mark cuban

I've seen some other posts where Mark Cuban has stated he won't sell his broadcasting to Voom. The way he does things, maybe he will buy Voom. I believe he's right about the future of HD. With the FCC mandate to broadcast in HD by 2006, people are going to be buying HD capable TV's. The forward thinkers are already there, and hungry for content.

If you go into a retail store and look at the HD merchandise, it is far better than SD. Price is what holds people back, and prices are coming down. With a drop in price for the initial equipment outlay, more and more people will replace their older sets with HD capable equipment, and look for the service with the most HD content. Cuban is a young guy who sees the future well.

The more HD I see, the less I want to watch SD. You start looking in the guide for the HD stuff. Most of my friends have digital cable, and say it's 'good enough'. But when you think about replacing a busted or broken down older TV, and you know that HD is on the way by 2006, you have to consider HD capable. Voom and Mr. Cuban are the early innovators who are going to cash in big time in the next two years.

I read a post at avsforum in which an employee of HDnet stated that Cuban had never said that "HDnet will never be on VOOM". Right now, the feud between Cablevision and HDnet has kept VOOM hostage to negotiate with HDnet. It is safe to assume that you will not see HDnet on VOOM until there's an agreement with Cablevision. Until the spin-off of VOOM that will be the case.

Hey, Stone Man, I believe what is mandated by the...

goverment is that by the end of 2006 all TV stations broadcast digitally which unfortunately does not mean in HD. Darn.

Under partly cloudy Seattle skies, Gill

I stated once that I saw cuban say that in an email someone posted in a forum where Cuban was participating in. I remember fixating on the never part and getting this terrible feeling. I remember the users discussing various reasons why HDnet would not come to voom. Like the concert channel voom already has or the cinema10 channel, and the Rush channel. All programming very much like HDnet. But more recently on AVS an HDnet employee denies he ever wrote or said that. Personally what difference does it make? It seems to me, maybe its just a feeling I get from that employee that HDnet may just very well come to voom. And that would be awesome. The best quality HD on the best service!! IMHO

~The Stone Man~"I've seen some other posts where Mark Cuban has stated he won't sell his broadcasting to Voom. The way he does things, maybe he will buy Voom. I believe he's right about the future of HD. With the FCC mandate to broadcast in HD by 2006, people are going to be buying HD capable TV's. The forward thinkers are already there, and hungry for content."
~This fact is untrue, there is NO mandate to broadcast in HD for any point in time set by the government. No station must broadcast an HD signal if they don't want to. The mandate ONLY applies to OTA (network) stations to broadcast in at least 480p (SD digital) by the last month of 2006. Futhermore it does in no way effect the cable systems, they can broadcast in analog for long as they want. But they will start going 100% digital in 2-4 years because you can fit 3 digital channels into 1 analog channel's bandwith on cable. so for them is = more channels, better quality. :)

Stupid question. InHD. This is a station set-up by Comcast and Cox? Is it a pay-per-view station, or is it that channel that shows college hockey in HD all the time? My Cox svc used to have a couple of bunk HD stations, and I think they weren't PPV. Is HDNET just the same thing?

cyuhnke said:
Stupid question. InHD. This is a station set-up by Comcast and Cox? Is it a pay-per-view station, or is it that channel that shows college hockey in HD all the time? My Cox svc used to have a couple of bunk HD stations, and I think they weren't PPV. Is HDNET just the same thing?
it is not PPV. It was created by the cable companies as a "cuban" killer. Their solution to hdnet. It shows hockey like hdnet does and similar material.

mini1 said:
~The Stone Man~"I've seen some other posts where Mark Cuban has stated he won't sell his broadcasting to Voom. The way he does things, maybe he will buy Voom. I believe he's right about the future of HD. With the FCC mandate to broadcast in HD by 2006, people are going to be buying HD capable TV's. The forward thinkers are already there, and hungry for content."
~This fact is untrue, there is NO mandate to broadcast in HD for any point in time set by the government. No station must broadcast an HD signal if they don't want to. The mandate ONLY applies to OTA (network) stations to broadcast in at least 480p (SD digital) by the last month of 2006. Futhermore it does in no way effect the cable systems, they can broadcast in analog for long as they want. But they will start going 100% digital in 2-4 years because you can fit 3 digital channels into 1 analog channel's bandwith on cable. so for them is = more channels, better quality. :)
There is no HD mandate for 2006

INHD is in many ways much better than the HDNETS for the vararity of programming it offers, and both channels have something different and neither only shows movies. INHD's feed can be purchased by any satellite company that steps forward to make a deal, they are not just for cable only.

mini1 said:
INHD is in many ways much better than the HDNETS for the vararity of programming it offers, and both channels have something different and neither only shows movies. INHD's feed can be purchased by any satellite company that steps forward to make a deal, they are not just for cable only.
cool. Id settle for either, but Ive watched hdnet and I know the owner will live up to the highest standard. So Id prefer hdnet.

HOLY COW. I thought (perhaps wishful thinking) that the FCC thing was for HD. Don't tell my wife because that was the reason I got into HD in the first place.

The Stone Man said:
HOLY COW. I thought (perhaps wishful thinking) that the FCC thing was for HD. Don't tell my wife because that was the reason I got into HD in the first place.
Let me further dash your hopes. The 2006 date is only if 85% of the public can see/use/get a digital signal. Or something like that.

And even more bad news...lol. Most stations will only do material in Hd or increase it when they can make money from it. Which means when more HD sets are sold. the money maker now is still analog (advertisement dollars) Some will only go HD when its the only revenue source and that may be seen by our children but not us. There will certainly be manyyyyyyyy years of SD in between.

The wife thought it was a good reason to get a nice plasma TV. Now she will never go back to standard television. She's a good woman to put up with a bonehead husband like me, but we're enjoyng the TV together, and that's good.

Probably not for very long. I'll have to have a good line to use if that happens. Undoubtedly, there will be something in LCD that is the latest and greatest.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)