Magnavox MDR865H recording from Dish VIP 211

saea501

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2004
I can no longer record Dish to my DVD recorder to use as a time shift. I get some DRM message. Does anyone know if the Maggie DVR will record from the Dish? Just trying to avoid the ongoing DVR charge from Dish for using one of their DVRs.

I don't have any experience with the new HD recording box, but my Philips 3576 SD recorder still works fine.

Some channels like Premium movie channels (and I think Disney owned channels as well) have started enforcing DRM on their content. That's why I asked about specific channels.

I can no longer record Dish to my DVD recorder to use as a time shift. I get some DRM message. Does anyone know if the Maggie DVR will record from the Dish? Just trying to avoid the ongoing DVR charge from Dish for using one of their DVRs.

There is no ongoing DVR charge from DISH for using the 211 as a DVR.

The 211, at least my 211, doesn't have a DVR built into it. It's just a receiver.

The 211, at least my 211, doesn't have a DVR built into it. It's just a receiver.

This article, published in 2008, describes how your 211 is capable of being a DVR. http://www.hdtvok.com/2008/11/26/tu...ver-into-a-dvr-for-40-and-a-cheap-hard-drive/

I've been using my 211K as a DVR for several years. It's not as capable as a multi-tuner DVR receiver, but it's more capable than a DVD recorder. You just pay a one time fee of $40, then you have full DVR functionality for your 211. A good cheap hard drive, like the Western Digital My Book Essential will do quite nicely.

No shite........I did not know this. I'm surely going to look into this.

Thank you very much. You guys are the best.

Reactions: TheKrell
No shite........I did not know this. I'm surely going to look into this.

Thank you very much. You guys are the best.

You do need to use a self powered USB hard drive. The receiver does not do very well powering up your hard drive, although some have had success doing so.

Oops.......I may have spoken too soon. I have no USB port on my receiver.

So sorry......operator malfunction. I found it. It's sitting under the ethernet port so I missed it.

So, just out of curiosity, how are you recording HD content to the MDR865H from the 211? The MDR865H doesn't have component inputs, right?

I'm not. And no, the 865 doesn't and I really don't care when using it for time shift. The picture quality is fine in SD for this purpose. Curiously though, the 557 does have component.

Curiously though, the 557 does have component.
Not input. I still for some reason keep holding back on pulling the trigger on a Hauppauge. I guess my main drawback is figuring out how I'm going to set up a computer/laptop near my entertainment system.

exactly. While I understand its mainly for time shift the advantage of the hard drive is he should be able to copy to a recorder later if he desires.

This must be my confusion - what DVD recorder can record in HD using a HDMI input in the U.S.? Which begs the question how a DRM message was received recording with component. Do these units have DRM on the analog inputs?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)