Mars Curiosity Rover News Briefing (7 minutes of terror)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Fizbi

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 16, 2008
Wild and Windy Casper, WY
Since I only have an antique receiver (CoolSat 5000) I won't be able to tune in directly to NASA for the latest Mars Curiosity Rover updates.

Anyone know if it will be carried on another channel or satellite feed? If I recall, sometimes NASA feeds (or someone) will carry the news on another Ku transponder. I'd sure like to watch all the updates during the 7 minutes of landing terror. It's fun to watch the scientists chew off their fingernails while they wait to see if the lander survives the Mars approach and landing.

Since I only have an antique receiver (CoolSat 5000) I won't be able to tune in directly to NASA for the latest Mars Curiosity Rover updates.

isnt one of the stations still on C-Band in SD? Or do you not have a C-Band dish?

When will this be airing?

I read somewhere that one of the Mars observation satellites that beams back the signals to Earth may be out of position for a period of time, so they may have to wait longer than 7 minutes.

Should be an interesting feed to follow :) ...

In the early morning hours of Sunday/Monday Aug 6 I would think that NASA would be carrying the Mars Curiosity Landing live via JPL Labs on Sat 105.0W - there are 3 NASA Channels there. Also for the Phoenix Mars Lander a couple of years ago I think CNN carried it live. Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I'm covered. I don't have a C band dish yet, but someday.
I love the Mars rovers. The landings are fun to watch.

Fizbi , you'll enjoy a c-band dish. If no other reason, I'd have to get one for NASA. If I didn't already have 3 of them lol.

This unique landing is a no-miss for viewers. If a landing is ever going to fail, this could be the one due to its complex new approach. Sure to be on satellite. If not, catch it on NASA or Ustream on the Internet.

Note that NASA has positioned the Mars Odyssey to try and capture images of the new rover as it makes its approach and landing. Like the last landing, they caught images of the parachute opening and heat shield separation. Friggn' cool stuff.

As for the C band dish, I been trying to sweet talk a used one off of a friend who has yet to reply to my request. I may just have to purchase one from one of the FTA Guys sponsors.

US Mars Curiosity Lander Touchdown on the Mars Surface - Great Coverage re NASA on 105.0W Tonight

Watched the Curiosiry Mars Lander Mars Science Lab (MSL) landing coverage & amazing Pictures from Odyssey Orbiter of Curiosity down on the Mars Surface on NASA HD Channels tonight on 105.0W on C Band. Step By Step Jet Propulsion Lab (JPL) Coverage was excellent - great stuff - congratulations America this should be Great for world Science!!

Watched until about 1:15 AM CDT, quite a celebration in the command center when touchdown was confirmed and the first pics appeared.

Amazing mission so far!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)