MAXIMUM AMOUNT OF RECORDING OF A SHOW ON DVR

nrholland

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 13, 2003
Tampa Bay Area
I have two 722s. When I set up a timer to record a certain show on a regular basis, I set up a certain amount of episodes to be recorded before it starts deleting the old ones. I don't want all my hard drive space used up.

For example, I record a show and have the maximum amount stored at 3. However, when I look in my recording, it shows that there are 7 or more episodes saved! Why is this? I told it to start deleting the old ones after there were 3 stored.

Is anyone else having this problem with their DVRs?

I've noticed that too. I don't think setting the max number is retroactive, in the sense that the receiver would immediately delete 17 older shows. You may have to get down to 3 before it starts working the way we expect.

I tried to use the feature in the past and it was not too useful. I wanted to use it on the evening news, I for example had it set at 7 recordings, that way I could go back a week. But, instead of just deleting the oldest episode and replacing it with a new episode it would just stop recording new episodes once it reached its quota. It has been a few years since I tested it, maybe they fixed it.

It definitely works fine on my 722. My son has a timer for "Sunny in Philly" with a 20 recording limit set and there are never more than 20 recordings and it is correctly getting rid of the older recordings and keeping the newer ones....

Is Dish aware of this problem and are they going to put a solution in their next software update?

Yeah, they're gonna set up some software to slap the s**t out of Lord Vader's kids for setting up programming overriding his preset programs.... :D

Consider that protected shows are not in the count. I think this means if you set auto-protect, then no shows will be deleted. I guess if you unprotected a bunch and were above the limit, they would not be deleted until after the next recording in general or of this show, don't know which.
-Ken

Is Dish aware of this problem and are they going to put a solution in their next software update?

What problem? If you set a limit it will record new or all episodes only to that limit. That's exactly what it is supposed to do.

I always thought that in order for it to actually start deleting shows at the limit you set, the following applies:

a.) Protected recordings won't be deleted.

b.) The DVR needs to be full.

In that case, there is nothing broken. Why worry about how much space it's taking up if your DVR isn't full? I'd only start worrying if it didn't delete the recordings when your DVR is full.

In other words, say you have two timers, one is set for "#" AKA unlimited, the other is set for 20 maximum events. Say your DVR is full. The recordings with the event limit would be the first candidate for deletion (oldest first.) If things get bad enough though, anything that's not protected is up for grabs. If you protect everything, it'll just stop recording.

It deletes when it reaches the limit but the disk does not need to be full.
I have a daily set to keep 4 and there are 3 protected--it keeps 7 total. Someday I may watch some of these.
Thus it does not remove any others nor block much space from EHD restores.
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)