the secret arsenal of a DP+44 and DP21 switches:

Attachments

• rooftop-2.jpg
    rooftop-2.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 1,897
  • rooftop-3.jpg
    rooftop-3.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 2,298
  • DPP44-21.jpg
    DPP44-21.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 2,228
First Experiment the 811

Even for the mad scientist experimenting on the 921 first is just too risky...

But, going out on a limb testing the 811 first seemed to balance risk vs reward.

The 811 was hooked up to port #2 of the DP+44 switch. I disconnected it from the second port and connected the receiver line to the DP21 switch. I then proceeded to connect the DP+44 switch to satellite input 1 of the DP21 and the 5th satellite (105) to satellite input 2.

This experiment turned out way to easy! Running switch test and it shows that it will do 5 tests. And up pops the switch matrix showing 5 satellites. It is interesting that looking at the spacing of the switches on the screen that the 811 has room for 8 switches! Perhaps the MegaDish is in the early planning stages.

Attachments

• 811-ST5of5.jpg
    811-ST5of5.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 1,154
  • 811-5sat-matrix.jpg
    811-5sat-matrix.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 1,704
  • 811-61.5.jpg
    811-61.5.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 971
  • 811-105.jpg
    811-105.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 848
  • 811-110.jpg
    811-110.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 796
  • 811-119.jpg
    811-119.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 683
  • 811-121.jpg
    811-121.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 835
  • 811-105-Congrats.jpg
    811-105-Congrats.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 1,057
  • 811-121-Congrats.jpg
    811-121-Congrats.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 1,024
Going for the gold with the 921! Part 1: experiments with the DP+separator

Emboldened by the unbelievably easy install of 5 satellites on the 811, it was time to tackle the most finicky of Dish receivers.... the dreaded 921.

The first experiment was a simple failure :eek:

Well I really did not think it would work, but I decided to test it out and see if Dish miracles could happen. It is the most difficult possible configuration:

1. DP+separator attached to the two inputs with about 1 foot of cable
2. Power inserter about 1 foot past the DP+separator
3. Line to the outside to connect to the DP21
4. Connections of the DP21 to the DP+44 on side 1 and 105 on side 2

Note that before the addition of of the SW21 the 921 was seeing 4 satellites on the DP+44 using the separator to feed both inputs with one cable from the switch.

This experiment resulted in only 1 satellite visible, 105 on the SW21. It is understandable since I suspect the DP+44 was not receiving power from the power inserter since it was behind the DP21 switch. One has to wonder when the DP+21 comes out next year if it will pass power through it.

The next experiment was to move the power inserter to the roof and put it between the DP21 and the DP+44 switches. This produced a most interesting result. I was surprised that it worked like it did, but the mysteries of the DP+separator are not solved! Note the screen shot here of the switch matrix test. You will see tuner 1 found 4 satellites and tuner 2 found 5! Of course this experiment was not really expected to work since the DP21 is not a DP+21 and the receiver has no real way to ask it for the separate bands from different satellites.

As a last ditch effort to see if there was any way to get the separator to work I put the DP21 switch on the other side of the DP+44 switch. I hooked up one of the LNB feeds of the DP+44 to the receiver output of the DP21 and hooked up 2 satellites to the DP21. This resulted in no switches being found at all... Curious the DP+44 did not even show up.

For your amusement I attached 2 screen shots of the DP21/DP+44/DP+Separator combination. Note that it sees a satellite on one tuner but not the other.

Attachments

• 921-w-sep-matrix.jpg
    921-w-sep-matrix.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 1,171
  • 921-w-sep-details.jpg
    921-w-sep-details.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 951
Going for the gold with the 921! Part 2: experiments with 2 lines

Well after exhausting the methods to try to get the separator to work, I turned to the 2 lines from the DP+44 switch to the 921. Note that in the first experiments I used 105 as the 5th satellite. I could not do this in the 2 line test because SuperDISH Ku-FSS LNB's only have 1 drop each. So, I put 105 on the DP+44 and put 61.5 on the DP21 switches.

One would expect that this would work right away. But, there is some flaky interaction between the 921 and the DP+44 switch. Since I took out the DP+separator, and hooked up two feeds I think either the DP+44 or the 921 was confused. I actually think it is a 921 confusion. Note in the picture attached (921-confused) it shows as 2 satellites on input 1 and 4 on input 2 instead of seeing 5/5. Powering off the 921, doing a switch test with nothing connected to the 921, checking all the connections, powering off the DP+44, etc would not seem to fix the problem.

What was the solution? Moving the SW21 off of port 1 of the DP+44 and then the 921 immediately saw both switches on both feeds and properly did the switch test with all 5 satellites. Hmmm well after that I unhooked the feed from port 2 of the DP+44 and plugged it back on to port 1. Running switch test worked right away and the 921 again saw 5 satellites.

I suspect that the 921/DP+44 somehow remembered that they were doing a DP+Separator and they would not snap out of it and realize that the separator was no longer in place. Only after doing it on port 2 it was brought out of its weird state and then would work on port 1 also. I think it could be both the 921 and the DP+44 reminding eachother of the separator or something. Attached is the working switch test. Note from the switch test picture, the 921 leaves no room for going beyond 5 satellites without redoing the screen.

Attachments

• 921-confused.jpg
    921-confused.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 600
  • 921-working.jpg
    921-working.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 792
Yawn 301 receiver works too...

Well just to be complete 5 satellites was tested with the 301, the only thing of minor interest is that the switch matrix screen manages to squeeze the information about 5 satellites along the top where the 811 only fits 4. It too looks like it has room for about 8 satellite locations...

Attachments

• 301-switch test.jpg
    301-switch test.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 726
  • 301-matrix.jpg
    301-matrix.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 919
  • 301-details.jpg
    301-details.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 681
Final thoughts and issues

First it must be noted that only the DishPro receivers will see 5 satellites. The limit for older receivers is 4, and for the oldest 3.

Issues:

1. The power pass through of the DP21 switch. Will the DP+21 pass the power through? If not it will make port 1 unable to be used for 5 satellites unless you run 2 lines into the house and put the DP21/DP+21 in the house. The power supply to the DP+44 has to be inside.

2. DP21 does not work with the separator. The issue here is that the DP+21 will not be ready for some time (spring next year?). So, you are forced to use 2 drops to all the 2 tuner receivers.

3. The weird interaction of the DP+44/921/DP+Separator. Taking out the DP+Separator is hard to get working again properly. A workaround would be to hook up the drop to a different port on the DP+44 to clear the odd state.

4. The Ku-FSS LNB only has a single port. How many times can it be split? I would assume the dual port LNBs could be split at least once for 4 drops.

5. It is a lot of switches and wiring to support this (plus the DP21s are $28/each). Perhaps a DP+64 could be developed one day.

6. Not many people have the roof space for 3 dishes. Especially if 2 of them are SuperDISH.

Well the experiment was fun, and if Dish ever announces something exciting like a new HD satellite location, I will know what I need to get ready for it.

Cool. I like the way you think and how you tackled the challenge. As an early experimenter with 4 satellites a couple years ago, I know the feeling.

Any chance that combining a DP+44 and a DP+34 through a DP21 would work? That ought to give you seven satellites if it is supported.

And there STILL isn't any compelling HD content! :D

dlsnyder said:
Any chance that combining a DP+44 and a DP+34 through a DP21 would work? That ought to give you seven satellites if it is supported.

And there STILL isn't any compelling HD content! :D

I would prefer to see the DP+44 able to support DP21s on the connections to deliver up to 8 satellites. But, of course it probably would never work because 1) DP+44 is not programmable to make a change like this and 2) how would the pass throughs work....

The main problem that Dish has had is that it has had too many satellites. DIRECTV has been forced to work with just the CONUS slots so they put up better spot beam satellites. Dish has taken the cheaper route and spread LIL across 61.5, 105, 110, 119, 121 and 148....

Budwieser needs to write a "Real Men of Genius" song/commerical about you. You're a hero to us all. *cyclone begins to tear up* **sniff sniff**

Scott Greczkowski said:
I can see it now...

Real Men of Genius... Here's to you Mr Satellite Switch hook'em upper guy!

If you know the jingle....sing along :)

Here's to you Mr Satellite Switch hook'em up guy (Mr Satellite Switch hook'em up guy)
You defy the limitations of normal satellite hookups
by adding more switches to your setup (add them switches)
A new satellite came up?
Well, lets add another switch to it
You keep going...3 satellites, 4 satellites
you don't stop until you have all of them (hook em all up)
So heres to you
Mr Satellite switch hook'em up guy
You have more satellites than the satellite company
AND YOURE PROUD OF IT
(Mr Satellite switch hook'em up guy)

Iceberg said:
If you know the jingle....sing along :)

Here's to you Mr Satellite Switch hook'em up guy (Mr Satellite Switch hook'em up guy)
You defy the limitations of normal satellite hookups
by adding more switches to your setup (add them switches)
A new satellite came up?
Well, lets add another switch to it
You keep going...3 satellites, 4 satellites
you don't stop until you have all of them (hook em all up)
So heres to you
Mr Satellite switch hook'em up guy
You have more satellites than the satellite company
AND YOURE PROUD OF IT
(Mr Satellite switch hook'em up guy)
Post of the year Canidate! :D :D :yes :rainbow :bow :music :clap

Absolutely! Mike - you DA MAN!

Now, we MUST make sure that this data does NOT fall by the wayside.

Scott, how can we do that? Is anyone out there keeping a "known good" configuration database? If not, I volunteer to build it - if you can host it.

I mean we get these kinds of questions all the time - can I diplex a barfer32 switch with a snurdl LNBF on a farksneller cable split 3 ways? :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)