Major DIRECTV Outage?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I too was affected by this outage earlier today, I thought at first it was weather related on my end as this afternoon there was a major thunderstorm outbreak here in North Texas and it was raining very heavy at one point this morning/afternoon.

Sent from my RCT6773W22B using Tapatalk

You are missing what happened, it is a new ratings tool. They will keep the channels they received the most calls about, drop the rest.....

DirecTV, the largest satellite provider in the U.S., said Tuesday it was experiencing outages of several national channels.“We are aware of the outage involving several HD channels and some SD channels and are working to resolve it as quickly as possible,” a rep for the satcaster said. “We’ll share more information as it becomes available. We apologize to our customers for the inconvenience.”[UPDATE, 2:25 p.m. PT: A rep said DirecTV has restored all affected channels. The outages stemmed from technical issues on the ground, according to the spokesman, who declined to provide additional information. Earlier unconfirmed reports said the outages were caused by a “solar flare” that interrupted satellite signals.]The outages appear to have begun affecting satellite TV customers at around 10 a.m. Pacific. DirecTV, which is now owned by AT&T, issued a tweet about the technical problems at about 11:05 PT. DIRECTV Service ?@DIRECTVService
Multiple national channels are experiencing loss of audio and video. We’re working to restore your service. Thanks for your patience.
1:05 PM - 8 Mar 2016 http://finance.yahoo.com/news/direc...0aG5zBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw-- .......UPDATE 2-DirecTV says all channels restored after two-hour outage
15 Hours AgoReuters (Recasts with all channels restored)
March 8 (Reuters) - DirecTV, the satellite TV provider owned by No. 2 U.S. wireless carrier AT&T Inc, said all channels have been restored after experiencing loss of audio and video for at least two hours on Tuesday."All channels have been restored. We apologize for the inconvenience," AT&T spokesman Eric Ryan said in a statement.AT&T bought DirecTV for $48.5 billion last year, making it the world's No. 1 pay-TV operator with 45 million video subscribers, including Mexico and Latin America, at the end of 2015.http://www.cnbc.com/2016/03/08/reut...-channels-restored-after-two-hour-outage.html

Last edited:
DIRECTV is claiming that yesterdays issue was caused by a solar outage.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/directv-woes-caused-by-whats-called-sun-transit-outage-2016-03-08

Sorry I am NOT buying this one, normally solar outages last only a few minutes, and this was hours. If it was a solar outage DISH would have had the same issue. And many cable systems would have also had loss of channels for the solar outage period.

But just glad everything is back to normal.

It was due to Directv's "secret sauce". The bit that sets them apart from the rest of the crowd. :)

From what I vaguely remember from my C band days, the solar outages would occur about the same time for a couple of days and I could bump the dish right or left and still keep a bit of a signal. The old OnSat Magazine always had a warning of when they might occur. Had it been solar related I don't believe you would see anything related to DTV on the screen and if your tv is like mine it would have displayed "no signal". What I saw the other day was a black screen but the Info and Guide and List still worked. I never saw the don't call thing and it only lasted a little bit.

From what I vaguely remember from my C band days, the solar outages would occur about the same time for a couple of days and I could bump the dish right or left and still keep a bit of a signal. The old OnSat Magazine always had a warning of when they might occur. Had it been solar related I don't believe you would see anything related to DTV on the screen and if your tv is like mine it would have displayed "no signal". What I saw the other day was a black screen but the Info and Guide and List still worked. I never saw the don't call thing and it only lasted a little bit.
I took dealt with Solar Outages back in the day .... I don't think the small Sats are effected as bad with them ... that said, I think this issue was nothing to do with Solar anything, as you and others have mentioned, you wouldn't have the messages that were there if it was.

I think they were in around April and October (?).

Status
Please reply by conversation.