Maximum Cable Run

allareasatellite

Original poster
Oct 18, 2005
I am installing either a dishnetwork or directv system in a 10,000 sq. ft. home. Problem is that the dish has to be 325' from the home... any suggestions? I was told that as long as i use quad sheilded rg-6 pure copper core cable and high quality connectors its a-ok!!!! I DOUBT IT.
Added headache... they also want high def!
HELP HELP HELP HELP

i have a customer that has about 300' between a dish 500 into a 34 switch, then to two 510's and two legacy receivers, all work fine.. when we first put the system in it was supposed to be for 7 receivers, but when we cascaded the switches the second switch wouldn't get anything at all. we ended up putting in two sets of dishes and switches. And we tried satellite signal boosters on both ends of the lines and everything we could think of....
moral of the story... you'll probably never know unless you just try it.
how many receviers are they wanting? how many and which satellite locations are you looking to hook up? reason i ask is that the 129 isn't picking up real strong and i'd be worried about that one dropping out.

hello I'm new to the board but thought i'd respond. I just installed my dish 500 about 300 ft away and tapped into my homes existing wiring which has be be at least another 75-100 feet. Everyone told me it wouldnt work, but it worked without a problem. I'm using Radio Shacks RG-6 cables which about 4 years old.

Anything beyond those lengths mentioned above, you might want to switch to RG-11 for at least some of the wiring to minimize your signal degradation.

Ditto.

Why fool around? Just run RG-11 From dish to the house. It isn't that expensive.

DP is only meant to go 200' max. with RG-6.

Just an FYI E* and D* dishes do not accommodate RG11 cables very well if at all depending on style of fittings.

You'll still have to make jumpers from the LNB to some where on the pole and bury RG11 from there to the mounting point of the DP34 switch on/in the house.

My advice set the pole and lay the cable with extra at both ends for burying and see if you can get a signal at the house before I'd bury the cable.

Hope you bring a trencher as that’s a lot of digging.

Run a small length of RG-6 from the dish to the ground where you should put in a ground in (your choice of ground) and put in the RG-11 cable from the female end of a ground system you devise or a barrelll connector. Then run that RG-11 cable to where the DP 34 switch will be and ground that. Then start your normal installation with RG-6 cabling inside the house. ;) Quad-shield on everything and RG-11 in the ground with a conduit trenched at least a few inches to a foot below the ground.

I wonder how much this installation will cost the customer. It'll cost a pretty penny from us, for sure!

Well if he direct buried it at $2 a foot (this what I charge to dig a trench with a border spade) over the 50' E* included in a standard install theres $550 just in burying the cable. If he wanted in it conduit (probably 1 3/4" to 2" to accomodate 3 RG11 lines) using PVC Schedule 40 which is about $1.50 to $2 a foot costing approx $600-$700 just for the conduit and pipe cement to put the peices together. Plus what ever the tech wants to charge to pull those 3 lines per foot or hour. Plus if he brings a trencher to bury the line he can up the per foot charge to cover the use of the trencher.

Hes over a $1500 just in the drop from the dish to the house. The retailer I'm working for in Omaha would have loved this guy.

Actually, retail installs include 150' feet of RG-6 and DNS jobs (Direct DISH sales, not retail) include 200' feet of RG-6. But regardless, it'll cost quite a bit like you mentioned. But since the house is 10,000 sq. ft. I don't think the customer couldn't fork over a few bills at least for the install. Around here, in MD, a 10,000 sq. ft. home can cost well over a million to two million.

They include that much RG6 cable yes, but read the back off the agreements they only cover 50' of burial on residential installs. That’s what I was talking about. If I was doing this job I'd charge for the RG11 per foot and to bury the cable over 50' and if they wanted it in conduit that would be extra also. I usually don’t track RG6 usage because it normally evens out betweens installs.

It was on the back of DNS agreements (the quad forms) under standard install that the HSP I was working for used from Dish. DHCP aggreements also mentioned it.

I'm looking on Dish site to as I know there was a FAQ entry at one point that stated what the standard install included.

The only reason I know is I got bit by it with a customer that reads every freakin line on the agreements front and back. I thought it was 25' and was going to charge them for about 15' of over bury.

Thanks guys for the resp... I did a dry run with 325' A-OK. The existing 300' of conduit was obstructed so he is getting an electrician to run the cable but my dry run looks good @ 325' with quad shielded solid copper core RG-6

Best long line run from dish to receivers for a stable signal was 550ft +- a few feet with 2 legacy duals to 2 sw21's and 2 legacy receivers. Signal locked solid at %91 on 119 tp 11.

Grounding of any dishnetwork switchs is not approved as these are currently not cleared for grounding by nec so be sure to ground the coax through normal grounding means. As of tuesday when I left the shop the first 50ft of line trenching is included free of charge in the installation of the system and up to 200ft of coax overall.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts