Maybe a dumb ?, but I am asking for someone else, and need clarification...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

hillsmi

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
Michigan
I installed a WS FTA dish with standard LNB, aimed it at G19 (because others who have had the same equipment, that's all they've ever wanted), and connected to a Lexium FTA receiver for a gentleman today. Excellent S and Q readings. This is the only type of FTA setup I've ever installed, G19 for FTA, or also, more specifically, for Glorystar, if that is what the customer wanted.

He purchased from a man out of state, so I just assumed that they had corresponded, and he knew what he was getting, and just wanted me to install, because he wasn't able to 'get it right.'

I installed, showed him the basics of using the remote so he could now start surfing. I told him to just start surfing, and writing down channel numbers, so that he could eventually make a 'favs' list.

Well, he called me back a few hours later, asking how to get the 'locals'.

I told him that that type of setup is not built, or intended to receive locals, and that a seperate HD aerial would have to be installed and connected to the slave port on the back of the unit to receive, at a minimum, his locals.

He stated that the gentleman who sold him the Lexium receiver, said that he would be able to get 'everything' (locals, cable-type channels, etc, etc).

Am I correct in telling this gentleman that he's been taken by the person who sold him the dish, who told him that he could get the networks, and 'cable channels'?

Now, I know that there are a lot of you out there who motorize your dishes (I've never installed a motorized dish; so I wouldn't know where to begin), but, am I still correct in assuming that even if this is done, there is no way that any 'cable-type' channels will be received, let alone the networks? Because these signals are all scrambled / digitized, etc, or whatever the technical term is.

I told this gentleman that I would do some asking, just to make sure and return his call. He's ready to disconnect the FTA equipment, because he said that if he can't get locals, or other cable-type channels, that this equipment is not worth .02 to him.

Thank you for your input, and educating me further.

Yep... another dishonest reseller of FTA equipment.... Imagine that! ;)

Anything to make a sale.

You may find a few network feeds or occasional station from another part of the country, but basically this customer was lied to..... :eek:

Who was this reseller?

Yep I have seen this time and time again.

Hillsmi,

Yes, I must agree with the consensus here already in progress. The equipment seller either purposely lied to this gentleman to make a sale or the gentleman heard what he wanted to hear. That is a fair possibility, too. Unfortunately, some folks think that once they get their feet in the door that something magical is going to happen for them.

We have no way of knowing the whole truth in this matter, but the damage has already been done and there is no sense in this gentleman ripping the system out unless he spent an awful lot on money on the equipment and needs to recover it.

There are still lots of decent channels available up there and they are FREE. I wouldn't dabble with this hobby if it were not so. Maybe you can break the news to him with this in mind so that he doesn't take it as being had. If he had it in his mind that he was going to get something for nothing and it was his own idea, then I wouldn't support his endeavors by any means.

Either way it wasn't your error, so just put it to him honestly and let him make the final decision. If he is extremely upset, suggest that he take it up with an attorney or just chalk it up to experience, but I wouldn't get further involved. You may find yourself in a bad situation.

RADAR

Thank you all. I thought I was already in the right as to what I told him (in my OP). He was down in FL when he purchased this dish and unit from the dishonest seller. We are in MI.

I will call him tomorrow and confirm what I had already told him.

And as it is a good dish and unit (have the same myself in my house), I may offer to buy it from him, as I can use it to sell / install on another job. Only bad side is that it is 210 miles RT to retrieve the equipment.

I know that I wasn't in any wrong here, but feel bad that he got taken dishonestly once. I'm sure that he doesn't feel that I took him; I just did what he wanted, which was to install the equip (he was happy with my work when he left; until he started surfing, and called me three hrs later). But my price, due to miles traveled, and time on-site, probably would make him feel as though he got taken a second time. My install price was $175. My wholesale price on this dish / unit combo is just under $100, and I usually retail them out for $150, and then add another $150 for my quality install.

I'll call him tomorrow and break the bad news, confirming my original verbage to him, and offer to buy, if he is willing to sell.

Maybe suggest adding an inexpensive OTA receiver with an outdoor antenna if the customer is wanting to add local channels?

Hope that no reseller is implying or that customers think that that this equipment is in anyway associated with Glorystar! We have heard some pretty disappointing stories of bait and switch and other misleading information that comes to light when viewers call Glorystar for support only to find that they don't have the Glorystar automatic updating equipment or that Glorystar cannot assist them with the equipment that they purchased. :(

Last edited:
Don't feel too bad for that purchaser. Disreputable dealers or sellers of equipment only succeed because there are silly buyers who think they can get pay channels legally for no payment. It takes two to tango.

Disreputable dealers or sellers of equipment only succeed because there are silly buyers who think they can get pay channels legally for no payment
thats how a lot of crappy receivers came about. "New" company shows up...sells a bunch to people who steal...they get shut down...company out of business

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)