1980s Computer Throwback

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Way before computers, there were serial terminals such as re-purposed teletype machines. 110 baud if memory serves!

You haven't lived until you've played Star Trek on a teletype. :D
The existence of pre-existing communications devices isn't disputed.

Equating a text version of a turn-based Star Trek game to BBS software is silly.

Equating a text version of a turn-based Star Trek game to BBS software is silly.
I am not equating the two! I was merely thinking about computing as it was in the 70's and particularly networking via acoustic modems and pathetically slow baud rates.

Reactions: Foxbat
They are the original internet connections for universities
I played Chess hosted on a university computer located in the U.K. via ARPAnet, the precursor to the original Internet, and no telephone handsets were involved. That was 1976 using a terminal in the EE department of Purdue University.

• Love
Reactions: FTA4PA and TheKrell
I played Chess hosted on a university computer located in the U.K. via ARPAnet, the precursor to the original Internet, and no telephone handsets were involved. That was 1976 using a terminal in the EE department of Purdue University.

I know..no handsets involved..for the mainframes..PDN used modems

Reactions: TheKrell
You got me; I can't up you on that one!

You might know it by x.25 or x.75 connections in the ancient days

They are the original internet connections for universities
Personal computers or home computers were not the original tool. This was especially true of the Vic-20 with its 22 column text mode.

Long before the Vic-20 and Apple ][ were CRT-based terminals from Hazeltine, Televideo and teletypes like the ubiquitous Teletype Model 33.

1646322459203.png

You need to think much harder about what you claim because it just isn't making any sense from a logical or historical perspective.

Personal computers or home computers were not the original tool. This was especially true of the Vic-20 with its 22 column text mode.

Long before the Vic-20 and Apple ][ were CRT-based terminals from Hazeltine, Televideo and teletypes like the ubiquitous Teletype Model 33.

View attachment 155987

You need to think much harder about what you claim because it just isn't making any sense from a logical or historical perspective.
You lost me...i was talking how the original Internet connected all the mainframes back in the 70s..no fiber existed..

You lost me...i was talking how the original Internet connected all the mainframes back in the 70s..no fiber existed..
Nobody said that ARPANET started life on fiber. Your's is the first mention of fiber (and ARPANET) which doesn't have anything to do with dialup which is what the Vic20 could do nor was it a requirement for Usenet (an early example of social media).

I'm talking about offering up Wargames or Wierd Science as examples of the state of computer telecommunications in their day.
No
I was talking about reality
Neither of those films had punch card computers..lol

You are too young to remember life before the internet

Yup; we used those hooked up to a PDP-20 with CORE memory and a ridiculously dinky disk of a capacity I no longer remember. And that PDP-20 didn't boot off disk! We toggled in the bootstrap loader using the front panel, and "dos" was read in via that stupid paper tape reader on the side. :eeek

Reactions: Foxbat and navychop
I was working with punch cards on a 60 bit mainframe
Ah yes. Must have been a CDC something or other. I used one of those as well to analyze data off my 50 reel-to-reel magtapes. I had to get a genius who knew that CDC to write me an assembler program to convert my 32- and 64-bit floating point words to that odd 60 bit word size. And it was big endian, too, whereas the PDP-20 was little endian like a PC and ARM.

Yup; we used those hooked up to a PDP-20 with CORE memory and a ridiculously dinky disk of a capacity I no longer remember.
I'm betting you're actually thinking of a PDP-8. The PDP-20 was relabeled as the DECStation 20 before release.

I used a PDP-8/L with 4K of RAM in high school. It didn't have any disk capacity at all. Everything was stored in RAM and when it was turned off, everything was lost.
And that PDP-20 didn't boot off disk! We toggled in the bootstrap loader using the front panel, and "dos" was read in via that stupid paper tape reader on the side. :eeek
This is my memory of the PDP-8. One of my classmates could actually paddle in the bootstrap from memory!

The last time I saw a PDP-8/L, it was part of an retired scoreboard setup in a university's main gym ("Slats" Gill Coliseum at Oregon State University).

1646331138728.png

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts