Maximum amount of free PPV Certificates?

panache70

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 17, 2010
Western Hemisphere
For the past year, whenever I contacted Dish for whatever reason (by phone or by chat) I was usually offered 3 PPV certificates. I also received some for having autopay and paperless billing.

I think Dish has gotten very generous with the certificates since the fight with ESPN, Disney, Fox, etc.

Anyway, it would seem that I have been offered 12 PPV certificates over time (3 of which I never used and expired). The last time I contacted Dish about a billing issue, they offered me 3 PPV certificates again.

But this time, they said there was a "system limitation" on how many PPV certificates someone can be offered. Since I had already hit 12, they could not offer me any more.

I told them that 3 had expired and were never used, but it seems that the system does not care. I asked for cash equivalent, but they do not seem too keen on doing that.

I wonder if anyone out there knows how long you are barred from free PPV certificates once you hit 12, or if there is a way for someone at Dish to wipe the account clean of certificates once they have gone through the billing cycle?

I know I have been lucky to get so many, but if this is the tool Dish uses to resolve issues I would like to be able to benefit from it. If I am offered PPV certificates I should be able to use them, but after they offer me the certificates they say it can't be done...

Anyone know?

Guys, you are misunderstanding.

Out of the 12 that I received, I used 9 and 3 expired. I would have used all 12 but business trips and other obligations made it such that they expired before I could use them.

Nothing to do with greed. I was offered more, why would I say no?

My question is still the same:

I wonder if anyone out there knows how long you are barred from free PPV certificates once you hit 12, or if there is a way for someone at Dish to wipe the account clean of certificates once they have gone through the billing cycle?

If anyone has a specific answer to the question, please post... I would love to know.

Well, I've only been a Charlie customer since May, and I have already received 15 free PPV coupons. 5 for clubdish, 3 for autopay, 1 was a PPV coupon in my bill, 3 were via chat about a technical issue I was having, then the last 3 were via chat as well getting a billing correction taken care of.. Each time, they offered them without my asking.

Rodin, were all PPV Certificates listed on your online account? So you would have had coupon numbers 1001 to 1015 ? Is this correct?
For some reason online chat keeps telling me that I am blocked because I have hit 12 ... (1001 to 1012).

That's right, I have 1001 - 1015 listed on my account currently.
dish.png

Here is a part of the online chat I had today:

Me: I am still wondering why PPV certificates cannot be applied to the account.

Me: Can you tell me why?

(18-20) Thien T.RIM: unfortunatley there is a cap on the allowed and you have reached that so we can't set you up with anymore ppv coupons

Me: Ok, this is what they told me. But I know of others that have received more than 12 in less time... What is the cap (how many)? How long am I barred from receiving more PPV?

(18-20) Thien T.RIM: the 12 that you have receive is the cap and there is no set time of the cap

(18-20) Thien T.RIM: If you like movies then I would advise to subscribe to our premium packages to get movies

Me: So I would not be able to receive any more PPV certificates for life?

Me: That seems harsh, considering the agents seem to use PPV certificates as a customer service tool for almost everything (technical problems, programming issues, paperless billing, autopay etc). I am just trying to understand, thanks.

(18-20) Thien T.RIM: I wont' be able to tell you why other people have more ppv but there is a cap of 12 and unfortunately we wont' be able to get you more
Me: Forever.
Me: Cap does not come off after a certain amount of time has elapsed?

(18-20) Thien T.RIM: correct. at this time three is no time that it comes off
Me: So picture the situation when an agent tells me "Let me give you 3 PPVs" for whatever reason. They will continue to insist that the certificates will arrive ... but they don't.
Me: What are the options if cap is reached?

(18-20) Thien T.RIM: then they will need to check with their supervisor at that time

In the end, they agreed to credit me the cash equivalent of 6 PPV ... Seems silly. They could just remove the cap and avoid all this confusion with the agents that don't even know about the cap, and who insist that the certificates will come eventually.

Lesson learned I guess. If an agent offers you PPV certificates and you have hit the cap, ask for a supervisor and try to get cash equivalent.

Very strange outcome! I can only wonder if because I'm a new customer, that it bypassed that cap, or if the cap came in very recently.

as one of the pioneer subscribers (1995) I have received over 30 ppv........... in the last 3 months -it really doesnt matter I am happy to support Dish :)

Suggesting you just go away and use your ppvs, no one interested because all of us have received many many more---it sounds rather greedy and doesnt really contribute to the conversation.

Squeezon, the thread is not about being greedy. It was simply to understand if there really is a cap and what the cap is.
It would seem that the cap does not apply to all customers, and I am certain many here would like to find out who gets capped, why, and how many?
You may have received over 30 PPV and that's just great. Let's try and limit the comments on this thread to information about such a cap.

Thanks

They could just remove the cap...
Companies have 'rules', if you will, that don't simply allow people to "remove" information. Is a PPV certificate the same as old customer information (the data that doesn't allow a customer to quit and come back years later as a 'new' customer) ? No, of course not. Nonetheless, the ability to remove things has to be controlled.

Squeezon, 2 loyalty agents have confirmed this cap to me. Looks like the left hand is not talking to the right hand. If you provide me Valerie's e-mail, I will gladly bring her up to speed on my situation with copies of customer service chat logs to support my problem.

Companies have 'rules', if you will, that don't simply allow people to "remove" information. Is a PPV certificate the same as old customer information (the data that doesn't allow a customer to quit and come back years later as a 'new' customer) ? No, of course not. Nonetheless, the ability to remove things has to be controlled.

I quit and came back as a new customer... Or at least got new customer promotions... DISH had no problem...

Not surprisingly I was lied to by a Dish CSR...when I was advised a few weeks ago that 10 was the cap.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts