MANY HD CHANNELS GONE ON 72 WEST?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
WRAL begins broadcasting in next-gen TV technology :: WRAL.com

My local NBC station, not that anyone is watching it in UHD yet.
If you read the link they aren't broadcasting in 4k they had one broadcast in 4k. That's a huge difference. In addition the article says 3.0 and thus 4k is more than a year away and most will tell you a minimum of two with a lot of stations nowhere near able to make the change sooner than that.
Also a question comes to mind who in the general public was able to receive that 3.0 transmission? It was a good test of their equipment.

If you read the link they aren't broadcasting in 4k they had one broadcast in 4k. That's a huge difference. In addition the article says 3.0 and thus 4k is more than a year away and most will tell you a minimum of two with a lot of stations nowhere near able to make the change sooner than that.
Also a question comes to mind who in the general public was able to receive that 3.0 transmission? It was a good test of their equipment.

They are broadcasting their news in UHD...if you read the article.

I hope all MPVDs and Networks realize investing in 4K is pointless, since there is little or no difference (not to mention compression) to 1080i unless you have a 65" or bigger TV.

Granted, on resolution. But WCG and HDR makes the difference.

"8K" will never matter for home use, because the resolution will not be detectable, and any improvement in WCG will also be nearly imperceptible. And J6P will NOT fall for the numbers game. And I doubt theaters will buy into it either.

And I suspect J6P will not see a benefit in "better" UHD or "4K" TVs, but that's about all that will be available, in LR sizes.

Yeah, force the consumer to buy all new equipment again so broadcasters can sell you additional content and services.
They don't have to be forced. Just dangle the latest technological carrot and people will part with their money, whether they have it or not. LED, Smart, 3D, curved, UHD

Reactions: charlesrshell
They don't have to be forced. Just dangle the latest technological carrot and people will part with their money, whether they have it or not. LED, Smart, 3D, curved, UHD
If I recall correctly, the government had to step in and subsidize ATSC tuners so that people would switch to the new standard. I wonder how many are still using their ATSC tuner boxes on tube TV sets.
NTIA: Digital TV Transition and Public Safety

Reactions: pattykay
My Vizio TV doesn't have a OTA tuner at all. It depends on a separate box for locals. That box could be a Comcast, Dish, DirectTV, or an OTA receiver. When the time comes, I will simply purchase an ATSC 3.0 receiver and I'll get all the goodies.... When the repack finishes in May 2020 or so, most if not all, stations will have converted to 3.0 because most stations will be sharing frequencies with other stations.

Will the Olympic Channel be part of the Sports Package like Universal Sports? Directv has it on an Elevated Channel Package. We will know soon, hopefully, how Dish will do it.
Is Dish still planning to add the Olympic Channel to their lineup. I have not seen it uplinked. I didn't know if it was put on hold with the Hurricane in Houston and flooding in the Houston suburbs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)