Man-ny! Man-ny!

AntAltMike

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 28, 2005
Updated: September 20, 2011, 7:01 PM ET
Manny Ramirez to play in Dominican

Associated Press

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic -- Former World Series MVP Manny Ramirez, who retired in April after testing positive for a performance-enhancing drug, hopes to play for a winter league team in his Caribbean homeland.

Winston Llenas, president of the Cibao Eagles, a winter league team in the northern Dominican Republic for whom Ramirez played in 1993-94, told The Associated Press during a Tuesday phone interview that Ramirez is expected to start training with his former team next week....

Ramirez retired in April after he tested positive for a performance-enhancing substance while with the Tampa Bay Rays. Rather than face a 100-game suspension for a second violation of Major League Baseball's drug policy, the 12-time All-Star left the game.

Ramirez previously served a 50-game ban in 2009 with the Los Angeles Dodgers.

His first positive test -- for human chorionic gonadotropin, a banned female fertility drug often used to help mask steroid use -- would not prevent him from playing in the Dominican Republic....

Not surprised. He wants to play and he will anyway he can. I doubt there is any dope testing in the winter leagues....or at least I have not heard of any.

Poor Manny...

Manny Ramirez will have to scuttle existing plans to play for a team in the Dominican Republic because his Major League Baseball-mandated drug suspension still has to be served, a source close to the situation told ESPN's Colleen Dominguez.

An MLB official confirmed that since Ramirez has unresolved MLB drug-program violations and the Dominican winter league is affiliated with MLB, commissioner Bud Selig's office considers him ineligible to play in the league.

If the former World Series MVP wants to play ball again, the source said, he would have to play for an independent league club unaffiliated with MLB.

Source -- Manny Ramirez ineligible to join Dominican winter league team - ESPN

...and just when you thought it was over...

Updated: September 22, 2011, 4:43 PM ET

Manny Ramirez seeks reinstatement

ESPN.com news services

Manny Ramirez, upon learning he will not be able to play winter ball in the Dominican Republic because he's on MLB's inactive list, told ESPNdeportes.com Thursday that he will formally request reinstatement.

Ramirez said that upon reentry, he would serve his 100-game suspension for a second violation of MLB's drug policy.

"I would comply with my pending sanction and I would be available for any major league team," Ramirez told ESPNdeportes.com's Enrique Rojas via telephone from Miami. "I already informed (agent) Scott Boras of my decision to return and begin the process.

"If any team wants to sign me, I would play. If no one does, I would look to play in Japan or any other place. I was not prepared for retirement."

Ramirez cannot serve his suspension until he signs with a major league club.

Manny Ramirez says he is seeking reinstatement, will serve 100-game suspension - ESPN

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)