Marvelous E* phone tech

Racehorse

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Dec 27, 2006
To lead into this praising of the marvelous tech with whom I spent 20minutes or so on the phone today I want to say that this is the best, most helpful, considerate, polite, knowledgable and concise techie I've ever dealt with on the phone OR in person.

this lady was SUPER.... knew her business and conveyed a GREAT attitude of helpfulness on the phone.

I am very new to satellite tv .... less than two weeks and I've been hoping that I had no need to deal with tech support. The installer did exactally what he was requested to do --- he put up (in some snow conditions) the 500 dish on the peak of the eave of our one and a half story house (and it is a very steep pitch, also) -- he wired and installed two(2) 522 receivers and left me some 80 ft of co-ax to hook up the two remote tvs.

The reason I didn't have him go ahead and install the remote tvs was that my sweet wife of 44yr of marriage hadn't made up her mind WHERE these remotes were going to be located ....... and anyone who has been married for more than a few weeks knows who makes these kind of decisions.... GGGGG.
We've had cable and over the years, I've strung co-ax and splitters all over the place ... floored a goodly portion of the unheated attic in several areas, so I knew most of my cable co-ax was going to be useless for satellite.

I had no doubt of my ablitiy to get the co-ax to wheresoever my lil dariling wished it to be.

She decided one remote tv needed to be in the kitchen under the wall cabinets .... fine .... I got this done with a minimum of difficulty ... hole in the wall behind one 522 into storage room .. pulled it down a pvc conduit in the storage room into the garage .... the conduit I'd used for adding three 220ac circuits into the kitchen during a recent remod ... drilled into the garage wall into the kitchen underneath the wall cabinets .... even added a phone line so she'd have a phone handy in that section of countertop.
Worked very nicely and she was happy ... and whe she is happy, I'm happy.

Next I was told to run the remote from the other 522 into the master bedroom ..... fine ..... I fished co-ax into the attic ... over the top of the ceilings of the three rooms upstairs ... down into the ceiling of the masterbedroom closet and through the wall into the bedroom .... hooked up the remote tv and ........... UH OH .... got a single channel BUT couldn't change it ... .... NO blue light on the 522 .. remote has NO effect .. can't change the channel .... just one channel .. what the hell
Unhooked that tv from the entertainment center in the br .... carried it into the room where the 522 was ... ran ten feet of co-ax ... hooked it up .. same deal .. EXCEPT it was a different channel .... again .. no blue light on the 522 ...what the hell......

Went to one of the kids br (they're grown and gone from home) ... took that tv and went to the ten ft co-ax connection and same deal .... EXCEPT it was yet another channel .... no blue light on the 522 ... couldn't change THAT channel either ....

OK .... tech help time ...
called E*
after punching in the required info onto the phone line comes this verrrrrry pleasant sounding voice ....

she had me do all kinds of remote button pushing, explaing what she was having me do in a great detail ..... said it really was a strange happenstance, but that "we" were going to make it work ....

and by golly she DID .....

I thanked her profusely and just wanted to come here and post what a GREATexperience I had with THAT marvelous tech person on E* ...

As I've been dealing with computers, burgular alarms, and other electronics for many years and have been on the phone with hundreds of techies in those years I will say that THIS lady was the absolute BEST with whom I've EVER dealt .....

Van

SatelliteGuys Master
Jul 8, 2004
Virginia Beach
Its always nice to get a good csr on the phone, its even nicer when they follow through with promises to. Its also nice when an installer is blessed with a customer such as yourself who knows what to do when it comes to running cables and hooking up devices, all to often I would get a self proclaimed expert who once ran a cable across the basement to the man cave tv. :D

Racehorse

Dec 27, 2006
here are a couple of answers

conduit ---- should've stated it better ... as I am great at "doing what I'm told by the head of the houselhold" there is always a bit of remod work going on in the house.
The origninal master circuit breaker box was going to be too small imo to handle the stuff I was going to do a few years back. SO, thinking ahead I added the first secondary circuit box on the other side of the wall ... needing only a drill through the brick and into it....that was to add on a greenhouse/hot tub/breakfast area.
A few years later came the MAJOR kit remod .... ok ... I decided that "the boss lady" just might come up with a few more ideas that needed more electricity/cable/phone/computer/ and who knows what else I wanted to hide/secure the wires inside some type of "conduit" .... so I simply used 3" pvc with three 3/4in pvc inside ... not difficult and got no objections from the boss as to asthetics (she said it was in the garage/storage).
So, the low voltage isn't exactally in the same conduit ..... but thanks VERY much for pointing out the danger of doing it with the wires touching.

the ACTUAL problem ...
the nice lady CSR said she wasn't sure what caused the sporadic channel display, and that she'd not see such a display before ... and that we had tried so many changes at the same time that she wasn't sure what "fixed it" or even what it was ... and to tell the truth, I didn't care just as long as WE fixed it ....

have another question about the use of diplexers and dual receiver capabilities BUT I'll make another thread ...

as I said ... this fourm is great and thanks for the postings.

Racehorse

Dec 27, 2006
Vince ... no, it wasn't a single/dual difficulty ...

what made it really strange to me, and a bit odd to her, was the blue light (signify TV2 ) on the reciever would NOT come on ... even though I was picking up a single random channel output ....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)