Essential Computer Repair Tools?

avg1joe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 27, 2006
Southern Maine
Imagine you have the opportunity to start a computer repair, refurbishing and recycling company that has a seemingly endless flow of donated used computers of various ages and working condition. You are given a budget to equip it but you don't know how much that budget will be. It will include you and a few employees. You need equipment. You need software.

1) Imagine you have a shoestring budget. What would you buy as basic necessary equipment to equip this shop? What is on your cheapskate list?

2) Now imagine you have a larger budget. What equipment would you add?

3) Finally is there anything that is crazy expensive that you would add if you had an unlimited budget?

Here a few things on my list:
Magnetic tip screwdrivers
Magnetic parts tray: http://www.harborfreight.com/4-inch-magnetic-parts-tray-90566.html#.UyjqkYUyvls
Large pill organizer for holding screws and organizing the order they were undone http://www.walmart.com/ip/Apex-7Day-MediPlanner-Pill-Organizer/14089470
Powerstrip/lcd monitor/keyboard/mouse/power cord setup for working on desktops
universal laptop adapter
Live linux disk for testing pcs without hard drives.
dban or killdisk
multimeter
power supply tester
soldering iron/solder/deskstop vice/solder sucker and a selection of capacitors

What am I missing?

The FIRST thing I'd buy is an electric screw/nut driver.
I was just reading posts on another forum about cordless drivers for computer work. There is an increased chance of stripped screws. Anyone have a cordless screwdriver that they really love? Lightweight with a clutch would probably be best.

I don't think I've ever heard of a small, lightweight one with a clutch. I suspect that might be a feature only on larger, more powerful ones. But I'd certainly be interested in such a thing.

First essential tool is a BFH,has the ability to solve hours of frustration instantly.:D
The best way to figure out what you need is to just start doing.You'll quickly find out what you need and will use.I have lots of tools I never,and have never,and probably never will use.

hard drive adapter,one with ide usb and sata connections,I have used mine plenty of times.Magnifying glass,high quality solder tool,to replace bad caps,multimeter,and a couple cartons of cigs and dr.pepper for breaks.:D

The best way to figure out what you need is to just start doing.
I've been doing this for years as my own small business but I've been hired by a company to do it on a larger scale. I'm looking for help filling in the gaps on things I've forgotten and ideas I haven't thought of. I'll keep posting here in case this list helps someone else someday. More stuff:

Heat gun for removing stickers.
Bread ties, the flat plastic ones, make excellent safe scrapers for removing stickers and thermal grease
Thermal grease
cr2032 batteries
Paper clips to open optical drives or jumper a power supply.
Flashlight for testing backlight issues
Air compressor?
kvm switch (I was just reading about this)
alcohol wipes

Last edited:
Lots of good ideas here.

Cans of freon for cooling components.
Small vacuum with micro tip.

With extra $$, add Microsoft Developer Network for the tools, and operating system images. Possibly a kernel debugger. You are going to find 20 software issues for each hardware one.

Blanket to protect lcd/tv screens while taking them apart. Also to get dv9000 and dv6000 computers working again.
Cutting pliers to trim capacitor tails.
3/16" socket for removing vga nuts.
Sharpie
needle nose pliers
safety goggles.

Last edited:
Corollary: Every project you do makes your toolbox at least one tool fuller :)

Which might explain why my hand tools toolbox is getting so heavy I am beginning to break it into two. One with specialized plumbing tools.

Are you mostly scrapping or refurbishing PCs?

If you are dealing in volume and with desktop PCs then a good hand truck or cart will be helpful. I used a decent sized air compressor from Harbor Freight when I had to process a lot of PCs. Setup a table outside and blow the dust out of them all. Saves huge $$$ versus canned air.

I used a decent sized air compressor
We will be scrapping and refurbishing. I'm considering an air compressor for blowing out computers and possibly to run some pneumatic screwdrivers. I'm concerned about employees blasting dust around and getting it in their eyes. It would be nice to have something to use during the winter indoors. I have mad scientist visions of one of these: http://www.laboratory-supply.net/gloveboxes/images/Mini Glovebox WithAccordion Sleeve.JPG with a compressed air wand to blast the dust and a vacuum port to suck the dust out of the air in the chamber. I'd have to build it myself since I don't want to spend thousands of dollars on one. Probably better to just go with eye protection goggles and take it outside.

Well, you COULD get a rig like carpenters use for inside work. Blow the guts under a hood that usually removes sawdust.

Be a bit careful with compressors. I have seen folks be too ambitious and blow components right off the board. Causing pins to break is fairly common if you aren't careful. And that is a pain to troubleshoot.

Depending on your volume of PCs you will want to look into becoming a Microsoft Authorized Refurbisher or Microsoft Registered Refurbisher. You can get legal copies of Windows 7 at a good discount. If your computers are going to low income people, schools or charities I believe the cost is below $10. I knew someone that was doing this several years ago and he was getting XP for around $5. The program has changed though after some people abused it so I'm not sure what kind of paperwork or proof is needed to get the discounts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)