Made the jump back. Any good sources for used equip?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dem372

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2005
I have taken the plunge and am coming back to Directv. But now I have a situation and a couple questions.

I didn't realize the whole home dvr did not work with a standard receiver. Consequently, I ordered a hd dvr, hd receiver, and standard receiver, for nothing out of pocket. But my wife flipped at the thought of spending $100 on another hd receiver when I told her we would need it.

So, I thought I would look into a used hd receiver for our bedroom tv.

But, is it easy to add an hd receiver to the whole home dvr after the initial installation?

And, is it risky to buy a used receiver because of the whole "lease vs owned" thing? Anything I can do to make sure what i buy is going to be ok?

And, last, is there a good source aside from ebay/craigslist for picking up used receivers at a good price? Any forums or discussion boards where things get sold?

Thanks!

A used receiver that meets the requirements for whole house DVRs is almost impossible to find. Most H2X and HR2X receivers are leased. You will need to get R00 numbers for any "USED" receiver you find, then call Directv to verify it is not leased and does not have any outstanding balance owed on it. Owned receivers will probably cost you more than the $100 lease upgrade fee.

Thanks for the reply.

I found an HR-21-100 for $75, and a HR20-700 for $50. The guy says he has verified with Directv that they are "clean" and ready to be activated. Any ideas if those are WH DVR capable?

A used receiver that meets the requirements for whole house DVRs is almost impossible to find. Most H2X and HR2X receivers are leased. You will need to get R00 numbers for any "USED" receiver you find, then call Directv to verify it is not leased and does not have any outstanding balance owed on it. Owned receivers will probably cost you more than the $100 lease upgrade fee.

Get the Roo#s and verify for yourself that they are owned and clear. Or you could just throw your money in the trash can.

Thanks for the reply.

I found an HR-21-100 for $75, and a HR20-700 for $50. The guy says he has verified with Directv that they are "clean" and ready to be activated. Any ideas if those are WH DVR capable?

Both of those receivers are MRV compatible, they have an ethernet port. They will need a DECA adapter installed to use the "supported" version of MRV (multi-room viewing) especially if the rest of your receivers are connected that way initially.

The HR21's are slow as molasses. Get the HR20-700. Older, but better, and it has built in OTA.

Don't take the sellers words for it. Call DirecTV with the receiver ID number and verify before you buy.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

How Does DTV Handle HD in a Whole Home Setup?

MRV question---># of programs record at once w/multiple rcvr's

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)