Malwarebytes memory usage lockup

camo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 11, 2010
Nebraska
They did a update last night that renders some computers useless. I just spent 2 hours on friends Win10 computer trying to uninstall. Memory usage was so bad locked computer to unusable. Ended up going into safe mode to uninstall. I was able to remove on windows 7 machine that had enough memory without using safe mode.
Solution from Malwarebytes has also been posted: IMPORTANT: Web Blocking / RAM Usage - Malwarebytes Labs.

That explains what happened to both my machines today. I used Mb-clean and reinstalled. I'll have to check the link to see what component version I have. Memory usage soared on both machines. All seems stable now.

Reactions: camo
Haven't had any issues yet. Just checked to make sure the version is 1.0.3803 or higher. Mine is actually on 1.0.3804.

Web protection was turned off on both machines. That and the high memory usage made it difficult to get control of the machine.

My friends machine with Win 10 had only 4-6 megs ram and machine was locked up where booting into safe mode was only solution. Win10 was a PITA getting into safe mode.

Glad I moved away from Malwarebytes, it was a great application up until version 3. I ran it up until this past October and on my laptop I would hear my fan kick into high gear and sound like a jet engine getting ready for lift off It was Malwarebytes using 100% of my Disk. Memory and CPU usage were relatively low but Malwarebytes would cause Disk usage to be pegged at 100% for 15-20 minutes at a time, at random times when updates or scans were NOT taking place either.

Another thing that had me worried is full system scans with Malwarebytes 3, whether done manually or automatically would take around a minute or so from start to finish. The previous version took considerably longer, and my Symantec Endpoint scans take around 10 minutes. Makes me wonder how much it's not scanning.

Interesting! Lost this whole weekend with a similar problem but I didn't think it was Malwarebytes. It's calling for an update but I didn't do it yet. I will hold off for now.

My problem was I wanted a cheap solution for Acrobat to edit PDF files. So I downloaded one from the internet and it did the same thing, locked up my computer I had to use safe mode to delete it. But remnants were still causing problems so I just did my clone drive backup. Even system restore did not help. Clone backup is a lengthy process so I don't do it often enough and when I need to restore, I have to redo things since last clone.

Anyone know of a good PDF file editor that isn't so expensive? Adobe Acrobat wants $240 a year to rent it. That's obscene!

Anyone know of a good PDF file editor that isn't so expensive? Adobe Acrobat wants $240 a year to rent it. That's obscene!

The 'software as a service' mentality SUCKS!

Acrobat is the only product Adobe still offers perpetual licences for. I buy ones-offs all the time at work. Acrobat Standard is $300 USD, Acrobat Pro is $450.

My predecessor ordered a couple copies of Nitro PDF, which I believe is $150, but some of my users prefer Acrobat.

Malwarebytes Premium version 3.0.6.1469 here. I just checked and I had it on auto updates.

I'm not so sure this is causing the slow down. Have you all set up your Resource Monitor in control panel to determine what is hogging your ram and CPU?

My CPU is running at 6% with M'Bytes monitoring, not scanning. The memory with Chrome and Outlook, AVG and M'Bytes running is about 3.6GB of the 8GB installed. The scan takes place at 4AM each day. The monitoring is on email and browsers 24/7.

I recognize many slam Malwarebytes, but what I see here is a before and after. Before I bought the product, I was getting harassed by constant popup adds in all my browsers. I use Chrome about 99% of the time but the worst was Firefox. Now with Malwarebytes monitor I never get a popup on any browser. I also run AVG antivirus too and do weekly full computer scans.
M'Bytes nails about 15 -20 adware attacks per day with each scan that they quarantined. I also have the AVG tuneup product and run it often to fix issues in the Registry file as well as keep many programs "asleep" until I need them. This adds performance as well.

My opinion is that my issue was not caused by M'bytes but likely it was the unknown freeware I installed.

The 'software as a service' mentality SUCKS!

Acrobat is the only product Adobe still offers perpetual licences for. I buy ones-offs all the time at work. Acrobat Standard is $300 USD, Acrobat Pro is $450.

My predecessor ordered a couple copies of Nitro PDF, which I believe is $150, but some of my users prefer Acrobat.

There is a cheaper way I've been using but it is convoluted. I purchased an adobe package called PDF Pack. It will export a pdf to MS word where you can edit it, and then import it from word back to a pdf file. But it does not edit the pdf file directly. I bought this last summer for a sale price of $5 a month. The one I tried was PDFelement which was what caused all my problems.

Lesson for Don- Read all the reviews before testing freeware.

My wife's computer had the issue. It was so slow and bogged down it wouldn't respond to anything. Went to safe mode and uninstalled mb then rebooted. It started normally and installed a fresh copy of MB. All is back to normal, thanks to this thread I would have never expected MB to be the problem. This has saved me a ton of headaches.

Reactions: camo
Anyone know of a good PDF file editor that isn't so expensive?
Can you not easily create new ones from scratch?

Do you need to be able to do forms or some of the more obscure PDF features?
Adobe Acrobat wants $240 a year to rent it. That's obscene!
Adobe is obscene. They survive more on buzz and inertia than performance.

PDFElement looks promising.

Finding a reputable third party application to convert PDF to DOC/DOCX may be a little tricky, but to convert anything to PDF is simple. Microsoft includes a PDF Printer in Windows 10, and then there’s always the well-established CutePDF Printer.

I’m later to the game then a lot of people here. Got my first PC in ’94 and started with WIN3.1, NT 3.5 and OS/2 Warp with Prodigy and Compuserve dialup, but never had much of a problem with viruses’, malware, spam, popups or any other the of hazards of computing. I tend to stick to software from well-known publishers. If I have to rely on another application to make the first application usable, I don’t want it. I refuse to use voodoo system maintenance and registry cleaners that do more harm than good. It’s not hard to keep PC running smoothly without voodoo software. Do a clean install of Windows, update it, only install software that you need. Both at home and at work, when messing around with new software from a developer besides Microsoft, Adobe, Autodesk, PTC and a few others I always do it is a sandboxed environment first, if I can. VMWare is an awesome utility.

Like so many other pieces of software, I think Malwarebytes is just too bloated now. I used to be a huge fan of Nero Burning Rom for media creation, but they added more and more functionality and it became so bloated, people complained and they came out with Nero Express, that just included core functionality. Fifteen years ago I swore by Zone Alarm Pro as a software firewall, but then they added more and more and it turned to crap. That's why I went with a centrally managed endpoint protection solution at home. I get to choose exactly what I want and what computers I want it on

Can you not easily create new ones from scratch?

Do you need to be able to do forms or some of the more obscure PDF features?Adobe is obscene. They survive more on buzz and inertia than performance.

PDFElement looks promising.

No, I just find it inconvenient when I have a PDF file and want to make notes on it for personal use. It's not a major concern, but I agree adobe is way over priced for the Acrobat Pro. I have Premiere Pro now and at $10.05 a month it is a bargain. But that competes with others that can't even do everything I need for $1000+ with all the plugins that comes with adobe.

Let me know if pdfelement works for you but test it on a computer you can afford to lose. It turned my years of trouble free computer into a nightmare of trouble.

OK I just completed testing of a different approach to the edit PDF game. It works like greased lightning!

I discovered I could get a Microsoft Office 365 for only $9.99 a month for 5 computers including Macs. In it includes Outlook 2016, Word, Excel, Power Point and a bunch of other stuff. It takes awhile to install but once installed, it works very well. I just took in a couple pdf files from external sources and made some changes to them adding graphics and text and removing a few things. Then I just saved the work to another file name.pdf. Then I tested the edited file in the free Adobe Acrobat reader and it loaded it with no trouble.
What doesn't work is if the pdf is locked with a password.

In my opinion, this latest Office 365 rental for 5 computers is a real bargain and it's from Microsoft, so not to worry, right?

No, I just find it inconvenient when I have a PDF file and want to make notes on it for personal use.
More than a couple of the free readers (including Adobe Reader IIRC) feature PDF comments and/or mark-up features if that's what you're really interested in. I'm a little dubious based on your other post.

If you need an office suite, Libre Office, as I mentioned earlier, will do a lot of the same things for free and it isn't a jungle to navigate like the ribbon-bound waste of screen real estate that Microsoft offers. I've found two very obscure features that it doesn't support and they both have appeared only on gubmint survey forms that could have been presented as PDF forms (one was an Excel multiple choice feature with drop-downs instead of radio buttons). The nice thing about the open source solutions is that they aren't necessarily laden with advertising and user profiling code as Office 365 is.

I was going through the setup for Windows 10 Professional last night and was surprised that there's a switch to turn off tracking. If you turn it off, the description changes to a notice that you won't receive any less advertising but what you do get will likely be less relevant. Big Brother is watching your every twitch.

I also managed to find a way through the registration process that doesn't involve setting up a Microsoft account to hold one's long-term tracking information.

I'm not overly concerned with Microsoft or Apple or Google or Amazon tracking what I do. More concerned with the government nosing around.

Simple computers are usually not a problem. My wife's iMAC has been trouble free for years. My surface Pro works great. I'm on my 3rd OS upgrade now and zero problems. But my big system is a little complicated. And now trying to configure a triple boot platform. Win10, win7 and a virtual machine on XP. These with backup clone drives, plus I have two PCIe cards for fast working storage and 4 4GB hard drives for archive storage. My unresolved problem now is between the win10 and win7 boot. When I switch, my archive hard drives all get corrupted on security ID's and require me to reset permissions. There have been several people trying to do the same thing but Mcrosoft support is of no help.

With the final demise of my Office computer that ran win 7, I've decided to migrate all the stuff to my Video edit computer with a win 7 hard drive. This will eventually be a single boot drive machine when I get the funds to build that i9-7980 system for VR editing. Hopefully later this summer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)