Surface pro 2 to target 8 hour battery life, more memory and storage

mike123abc

Too many cables
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 25, 2003
Norman, OK
http://www.dailytech.com/Surface+Pro+2+May+Target+8+Hour+Battery+Life+With+Haswell/article33311.htm

But the pivotal question remained what to do about the power-hungry Intel chip. It appears Intel has sold Microsoft on the idea of a Haswell brain for the Surface 2. A recent analysis by AnandTech showed Intel making serious power-efficiency gains with Haswell, with a projected battery life of 8 hours with a 42.5 Wh battery. Of course these numbers were based on Apple's OS X and iOS -- but they suggest that if Microsoft does its homework on the firmware front, their may be hope that the Surface Pro 2 fixes the abysmal battery life of its predecessor.

The Surface Pro 2 is also expected -- according to Neowin -- to pack a "refined" kickstand, improving on a popular feature in the first model. It's also expected to bump the memory to 8 GB. TechRadar reports that other Surface Pro 2 rumors point to NFC, wireless charging, an LTE variant, and 802.11ac Wi-Fi support.

If they can get decent performance and battery life I would consider it for a laptop replacement.

If they make the surface an intel processor and run full windows, does that mean they are giving up on windows RT?

For some people the LTE radio may be important but now with phones with LTE- Wifi hotspot I don't need it. Extra ram would be nice but so far the 4Gb I have on my Surface Pro is handling everything fine.

Battery life hasn't been an issue for me. Even when supplying power to a BluRay USB drive and running dual monitors I can watch for almost 3 hours on a charge. I hadn't used the Surface Pro in 10 days and just checked and the battery was only down to 97%. Pretty good standby drain, IMO.

Last edited: