OTHER Manhattan DJ-1997

RT-Cat

"My person-well trained"
Original poster
May 30, 2011
Cold, Cold,Michigan USA
Interesting and odd problem with a new DJ-1997. With the position numbers set in the Gbox and the same numbers stored in the Manhattan, one would think it should move to the sat you have picked. Well, it does about 1/3 of the time. Most of the time when changing satellites I have to grab the Gbox remote and enter the satellite number and the dish moves. Anyone know what might be wrong as to why it does not move the dish every time?

Do you have a short jumper straight from the receiver to the vbox?
I have seen this happen with switches and/or splitters in-line coupled with a receiver that puts out a week DiSEqC signal.
...or same instance but the controller(vbox) in your case not coupled properly to strip the commands off the coax.
Also can happen on long jumpers. Say you have the receiver in the LR and the vbox is at the other end of the house in a bedroom.

Yes, FA, the motor control is enabled and set to diseqc 2.1 where the motor position numbers are stored.
Interesting about the length of cable. If that is the problem, this will be the first receiver that was weak and needed to be close. I do have about 11 feet of coax from receiver to Gbox. I hate to move them from current location, but box would be the least problem. I will give that a test on Wednesday and see if it fixes the problem.
Thanks

11 feet of coax would not be a problem, unless that 11 feet is crappy and ragged. ;)
There has got to be something else going on here. Sometimes this problem can also be firmware related, but not heard of anyone else having this issue with the 1997.
What firmware version is in the box? Does it have a date is it a newer firmware? I don't know when the last firmware was released for that box?
You said it was new. Where did you purchase from? Give the seller a call and ask about it and tell them what is going on.
Sometimes a box gets spit out with a cold solder joint or something. Like I have said I have not heard of this with this box before.

Naw, coax is in great shape. I was thinking about this also because it sends commands 115 feet out to the 8 position diseqc at the big dish. If it was too weak to get 11 feet, it should not get 115 feet. ?? I have something recording right now so I will look up the software version on Wednesday. I got it from Casey at Hypermegasat. I would hate to call and state "I have another bad one." The first one had a fit and died after about 4 hours of operation.

I moved the GBox over next to the Manhattan and it made no difference in sending "position number commands" to the GBox. It is still up to the Manhattan if it "wants" to move the dish or not. I guess I will just get set to the idea that I will need the GBox remote handy to move the dish now and then.
Info requested:
Model ID:31 Ver. 11.02
SW Ver. 1.01 r25194 Trunk
Date: Jan 14, 2016, 20:07:39
Description: Manhattan
As for software upgrades, I really don't like to do them until the warranty is off. If it "bricks" during warranty, you are out of luck.

There was a similar issue came up when the microHD came out. Unresponsive VBoxes, turns out to be a weird effect of using a WSI C/Ku LNBF with a built in switch. It was that built in 22KHZ switch that caused the VBox to be almost deaf to DiSEqC from the microHD. If you used a different tone switch instead of the built in one there was no problem. Try and eliminate as many switches as possible and go straight to the LNB.

I only have on DiSEqC out in a box on the post for the C- Band dish. Position 1 runs the big dish all the others ones go to fixed dishes. It is an 8 port switch.
I guess I could go out to the box and remove the switch and go directly to the big dish and see what happens. Have to go to a "part time" "handy man" job this afternoon. If not raining when I get home I could try.

Do you notice if the movement errors occur when selecting a vertical transponder on the new target satellite or it happens on both horizontal and vertical transponders?

Do you have a scope? The 22Khz/DiSEqC signal should measure approximately 600mV PP and maintain proper waveform under various loads and at 13 and 18Vdc polarity voltages.

Some STBs excel at providing these control signals with proper amplitude and shape, while others do not. Often, the STB PCB components typical specification provide the correct signal, but specification and production variables often provide a less compatible signal.

The most common problem with 22Khz/DiSEqC control is the strength of the signal. This is often set below protocol at the factory or becomes weak with 13Vdc LNB polarity voltage or fails to maintain amplitude or shape under load.

For Magic Static I removed the switch out at the dish so it was direct from Manhattan to GBox to dish and it made no difference.
Titanium: No scope here. H or V makes no difference. I guess I just have a weak one here and need to use the GBox remote most of the time. It is a tad bit of an inconvenience but at least I don't have go walk out to the dish and crank it into position.:rolleyes:
Too bad I did not buy two Nano's way back, then I would have something to fall back on that worked without any problems.

Some one suggested I write a review on this Manhattan DJ-1997 receiver once I get it all set up and running. Well, since the first one died in 6 hours and this one can not run a GBox AND after what it just did, the review would not be very good. I changed from 101 to 103 to watch ION. The TV screen went black and the unit restarted. The only problem with that is IT RESET ITSELF BACK TO FACTORY! Nine hours of setting this pile of crap up is gone. I got out my back up and found it only had about three hours of set up on it. Not sure if I want to waste any more time on this pile of junk or just get the old X2 working again.
So when it comes to "Would I recommend the Manhattan DJ-1997 to a friend." I would say HELL NO!:mad:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)