May iOS 12 be damned

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Sometimes I type a letter, generally but not exclusively, at the beginning of a paragraph, and I see it, and it disappears. Several attempts might get it to stick. Or I type a space and it sticks. Sometimes, it turns into a different letter. Sometimes this happens in the middle of a word. In both the Reader app and Chrome, and even in Gmail.

And when typing a post, Reader and Chrome, sometimes the bottom line where I am typing goes below the top of the keyboard space. And (corrected from Nd) I can’t get down there to fix it. I have to post, then edit, perhaps by going to Chrome (which has its own problems).

The word “and” frequently gets changed to “Nd.”

Anyone else seeing these problems?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

AND ANOTHER THING:

Sometimes the screen freezes, especially in the Reader App. Only fix is to swipe it away and reenter. Maybe I’m touching the screen wrong and triggering it, because it only happens when I start to scroll.

I've only had trouble with the XS Max when I need to touch a hot spot of a web page or app in the upper right or left corner to side of the notch. have to try several times to get it to respond.

As for the keypad, I grew impatient ages ago typing long messages with my fingers or thumbs like my daughter does with her tiny thumbs. She is really fast and accurate but her thumbs are smaller than my pinky fingers and no callouses like I have. Instead, I find when I need to type any length, it's better to tap the microphone and just speak the response. The XS Max speech to text is far more accurate than my old 6+ was. Rarely do I need to correct a dictation.

I understand there is a capacitive pencil you can get if you have fingers like I have that solves the problem.

OK this is a test of speech to text posting in SatelliteGuys reader. wow works pretty good, Don. I will have to use this more. well it’s put Donna instead of Don but I guess I can fix that and the punctuation is missing.

Maybe with practice I can get it to use a period. Oh well that didn’t work out very well. Corrected by typing

This works much better than with the 6+. That one was so bad I never tried it again.

SWMBO is also getting frustrated with iOS 12.

Consider you are speaking to a person who has about 1 year of English language. Learn to speak in short phrases and allow space between sentences. Do not use most slang words or abbreviations. W will often be pronounced dubya or double-you unless it is accompanied with other letters. like UVWXYZ. In the old days before AI this text to speech was frustrating to down right funny at times. Just remember you are experiencing a text to speech that is constantly learning your accent and habits.

I have fun with Apple speak

If you say iphone ten you will get iphone 10. But if you say it like one word iphoneten you will get iphone X. If you say iphone XS Max you will get iphone XS Max pronouncing the letter X as EX, not ten. If you say iphone ten es you will still get iphone XS. Apple speak saying the alphabet does work and never inserts 10 or ten for X.

Your results may be different because I have a hard time saying the word ten everytime I see X or the word tennis when I see XS. So it has learned to type the right thing when I say iphone XS Max. and not iphone excess Max.

Reactions: navychop
Siri/voice transcription will recognize "comma" and insert the "," instead of the word comma. Same with most other punctuation marks.

Also, there are small Bluetooth keyboards that fold or roll up that you might find it easier to type on. That's usually an iPad trick, though, but the iPhone XS Max might qualify as a small tablet...;)

Reactions: navychop
BTW, without starting a new Thread, iOS v12.1.3 dropped today...

New tvOS and watchOS as well.

BTW, without starting a new Thread, iOS v12.1.3 dropped today...

New tvOS and watchOS as well.
This was foreshadowed by a blast of 82 different vulnerabilities in the preceding versions of the software that was posted by Homeland Security on January 7th. Apple always waits until they're ready to bump the rev level before they notify users about the problems. The magic part about the Apple vulnerabilities is that usually all but one or two products are subject to the vulnerabilities. That said, I don't think I've seen any that mention the Homepod by name.

Microsoft vehemently denies any problem exists until they think they have a fix. If the fix doesn't work, they write those users off as doing some incredibly unusual stuff (like testing release candidates). We saw this with the October Update to Windows 10 that was re-released in December.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)