Made the jump- Anything I should know?? :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Murph74

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 24, 2005
Hey guys, just jumped off Charlie's ship in favor of greener pastures and a hopefully better experience. Almost went Charter Cable route, but they couldn't even get my internet right, so they're out of the picture all together now.

Install is scheduled for Thursday afternoon.

The package I went with was the AAA "Choice Extra" Promo, with 1 HD DVR (HR24 I presume?) and 1 HD converter with Whole Home DVR Service. "True" cost per month for the 24 months will average to be $58.08 plus taxes I'm told, so I'm actually saving about $10 a month over my current Dish bill.

I've read up best I could, but D* is a whole new world to me. Based on what I locals I like to watch, I'm probably going to want the AM21, too. Is that something I should call in for or just tell the installer? Any other suggestions to make sure the transition is as smooth as possible? Thanks for any input and looking forward to becoming a more frequent contributor in the days to come! :)

Murph

I had mine installed on Sat. I was told "not to expect the HR24. I got an HR24 and H24. The installer said that is all he uses. The only thing, you need to find is a "referral" to save an extra $100

The AM21 will need to be called or ordered online. I "think" it is $100

Hey guys, just jumped off Charlie's ship in favor of greener pastures and a hopefully better experience. Almost went Charter Cable route, but they couldn't even get my internet right, so they're out of the picture all together now.

Install is scheduled for Thursday afternoon.

The package I went with was the AAA "Choice Extra" Promo, with 1 HD DVR (HR24 I presume?) and 1 HD converter with Whole Home DVR Service. "True" cost per month for the 24 months will average to be $58.08 plus taxes I'm told, so I'm actually saving about $10 a month over my current Dish bill.

I've read up best I could, but D* is a whole new world to me. Based on what I locals I like to watch, I'm probably going to want the AM21, too. Is that something I should call in for or just tell the installer? Any other suggestions to make sure the transition is as smooth as possible? Thanks for any input and looking forward to becoming a more frequent contributor in the days to come! :)

Murph

I had mine installed on Sat. I was told "not to expect the HR24. I got an HR24 and H24. The installer said that is all he uses. The only thing, you need to find is a "referral" to save an extra $100

The AM21 will need to be called or ordered online. I "think" it is $100

The AM 21 is $50 thru D*.
If you need one you'll want to call D* and add it to your order well before they send the guy out, if it's not on the order, you won't get it.

You can order them online as well for $ 59 thru a site sponsor.

welcome to Directv.
I read your thread in the dish area as to why you are coming here and you made a wise decision

1. you'll get ALL your local hockey games (not some)
2. you dont have to worry about if your local MLB team is going to be in HD or not. If its in HD you'll see it :)
3. MLB Net rocks!

I came aboard in February and its the best decision I made :)

Ok, thanks guys. I'll call them now to make sure I'm getting what I expect to get, or at least have a good idea of what I'm getting.

The AM21 seems to make sense, too, for bad weather or to see the dot-2's on OTA. :)

Does anyone know how Direct installers hook up to non-video input compatible TV's? Do they need to know one of mine is ahead of time? (I'm planning on upgrading the TV soon, but haven't just yet.)

Murph

Ok, thanks guys. I'll call them now to make sure I'm getting what I expect to get, or at least have a good idea of what I'm getting.

The AM21 seems to make sense, too, for bad weather or to see the dot-2's on OTA. :)

Does anyone know how Direct installers hook up to non-video input compatible TV's? Do they need to know one of mine is ahead of time? (I'm planning on upgrading the TV soon, but haven't just yet.)

Murph

If you have a TV that does not have video inputs, (composite, component, or HDMI) you will not get an HD receiver. The H24 does not have s-video outputs or coax to connect to the TV. The HR24 has everything but coax. None of the HR series receivers have a coax output. You would have to connect through a VCR and use the coax connection on the VCR to send the signal to channel 3/4 on the TV or buy an RF modulator to do it.

Ok, thanks Bill.

Different information from the CSR I just spoke with. He claims the HR24 DVR is what I will get, and it does have the OTA Tuner built in as long as I have an OTA antenna, which I do. And he said the Non-DVR STB I'll be getting does have coaxial output for a SD TV.

Hope the CSR's right, or at least hope the installer can make it right!!! :) Find out in 48 hours.

Murph

Ok, thanks Bill.

Different information from the CSR I just spoke with. He claims the HR24 DVR is what I will get, and it does have the OTA Tuner built in as long as I have an OTA antenna, which I do. And he said the Non-DVR STB I'll be getting does have coaxial output for a SD TV.

Hope the CSR's right, or at least hope the installer can make it right!!! :) Find out in 48 hours.

Murph

HR24 does not have OTA. I have one, you need an AM-21 to make it work.

Ok, thanks Bill.

Murph

HR24 does not have OTA. I have one, you need an AM-21 to make it work.

Sorry Murph,
As Bill said they HR24 does NOT have a OTA tuner in it.

Strangely the rep I spoke with just told me that I cannot get a AM21 thru them IF they have locals available in my area, the system won't allow it.

Well, guess I'll have to call back on Wednesday and hope I get someone who knows a little more than the guy I talked to today! Will report back as I find out more on their install plans.

I also just made the jump for just about the same reasons.

Will DTV be able to mount the Sat Dish in the same spot as my Dish Net dish is? I would prefer to not have 2 dishes on my house

Installer is here now-- he's never heard of nor does he have the AM21, but he *is* putting in the RF modulator for the old TV.

Also, Loaf, they use a different size bracket, but he did take down the D.N. dish, reused the coax, and put the new DirecTV dish in the same general location as the old one. He said they leave the mounting plates to avoid roof leaks.

Install complete. Guy did a really nice job of cleaning up some of the Dish Network wiring mess. Dish had 4 wires from the dish itself, Direct only needed one, so he pulled the rest and trashed em.

The HR24 and H24 are both in. Anyone know why I'm not getting On Demand services on the H24? Is it not capable of that? If not, then what's the purpose of the ethernet port?

Picture looks great, as expected. Will play with it more in the next few days and offer up my opinion afterward. As of right now, kind feels like Christmas in June for this geek. :)

Murph

h24 does not get on demand only hd dvrs , 1 to talk to the mother ship and 2. MRV

Hmmm.. I hope they change or add to the software on that then-- seems like a wasted feature since it's running under Whole Home DVR. And isn't MRV via Ethernet a thing of the past with the 24 series?

It appears I can 'demand' something on the HR24, and then watch from the H24, just not 'Demand' it from the H24 initially. Seems like that would be an easy fix on via software.

So far, so good though! :) Just discovered DirectTV2PC... This could be fun. :) Does this work beyond the home network? Would be hella cool to not have to use my SlingBox. :)

Direct2PC has to be able to connect to your DVR to stream, so no its not a slingbox replacement....besides if it was, you know there would be a monthly fee :p

Murph74 said:
Hmmm.. I hope they change or add to the software on that then-- seems like a wasted feature since it's running under Whole Home DVR. And isn't MRV via Ethernet a thing of the past with the 24 series?

It appears I can 'demand' something on the HR24, and then watch from the H24, just not 'Demand' it from the H24 initially. Seems like that would be an easy fix on via software.

So far, so good though! :) Just discovered DirectTV2PC... This could be fun. :) Does this work beyond the home network? Would be hella cool to not have to use my SlingBox. :)

I don't have a need for that feature, but doing what you suggest and a feature where you can specify which DVR to record to when using multiple DVRs and mrv would be great.

You can't have ON DEMAND on an h24 because it doesn't have a hard drive to store anything. It isn't an easy fix via software. :haha

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)