Mailers always ripped to shreds upon receipt

P51-SN95

Original poster
Jan 3, 2012
NW PA
Anyone else have this issue? I've gotten about 5 - 6 movies in the mail so far and every single one of them but the first one I got, the mailer has been ripped wide open. The last 3 I had to tape back together and the last two had the self adhesive part totally gone.

When you go to report a problem there is an option for "I ruined the mailer and need a new one" or something like that, I wish there was an option for "mailer arrived destroyed"

Anyone else having problems like this?

I've received one or two (out of probably 60+) that have been partially open but not destroyed. All were totally usable to seal back up for the in-store exchange. I've never mailed one back with a store so close, I always do the exchange. The BB envelopes are not as high quality as the Netflix envelopes. However, I don't think anything that BB is doing is causing the damage since I never (rarely) have any to speak of. Sounds more like a postal service issue to me.

About half of mine come that way. The flap you are supposed to stick back on will be almost completely gone. I always just staple the bottom shut so the disk wont fall out. My local blockbuster is right next to my office so I always do in store exchanges anyways.

One of the blockbuster employees told me it was no big deal because they wait till they get a bunch of them and then ship them all back to the mailing center in a box not as individual mailers. I'm not sure how my stapled mailers would do if I were putting them in the mail myself.

Last edited:
I got one where the bottom was completely gone. Nothing other than luck kept the disc from coming out. Had to tape it for return.

Yeah, blockbuster should really think about switching to Netflix style mailers. It looks like they waste a little more paper but I had Netflix for a couple years before blockbuster and I never got a half opened/destroyed mailer from them. I have been using blockbuster by mail for a little over a year now and I have had 3 or 4 movies never show up. I'm guessing that happened because the mailers got so messed up the USPS didn't know what to do with them.

I have gotten Netflix mailers with completely ripped edges and nothing holding the DVD inside. I've only gotten one BB mailed DVD before I discovered I had lost my anniversary gift and got it back. The BB envelope was in good shape. The only difference seemed to be that it was blue rather than red and the DVD is centered rather than off to the extreme right. Aren't they both made from Tyvek?

I don't know what they are made from but the big flap on the blockbuster envelopes gets caught on stuff and rips open. I never had that problem with the Netflix envelopes. The part you rip off to open the envelope is completely different between the two providers and in my opinion the Netflix one works better. It's not a huge deal to me because I return them in store and I almost always still get my disks.

Mine arrive torn up somewhat frequently but the one I received today set a new record--it was even stamped by the post office as shipped damaged.:rolleyes: They actually sealed the torn bottom of the envelope up enough to keep the disc from falling out. Amazingly, the 3D Bluray appears to be undamaged. The mailers are really junk. When I send mine back I always seal up the perimeter with scotch tape to try to insure they get back ok.

Ed

Mine are always in bad shape. I have one next to me here where the bottom part that you rip off and peel off the thing is ripped halfway across. The part with the mailing label is still completely attached at the top, where it says to open it, but the part under the label is completely separated. Also, there's no peel off thing on the sticky part.

The Netflix envelope is far superior to the Blockbuster one. Maybe the reason these keep getting ripped is because the BB envelope holds the disc with the opening at the bottom, compared to the side with the Netflix envelope. I'd bet if BB changed the envelope to be more like the Netflix one, these things would be in much better shape. I mean, I could just throw the disc in a regular envelope and send it back to BB, and it would probably get there in better shape.

I have had the same movie sent back to Blockbuster by the post office twice! Once I received a little piece of the address label that was delivered. The second time I got an email thanking me for returning it while I was still waiting to receive it. It was the same movie both times! I have only ordered about a dozen movies so far so it is a high failure rate. "John"

Don't really get what the deal is with this. The rest of my mail survives the process but every BB envelope is torn to shreds.

THE USPS runs them through automated sorters. I'm sure that isn't kind to the disc mailer along with the fine employees that are charged with watching those machines. As someone once said on a CNN interview once defending big government, " where would people without the intelligence or means to attend higher education find work. "

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)