May Have Uncovered H20 Local Hd Audio Dropout Source

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pradike

SatelliteGuys Guru
Jan 26, 2004
SouthEast United States
I was going through the entire inventory of settings again today for my new H20 / AT9 MPEG4 DirecTV equipment install, and may have stumbled upon the cause and/or cure for the AUDIO DROPOUT PROBLEM for (only) the local HD channels.

When I turned off the Dolby Digital option in the H20 settings, the problem went away, and yet I was still getting Dolby output through my receiver.

It appears as though the activation of "Dolby Digital" in the H20 may conflct somehow with the Dolby processing/output in any conventional surround sound setup.

All I know at this point, is that the audio dropouts have disappeared, and DOlby Surround works fine on all cahnnels now, including HD locals.

Since I have not seen this posted anywhere else, and it has been a frustrating hiccup in an otherwise-outstanding equipement upgrade process, I wanted to share this.

The only problem I see with turning the Dolby Digital off on the STB is that if you have an Optical Connection then it will not come through, is that correct?? I have not tested it on the H20 but I know this was the case with the H10.

dblake15 said:
The only problem I see with turning the Dolby Digital off on the STB is that if you have an Optical Connection then it will not come through, is that correct?? I have not tested it on the H20 but I know this was the case with the H10.

thats correct

There seems the problem to only be with the HDMI connection

I have an analog connection and an optical connection. I only turn the optical connection on through the Home Theater setup on certain occasions. But I do have the box connected through HDMI. Are we now saying that I have to go back to component?? I love component but I have other accessories that are plugged into the component outlets and would like to keep using the HDMI, but don;t want the sound hiccup. So there is no way around this is there?? Does D* have any idea about this or should I not waste my time calling??

Thanks for your help.

They seem to have no idea as to what software release (patches) have gone out, nor do they know what the H20 even really looks like. This guys was in Advanced Technical support. What is going on over there?? I feel bad for the CSR's because they just get thrown into the fire. But I told him what was going on nonetheless. It will probably be swept under the rug.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts