Matt Groening ends Life in Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

yaz96

Baby, It's Cold Outside
Original poster
Dec 22, 2005
Front Range, Colorado
I actually hit on to this in the early 90's way before the Simpsons and have some of the books. Sad to see they're going away, it was good obversations of life.

http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/...ator-matt-groening-to-end-life-in-hell-comic/

‘Simpsons’ creator Matt Groening ends ‘Life in Hell,’ comic that started it all

by Rob Tornoe
Published June 20, 2012 7:48 am
Updated June 20, 2012 8:03 am
After exploring a world populated by “anthropomorphic rabbits and a pair of gay lovers” for over 30 years, “Simpsons” creator Matt Groening is putting down his pen and ending his highly acclaimed comic strip, “Life in Hell.”

The last “Life in Hell,” Groening’s 1,669th strip, was released on Friday, June 15. For the next four weeks, editors will have their choice of strips from Groening’s extensive archive before they close up shop in July on Friday the 13, which seems oddly appropriate.

“I’ve had great fun, in a Sisyphean kind of way, but the time has come to let Binky and Sheba and Bongo and Akbar and Jeff take some time off,” Groening, 58, said by email.

“It’s hard to imagine how the business model that sustained alternative social-commentary and political cartooning for two decades (and is now all but dead) would have evolved had papers not discovered the power of Groening’s strip and its ability to attract readers,” said syndicated cartoonist Ted Rall by phone.

The popularity of “Life in Hell” opened a path for a new breed of alternative cartoonists to appear in alt-weeklies across the country, cartoonists like Tom Tomorrow, Ruben Bolling, Ward Sutton, Keith Knight and Rall. It also showcased the power of sharp, biting cartoons to editors looking to attain and grow a new group of readers.

“Groening is modern cartooning’s rock God, a Moses who came down from the mountain (or the East Village office of the Voice) and handed us the rules we followed,” said Rall.

“Life in Hell”‘s newspaper count has dwindled over the years as cutbacks and consolidation forced out many features. Syndicated by Acme Features Syndicate, which Groening created, the strip hit a peak of nearly 380 papers in the early 1990s. In recent years, the strip appeared in less than 40.

One high-profile cancellation came from LA Weekly, which removed the strip back in 2009 due to budget cuts. Pandora Young, an editor for Mediabistro’s FishbowlLA (and a former LA Weekly staffer), was incensed by the news.

“Groening has been good to the Weekly over the years — making himself available to the staff for interviews, illustrating covers for the Weekly for the paper’s small standard fee despite his enormous success, and continuing to read the paper itself,” Young wrote when she found out.

“Dropping the cartoon seems incredibly short-sighted, so it’s probably safe to assume it was a decision made by the corporate offices in Phoenix.”

“Life in Hell” actually earned Groening his big break in Hollywood. It started running in Wet Magazine in 1978, then moved to the now-defunct LA Reader, where Groening worked. The strip eventually made its way to LA Weekly. Its popularity grew, amassing a client list of more than 250 papers, when producer Polly Platt noticed “Life in Hell” and showed it to actor/producer James L. Brooks.

Brooks contacted Groening and wanted him to develop a series of “bumpers” based on “Life in Hell” for “The Tracey Ullman Show.” Groening was a bit apprehensive at the thought of handing over the rights to his characters, so he created the Simpsons to fill the slot.

For Sondra Gatewood, who has handled syndication duties for Groening over the years, the end of “Life in Hell” is bittersweet.

“It’s been a delight working for Matt Groening for the past 24 years, and the ending of ‘Life in Hell’ leaves me with mixed and melancholic feelings,” said Gatewood by phone.

“I’ve thought about comic strips every day for the past 24 years. How does it get any better than that?”

life-in-hell.jpg

Well, that does a lot to explain that last strip. I saw it in the local free paper. I will miss Life in Hell.

Wow he was still doing that this whole time? I thought he stopped doing it once the Simpsons took off. Weird. Honestly I'm shocked comics are still out there now. I mean I used to read them when I was a kid, but how many people nowadays are reading them, let alone even reading a newspaper?

It hasn't been good for 5 years.

I disagree with that. It is still good. My theory on that is that back in the day it was "cutting edge and shocking". Today we have become more desensitized and not even South Park is shocking. I still enjoy the Simpsons brand of humor and hope it lives on.

I was a big fan of Groening's "Hell" publications back in the day (i.e, Work is Hell, School is Hell, Love is Hell, etc.) but I had no idea he had a daily comic strip. Shows you how much I've been reading newspapers since '93.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts