Status
Please reply by conversation.

Jimmy J

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 12, 2004
Wallingford, VT.
A little help fellars...

Currently with E*, and hate 'em. Thinking about goin' back to D*, but have a few questions before I make the call.

I'm at 05773 zip. D* offers locals from the Burlington area which is fine, but they're not HD. On the D* website there's a DNS tool where I put in my address and it says I'm eligible for 3 out of 4 distants. The 4th needing a waiver.

Question's:

Is this correct that I can get these distants, and are they in HD?
Are the new HD recievers MPEG4?

If I do sign up, I would want 1 HD DVR, 1 standard HD rcvr, 1 standard rcvr. I did the build programming package build on their website, and with the chosen programming and chosen equipment, totaol startup would run $298. Does this sound right?

I'm ready to dump E*, but just wanna make sure I'm gonna get the DNS networks in HD.

TIA.

JImmy,
You have to catch people that don't work if your expecting answers during the day :)

Yes

If I do sign up, I would want 1 HD DVR, 1 standard HD rcvr, 1 standard rcvr. I did the build programming package build on their website, and with the chosen programming and chosen equipment, totaol startup would run $298. Does this sound right?

As for the build on the website, you now know what that says, I would now call D* and talk to them and tell them that your leaving dish and what you want and see what they can do for you, you may find it to be cheaper that way.
I personally perfer to talk to someone than order online, you can get more ideas.
When you call them you may get different promos as well.

IF they consider you to be an actual new sub you could also get one of these promo's (you said come back, so I figured you were here before and D* is kinda picky aboutr giving promo's to people that have been here once.

Maybe this will also help, these would be with D*'s new programming packages.
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPage.jsp?assetId=2700001

Jimbo

JImmy,
You have to catch people that don't work if your expecting answers during the day :)

Yes

As for the build on the website, you now know what that says, I would now call D* and talk to them and tell them that your leaving dish and what you want and see what they can do for you, you may find it to be cheaper that way.
I personally perfer to talk to someone than order online, you can get more ideas.
When you call them you may get different promos as well.

IF they consider you to be an actual new sub you could also get one of these promo's (you said come back, so I figured you were here before and D* is kinda picky aboutr giving promo's to people that have been here once.

Maybe this will also help, these would be with D*'s new programming packages.
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPage.jsp?assetId=2700001

Jimbo

Well.

It's a done deal. Install is Sat. Here's what I'm getting....

2 year commitment, 1 HD DVR, 1 HD RCVR, 1 Standard Rcvr, HD Plus package, 3 of 4 DNS distant HD's, will be 4 when I get the waiver (already pre-approved) from our local CBS, free locals, protection plan, & free install, and $10 credit per month for the first year & a guarantee that if I'm NOT able to get distant HD's a full refund would be granted, 12 free HD pay per view movies.

My monthly will be just under $76.00 per month for the whole first year, then $86/month thereafter.

I hope I'm not making a huge mistake.

Last edited:
What was your start-up cost, if you don't mind me asking?

Total starup including tax $333.03. Here's the breakdown:

1) HD DVR; HR20 was $299 - $100 rebate = $199
1) HD Rcvr; H20 $99
1) Standar Def Rcvr; free

Total $298 + tax= $337.03

It's well worth it to me considering I'm currently with E*, they're making their big MPEG4 switch and want a considerable amount to make equipment upgrades for a bunch of crap that I don't wanna watch: VOOM!!!! I get all new MPEG 4 rcvrs except for 1, so I'll be set for the future. & The best reason of all is now I'll be able to recieve distant network HD feeds along with my standard def locals!!!! Something that E* lost their rights to do. I'm not in an area that's able to recieve OTA signals, so my only option for ANY HD network feeds at this point in time is thru DNS. Eventually our locals will be in HD, but who know's how long that'll take. When our locals do go HD, then I'll be able to either keep the distants or drop 'em.

I can't wait to see Lettman's ugly mug in HD!!!:D

Last edited:
Any chance you might even want/need that other 4th room down the road? That should be included free as well (up to 4 rooms)? Why not get it up front, or at least that possible room wired? Just an idea.

Also, I get this error trying to view your H/T; just thought you may want to know:

There seems to be a problem with the database server or it is closed for backups (early morning ET).
We are aware of the issue and working to resolve it.
Please try again by pressing the refresh button in your browser after a few minutes or try again later.

An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff automatically.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

Any chance you might even want/need that other 4th room down the road? That should be included free as well (up to 4 rooms)? Why not get it up front, or at least that possible room wired? Just an idea.

Also, I get this error trying to view your H/T; just thought you may want to know:

There seems to be a problem with the database server or it is closed for backups (early morning ET).
We are aware of the issue and working to resolve it.
Please try again by pressing the refresh button in your browser after a few minutes or try again later.

An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff automatically.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

Nah. I currently have a 4 room setup, and we hardly ever use it. I thought good and long about it.

Just tried my home theater link... it's working! Must have been a system fart earlier.

Last edited:
Total starup including tax $333.03. Here's the breakdown:

1) HD DVR; HR20 was $299 - $100 rebate = $199
1) HD Rcvr; H20 $99
1) Standar Def Rcvr; free

Total $298 + tax= $337.03

It's well worth it to me considering I'm currently with E*, they're making their big MPEG4 switch and want a considerable amount to make equipment upgrades for a bunch of crap that I don't wanna watch: VOOM!!!! I get all new MPEG 4 rcvrs except for 1, so I'll be set for the future. & The best reason of all is now I'll be able to recieve distant network HD feeds along with my standard def locals!!!! Something that E* lost their rights to do. I'm not in an area that's able to recieve OTA signals, so my only option for ANY HD network feeds at this point in time is thru DNS. Eventually our locals will be in HD, but who know's how long that'll take. When our locals do go HD, then I'll be able to either keep the distants or drop 'em.

I can't wait to see Lettman's ugly mug in HD!!!:D

Your start-up costs looks high. I signed up over the phone earlier this week and received the HD receiver for free after an instant rebate. The D* Web side also shows a free HD receiver after an instant rebate. Try to get back your $99.

If I buy a HR20 direct, do I still have to enter into a contract? Don't know if it is legit but I have seen them on Ebay for $299

Your start-up costs looks high. I signed up over the phone earlier this week and received the HD receiver for free after an instant rebate. The D* Web side also shows a free HD receiver after an instant rebate. Try to get back your $99.

Nope. It's because they considered me to be a returning customer, not NEW. Even though it been almost 5 years since my account was last active.

Oh well. Still worth it in the end to recieve DNS HD feeds!!!:hungry:

Nope. It's because they considered me to be a returning customer, not NEW. Even though it been almost 5 years since my account was last active.

Oh well. Still worth it in the end to recieve DNS HD feeds!!!:hungry:

You should have done what retention said to do, sign up under the wife name (if you're married) and got the new customer deal.

This has been an interesting perspective. Just last week, I left D* after being one of their "A" customers for about 10 years. I did it because I wanted more HD content now...and because their ViP 622 HD DVR really fits my personal needs better that my old D* Tivo HD DVR (allows me to connect a 2nd Tv and watch independednt programming via same box!)!

Now that I have E*, I find the ViP 622 works just as billed, but I miss the simplicity of the Tivo interface. But I do have one big problem...my OTA signals are constantly dropping out. I am convinced that this is due to how the equipment was wired, not the 622. A technician is coming on Saturday. If this cannot be fixed, then I can never have confidence that my OTA shows will record as planned. And that will be the dealbreaker...and I will be switching back.

So I have three more weeks in my 30 day satisfaction guaranteed period to get this fixed. Then I will be hoping I didn't make a bad decision.

This has been an interesting perspective. Just last week, I left D* after being one of their "A" customers for about 10 years. I did it because I wanted more HD content now...and because their ViP 622 HD DVR really fits my personal needs better that my old D* Tivo HD DVR (allows me to connect a 2nd Tv and watch independednt programming via same box!)!

Now that I have E*, I find the ViP 622 works just as billed, but I miss the simplicity of the Tivo interface. But I do have one big problem...my OTA signals are constantly dropping out. I am convinced that this is due to how the equipment was wired, not the 622. A technician is coming on Saturday. If this cannot be fixed, then I can never have confidence that my OTA shows will record as planned. And that will be the dealbreaker...and I will be switching back.

So I have three more weeks in my 30 day satisfaction guaranteed period to get this fixed. Then I will be hoping I didn't make a bad decision.

Sounds like you need a better OTA antenna. Are you using one that clips onto the dish itself, like the ones offered thru D*? If so, your better off doing a search on ANTENNAWEB.ORG and finding out exactly where your OTA's are coming from. Then choosing the appropriate antenna/'s.

Last edited:
Sounds like you need a better OTA antenna. Are you using one that clips onto the dish itself, like the ones offered thru D*? If so, your better off doing a search on ANTENNAWEB.ORG and finding out exactly where your OTA's are coming from. Then choosing the appropriate antenna.
Same high quality roof-top OTA antenna I had with D* and I am confident it is not the problem. I never had a signal problem before with this antenna, and when I get the signal on the 622, its pegging 90% plus. Its the wiring.

Same high quality roof-top OTA antenna I had with D* and I am confident it is not the problem. I never had a signal problem before with this antenna, and when I get the signal on the 622, its pegging 90% plus. Its the wiring.

Hmmm. Yeah, sounds like something is wrong. Possibly the downlead from the antenna, but who knows. It could be a number of things. Let us know how you make out.

Update:

No joy...

Installer came and it was determined that due to my location, I wouldn't be able to pick up all the necessary satellites for my install.

Promptly called D*, canceled my order and am being refunded all my fees.

So, in short I'm still with E*. Oh well.

Hmmm. Yeah, sounds like something is wrong. Possibly the downlead from the antenna, but who knows. It could be a number of things. Let us know how you make out.
Turns out. it was how the original installers wired things. They fed in the OTA BEFORE the DPP$$ switch...a big NO NO! I figured this out and went out and rewired it myself, and solved the problem. Another E* technician came by this morning and confirmed that I had done things right. He tiddied up everything and I am one happy camper now!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)