Intel flaunts 8-core Extreme Edition Haswell with support for DDR4 memory

And accomplish nothing so much (marginally) faster.

I daresay there is very, very little in the business commercial world to efficiently make use of 8 cores.

Now modeling and weather prediction and such could, but in fact already use much more powerful machines.

Anyone see value in this beyond marketing?

The future speed of our basic computing machines (which may not be computers / laptops or even the cell phone as we see it today).

And accomplish nothing so much (marginally) faster.

I daresay there is very, very little in the business commercial world to efficiently make use of 8 cores.

Now modeling and weather prediction and such could, but in fact already use much more powerful machines.

Anyone see value in this beyond marketing?

Desktops or servers?

Big difference.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

This should make the folks at Dreamworks or Pixar happy. Their software can take advantage of multiple cores to distribute the rendering of images.

This would also make for a nice VM host server.

Oops, sorry, just saw this was i7-class machine, not Xeon. Never mind...

This should make the folks at Dreamworks or Pixar happy. Their software can take advantage of multiple cores to distribute the rendering of images.

This would also make for a nice VM host server.

Oops, sorry, just saw this was i7-class machine, not Xeon. Never mind...

Some of us do systems engineering and could easily put 8 cores to use for prototyping and a cheap lab setup.

In Theory, theory and practice are the same.

In Practice, they are not.

Not sure what your point is here.

My lab is production for others on the team. Being able to rum simulations and proofing on an 8 core desktop would be immeasurably valuable.

Companies are however loathe to buy the appropriate tools.

"Virtual" as opposed to actual hardware or "production" software. Just a dream. Got to run it with electrons first, "real world" later.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts